Good ole UPS

oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,290
In my neck of the woods we don't have many places to go listen to speakers.

I've been trying different speakers off and on for a while now. Order some, listen for a while and keep looking.

A few days ago, this is what UPS left out by the road. Although I was outside at the time of delivery, he just sat these on the ground next to where I was standing, got in his truck and off he went.

Perhaps I expect too much by way of customer/delivery service??????

Lovely boxes eh?

c44y5pdfsqw1.jpg
fbi6ulceqlun.jpg
2z569qvab6bj.jpg
katvtzpmflzo.jpg
77ybrka9syrm.jpg

All packed up and ready to return.
Dead tweeter in this guy.

dvewd4gac6td.jpg

Comments

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,579
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway. No harm though since it was extremely well packed by the manufacturer to survive UPS. Once he reached my front door, I picked the box up myself and carried it in my house! It had grab handles.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,851
    And the putz has a dolly
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,290
    Got some KEF's supposed to be here tomorrow, probably be the same guy :(

He'll carry them to the house this time, I just got a bad back..... >:)
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    You HOPE he'll carry it to the house. He might just stand by his truck and toss them at the front door!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,568
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Got some KEF's supposed to be here tomorrow, probably be the same guy :(

He'll carry them to the house this time, I just got a bad back..... >:)

What kind of KEFs?
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,290
    Trying the Q950's
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,628
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway. No harm though since it was extremely well packed by the manufacturer to survive UPS. Once he reached my front door, I picked the box up myself and carried it in my house! It had grab handles.

You hit on a key point, "extremely well packed by the manufacturer", which unfortunately too many don't do. I just had a pair of monitors here on demo. Each weighed 26lbs., so not a lot. They were packed one speaker per box with TWO soft bags protecting the finish, cradled top and bottom in spongy foam then TRIPLE boxed. Impressive!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,630
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I bought a 34" curved widescreen computer monitor a couple months ago. Large and awkward double boxing. Saw the UPS guy tipping the box end over end all the way up my driveway.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And the putz has a dolly

FedEx gets their licks in too. It really depends on the attitude of the driver though.

At the beginning of the year FedEx delivered a 55" OLED TV to my home. I was expecting a morning delivery and I heard the truck when it stopped in front of my house. I stood at the front door as the driver went to unload my TV. To my horror, she began rolling the long, flat box end-over-end across my lawn. I screamed out "Lady STOP! That's a glass panel television!". She stopped and I ran out to her. I asked her why didn't she use the dolly that I KNEW had to be on the truck. She said the box was heavy (62.5 lbs.) and she didn't feel like putting it on the dolly (but she felt like rolling it end-over-end to my door). I asked her to show me where her dolly was. She did and I wheeled the TV inside my house myself. She was supposed to wait until I inspected for damage, but she said she didn't have time for that. I noted her refusal on the acceptance bill and I notified the shipper of the horrible delivery service.

My second 55" OLED TV was also delivered by FedEx, but the driver rolled the TV inside my house. He was courteous, professional, and waited until I inspected the TV for damage before leaving.
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,615
    Does the first TV work?
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Yes. No problems at all. I inspected its physical and electrical condition immediately after the FedEx driver left.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • Geoff4rfcGeoff4rfc Posts: 1,786

FedEx gets their licks in too. It really depends on the attitude of the driver though.

Exactly!! I've had horrible drivers but my latest is a fairly young gal that's a bit petite. She has a dolly and will even knock on my door and ask me for help if she needs it, she knows I'm glad to.

Just today she did that very thing, it was a box with a pair of LSiM702's, she said, it's kinda heavy for me, but probably not for you!! She's a good kid :)
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

HT
    Source: Panasonic UB9000 - Display: LG OLED 65 8B
    Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2

2CH
    Emotiva: ERC 3 connected via XLR's

Speakers
    PolkAudio Mains: LSiM707, C-706, SS: 702F/X, RS: RTiA9

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,615
    LOL. Kudos to unknown manufacturing/packaging company.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,982
    I watched the UPS guy walk on my Magnepan MG20 boxes, and by the look of them, he had been doing it all day. I went off on the guy.... I swear they get the circus gorilla rejects.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,653
    :s Crazy!!

It's like a guy with a big belt buckle working on an engine leaning over a fender! STUPIDS! >:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 4,114
    Great. You guys have me all nervous. UPS is delivering my replacement Auralic this week 😐
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    Maybe you'll get an empathetic driver to deliver it. B)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,982
    Tony M wrote: »
    Maybe you'll get an apathetic driver to deliver it. B)

Fixed to reflect the most likely scenario...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,398
    Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house. The sad part is I told the seller not to let them do the packing.bo57nxiplfua.jpg
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg
    Ouch!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 4,114
    Wow. Terrible.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 15,577
    That'll buff right out
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,851
    Lesson learned-I've thought about letting FedEx pack shipments so they would be held accountable

Guess it only gets packed well pending on who's doing the packing :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,834
    Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house. The sad part is I told the seller not to let them do the packing.bo57nxiplfua.jpg
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg

good thing is if it's damaged they can't deny the claim as they packed it.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Lesson learned-I've thought about letting FedEx pack shipments so they would be held accountable

Guess it only gets packed well pending on who's doing the packing :'(

FedEx only has bubble wrap and peanuts for packing material. Neither is sufficient for audio/video gear.

President of Club Polk

Good ole Fedex is no better. This tuner was packed by them and only had to travel about 100 miles to my house.
    w59ffq17xqfi.jpg

That looks deliberate.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,398
    My guess is it got speared by a forklift. Probably didnt even make to the truck in one piece
    My guess is that it got thrown and landed on its face.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,223
    edited July 2019
    My guess is that it got thrown and landed on its face.

Agree,

Forklift would have a lot more damage and a big fork hole going through the box. I'm a warehouse manager and I see a lot of broken computer equipment come in. If it goes FedEx, UPS or OnTrac it will get tossed, stepped on and dropped. Just today the FedEx guy tossed a $3500 scanner on my dock, like dude what the... I just finished the RMA on it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    WOW. :o

I'm glad you're sending it back!