Ordered a PS Audio S300 today ....

gyosa
gyosa Posts: 675
Took the plunge ...
Gonna use it on the Salks ....
Should be here sometime next week ......
I appreciate everyone’s input.....
BK
Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Congrats, nice choice. What preamp will you be using with it?
  • gyosa
    Maybe my ps audio 4.6 .... have always used it in straight wire mode ...
    Maybe nothing .....
    May just connect the wxc-50 directly to the amp .... that’s what the straight wire mode on the 4.6 does anyway.....
    May connect it to the Onkyo’s pre-outs......

Problem is it’s going in the den which is where the tv is ...
    Currently running tv and Blu-ray player thru the onkyo ... wife is electronically illiterate, so she likes the functionality of the hdmi ARC and using one remote to control everything ...

May put a switch between onkyo/S300 and speakers to switch the Salks between onkyo and s300 depending on whether using tv or dedicated 2 channel music ....

Dunno , gonna have to play with it and see what works best ....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Do you have a harmony remote?
  • gyosa
    edited July 2019
    No ,
    That’s not the issue ....

Need to run the s300 and salks as a dedicated 2 ch system , and also need to run the tv and stuff on the salks as well ... switch will do the trick ...just switch speakers between s300 and onkyo as needed ...

Issue is volume control when in 2 ch mode , as well as switching between tv , streamer , chromecast and blue ray- with DISH remote .... all equipment is in cabinet with doors ...
    Onkyo has HDMI ARC / CEC control and will control ALL components as is set up now - even streamer...

Gonna try hooking up s300 to onkyo pre-outs first - run salks off of s300... onkyo amp section will be dormant - I hope - and then I gain all the functionality of the onkyos preamp/processor...

If that sounds like **** , I’ll use a switch .... prob get better 2 ch sound that way anyway...

what I need is a 2ch preamp with HDMI ARC/CEC - at a reasonable price- but apparently they don’t exist....

my streamer , Yamaha wxc-50 , has an optical input .... could do that for tv - run everything into tv , then fron tv to Yamaha via optical .... but then the dish remote won’t control it ..... this is how the bedroom system is set up .... works great , but less than ideal for wife .... she can’t figure it out !😊

As I said , wife and kid are hifi illiterate ....
    They need easy peazy....

Bk

joecoulson wrote: »
    Do you have a harmony remote?

Post edited by gyosa on

• gyosa
    edited July 2019
    I think we can do that ....👍
    Arlington , right ?
    I’m in M Streets ... lower Greenville av....

Bk

• gyosa
    edited July 2019
    My goal was to have decent amplification for these outstanding Salks without breaking the bank - got a wife ya know - for 2 ch listening...
    A21 will not fit in cabinet
    Most of my listening is done either in bedroom or poolside - not the den ...
    Bedroom system is fantastic with the A21 and 1c’s.....
    Pool is fantastic as well - for a pool - with the B&K and BA’s...
    So the den is primarily TV , but I want an amp that will do the salks justice for music....
    AVR’s suck

Bk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    gyosa wrote: »
    My goal was to have decent amplification for these outstanding Salks without breaking the bank - got a wife ya know - for 2 ch listening...
    A21 will not fit in cabinet
    Most of my listening is done either in bedroom or poolside - not the den ...
    Bedroom system is fantastic with the A21 and 1c’s.....
    Pool is fantastic as well - for a pool - with the B&K and BA’s...
    So the den is primarily TV , but I want an amp that will do the salks justice for music....
    AVR’s suck

Bk

A dedicated preamp with an HT pass through is what you need. You'll get the best of both worlds for your dedicated 2-channel listening and the ease of use on the HT for your wife :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2019
    Is the only reason the A21 is being replaced is due to it not fitting in the cabinet? I have read some good reviews on that S300. Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the results of the S300 and your A21 once hooked up to your Salks.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    edited July 2019
    I think we can do that ....👍
    Arlington , right ?
    I’m in M Streets ... lower Greenville av....

Bk

Can I crash this party? Always wanted to hear these.

I'll bring beverages :)
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I thought about that S300, Audio Advisor had a demo unit for sale a while back that I was interested in. I will be waiting for the OPs impressions on it once he gets it hooked up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    DSkip wrote: »
    After you get it in and broken in, I hope you'll consider bringing it over one afternoon so I can put it through its paces. o:)
    And rip it a new one, Skip? ;)o:)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm interested in you hearing it, Skip. I've always enjoyed our conversations on audio gear. We often hear things the same, with a few exceptions, and I trust your ear and honesty. I know you'll be able to relate it to something we've both heard and can give me what I would consider a "best next to my own ears" synopsis.
  • gyosa
    I think what I’ll do is hook it up to pool system for couple hundred hours to burn in 10 hrs a day or so .... then hook up to den ...
    Don’t really have interest in it till it’s broken in ...😊
    But , yeah , let’s let skip put it through it’s paces on some high quality gear ....
    The more the merrier , especially if alcohol is involved ......

Bk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i can bring some cups B)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • gyosa
    edited July 2019
    Sounds like a party !

BK

• gyosa
    Hey ,
    120 posts !
    Only took 18 months !
    Am I family now ?
    😊

Bk

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm interested in you hearing it, Skip. I've always enjoyed our conversations on audio gear. We often hear things the same, with a few exceptions, and I trust your ear and honesty. I know you'll be able to relate it to something we've both heard and can give me what I would consider a "best next to my own ears" synopsis.
    I feel this way with Joe and Drew. We have, all three, gone all-in on this PSA gear, and shared our experiences on- and off-line compared to other gear.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    jdjohn wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I feel this way with Joe and Drew. We have, all three, gone all-in on this PSA gear, and shared our experiences on- and off-line compared to other gear.

Yeah, but you guys don't REALLY count...isn't one of you Canadian, or something? :)
  • joecoulson
    No not at all, we are just normal and down to earth. Quite different it seems.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Took the plunge ...
    Gonna use it on the Salks ....
    BK
    Following...

jdjohn wrote: »

I might be joining the 3 amigos!
    Or moving on to something similar/cool running for the summer months.
    No one really thinks of Michigan as a warm climate. But when summers temps and heat index are close to triple digits and humidity is 85% . . . it can be a little like south Florida at times.

All these tubes don’t generate this much heat in the winter!!

(I know they do!)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey ,
    120 posts !
    Only took 18 months !
    Am I family now ?
    😊

Bk

For sure brother, although you gotta pick up the pace a bit! We expect at least 100 posts from you just on this S300! Pics too! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Open the damn box already!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gyosa
    Ok ......

Ha ha ...

Bk

hapqw13oc69v.jpg

• Clipdat
    It appears you selected the wrong color, I am terribly sorry for your grave mistake.
  • gyosa
    Just kidding on that last one 😊

Damn ,
    Heavier than I expected .....
    Question is .....
    Which is OFF , “0” or “-“ ?

Appears to be very solidly well built...

Bk

Bkky4rjfm1fjat.jpg
    f7c5bq97i4lr.jpg

• gyosa
    edited July 2019
    Yeah ...
    He had a spare silver one on hand at a lower price than black .....
    Gonna go in a cabinet anyways, so no one will see my mistake !
    😊😊

Bk
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It appears you selected the wrong color, I am terribly sorry for your grave mistake.

• Clipdat
    edited July 2019
    Question is .....
    Which is OFF , “0” or “-“ ?]

0 = off
    - = on

And use the balanced XLR inputs if at all possible.
  • joecoulson
    See Drew, I’m not the only one. 😂