In need of some construction advice.

I am torn on this decision, and would like some input from you guys, as I hold a great deal of respect for your opinion.

My conundrum lies in the door swing in the home theater I am building. In the sketches below, you can see that the entrance to my new theater room is in the front right corner (I would have preferred a mid-wall entrance, but that was not an option). If I have the traditional in-swing door (32”), that leaves only 70” between the front speakers, after allowing for the door swing and rest against the front wall, and symmetrical speaker placement.

What I want to do, is install the door as an out-swing, which easily allows for about 88” between the speakers. I know it is not traditional for the door to a room to swing out into the hallway, but in this application, I think it makes a lot of sense. I checked local codes, and this poses no violation. The hallway is not narrow at all, at 40”, so the door resting out there would pose no constriction of movement into the room.

As an added bonus, I already have a 32” right hinge door, so this would save $70 on construction.

What think you all? Is this something I will regret later, or should I go for it?

cadvk4jznrso.jpeg
batetjw3a1z8.jpeg
me5pquhg06mx.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    Any way to install a pocket door?
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Any way to install a pocket door?

Unfortunately no:-(
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    Bummer. Too bad you can't relocate the light switches to the wall to the left of the door.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited July 2019
    I like your idea. B)

Just put PULL and PUSH plaques on the door. You'll be fine and you're doing great by planning ahead "on paper". ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Go for it! Out swing into the hallway, no big, IMO.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    @daddyjt - if you need lighting let me know. I work as a factory rep for many lines of lighting and controls. Can get you factory direct pricing. Happy to help if I can! Fun project. I built out my basement a couple of years ago. Super rewarding when it’s all done. And for what it’s worth, I think the outswing would be the best solution!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Nothing wrong with an outswinger. I have one for a smallish bedroom that makes the room easier to use.

A question though. Do you really need a door at all? Unless the room is sound proofed, chances are the sound produced in the room will be heard throughout the house regardless of whether a door is there or not.

Looks like it'll be a nice space!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    JayMX wrote: »
    @daddyjt - if you need lighting let me know. I work as a factory rep for many lines of lighting and controls. Can get you factory direct pricing. Happy to help if I can! Fun project. I built out my basement a couple of years ago. Super rewarding when it’s all done. And for what it’s worth, I think the outswing would be the best solution!

Define lighting? Like Insteon.... Phillip Smart bulbs, etc...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • daddyjt
    JayMX wrote: »

Thanks jay - are there any cool options for LED can lights and dimmers? I have six cans in the ceiling, arrayed in pairs (front, mid and rear), each pair with their own switch...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with an outswinger. I have one for a smallish bedroom that makes the room easier to use.

A question though. Do you really need a door at all? Unless the room is sound proofed, chances are the sound produced in the room will be heard throughout the house regardless of whether a door is there or not.

Looks like it'll be a nice space!

Although I did insulate every wall with R13, and R19 in the ceiling, it will be far from soundproof - that ship sailed about 5 amps and two velodyne subs ago, lol. I insulated more for deadening the walls for the sound inside the room. I want a door more for acoustics, I think, to keep sound reflections as equal as possible between L+R. On that note, I HATE the small intrusion above he door from the HVAC, but I didn’t want to run the drop down the entire width of the room. The perils of basements...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    How about a sliding "barn-door" type?

Now that’s an idea I hadn’t considered... I know what I’ll be googling tonight.

Any experience with them, or suggestions?

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Friendly GC here ;)
    The swing on the door does not matter one bit. Actually, an outswing door would be considered “better” for a means of egress in case your HT catches fire and you need to get out in a hurry.

Install it whichever way you want. It’s your home and not a commercially ADA/FHA complaint space.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    daddyjt wrote: »

All the rage now that totally slipped my mind as well
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

That is the door type in my bedroom’s bathroom.

za3cmqerjjrl.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

I think this is a great idea.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087

Doors that swing out would be fine. :)

kon0fcoer91v.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    BlueFox wrote: »

That is the door type in my bedroom’s bathroom.

za3cmqerjjrl.jpeg

No Bud that is a pocket door.
  • BlueFox
    Well, it slides closed and open. What is a sliding door?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    Rails are outside of the wall, like on barns all hardware is exposed
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    b00zk4vjw64f.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    They're very popular right now. Many styles to choose from. Shaker cabinets are popular now too.
    xbkjp2nr9u62.jpg
  • BlueFox
    Okay. For what the question was about it appears the pocket door would be the best option. Learn something every once in a while on Club Polk. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Okay. For what the question was about it appears the pocket door would be the best option. Learn something every once in a while on Club Polk. :)

Yes but due to construction probably it is not possible according to @daddyjt
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    What's in the little room between the hallway and "closet" in the media room? Is that a bathroom, or, a closet? That could be an option for entry.
  • daddyjt
    kharp1 wrote: »
    What's in the little room between the hallway and "closet" in the media room? Is that a bathroom, or, a closet? That could be an option for entry.

That’s the closet for the guest room - not really an option for entry.

To have the full 16’ length in the HT, that room had to be at the end of the basement - the guest room is only about 12’5” x 14’, as the 3’6” hallway runs that span. Media room (closet) is 5’x8’, and guest closet is about 5’x5’.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hippie beads

Yet another option I had not considered :smile:

Might be fun seeing how much they move during the club scenes in John Wick...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    edited July 2019
    Define lighting? Like Insteon.... Phillip Smart bulbs, etc...

Any and all! Primarily commercial, so if you need an explosion-proof exit sign I can hook you up! 😂
    are there any cool options for LED can lights and dimmers? I have six cans in the ceiling, arrayed in pairs (front, mid and rear), each pair with their own switch...

In my basement I used some LED downlights from Juno that dim to warm like an incandescent would and they dim very low - almost to a candlelight glow with no flicker. They also offer several nice trim options.
    https://juno.acuitybrands.com/products/detail/660670/juno/ic1rled-600lm-wd-remodel-housing/warmdim-led-4in-round-remodel-housing
    I like using the remodel cans because you can easily remove them from below for service or replacement and if you plan your A/V cable paths, they provide a good way to access things if you need to re-pull wiring or make changes. If you want to see them dim, you’re welcome to stop by for a demo, but you can’t make fun of my poor man's audio rig!

That said, from your photo above it looks like you may have already installed some (6” ?) cans. If so, you can get 6” retrofit LED modules from Juno with the same warm dim technology.
    https://juno.acuitybrands.com/products/detail/660784/juno/j6rl-wd-trim/warmdim-led-6in-round-retrofit-downlight
    If you’ve used a different diameter, let me know and we'll explore other options.

For wallbox dimming, Lutron is usually the best route. Their Caseta line is very nice. https://www.casetawireless.com/ I can check on compatibility with the Juno fixtures if you want to explore them. I’ve also heard good things about Legrand's Radiant line as well. https://www.legrand.us/radiant/products/smart-lighting.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo4CRx8mp4wIVA9vACh1N2g5wEAAYASADEgIgpfD_BwE
    Both of those systems can be tied to Alexa/Google/HomeKit for that extra bling factor.

We have tons of options if these don’t float your boat. Happy to help out a neighbor and fellow junkie!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.