Will my system work?

Comments

• Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    Romo11 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I think I have some good news coming tomorrow. My wife has graciously agreed to bribe my two son-in-laws and there families,(my two daughters and my two grandchildren) by grilling out steaks tomorrow and helping me get these subs hooked up. Time will tell but, I’m hoping it is going to happen. I can’t really blame the boys because they are working and making money. I sure this is going to work and sound good because, I’m still looking at amps (just in case) and these things are expensive.
    I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather that we get this time of year. I have missed talking to everyone but I don’t want to just talk for the sake of talking.
    I know you have a life too.
    Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow.
    Oh, by the way, it seems that all of a sudden, my speakers have gotten better. There must be something to this breaking in theory.

Rob

My apologies for my poor grammar. I know that “there families” is supposed to be “their families”. I would like to blame it on spell check but I have no idea what happened.
    Also “I sure” is “I’m sure”. Please forgive me.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Where are you located?
  • Romo11
    edited June 2019
    Outside of Charlotte NC in a town called Concord, about 25-30 miles northeast of Charlotte.
  • Romo11
    Hello to everyone. I guess you thought I had fallen off the edge of the world. I have two grandchildren and they are both into sports. The girl just turned eleven on the 12th and she plays softball and volleyball. My grandson is seven, eight next month and loves and plays basketball and baseball. They are very active and have games going on almost all the time.
    The reason I’m telling you this is because as much as I want to get my system up and running, my grandchildren are more important to me and my wife.
    I finally got my two sons-in-law to help me and it took a long time to get everything ready. We ran out of time so I’ve been on my own this week.
    I hooked them up today and ran the YPAO and noticed that the Yamaha only saw one of my two SVS SB 4000 subs. I don’t know what could be wrong. I think I followed the procedure for connecting two subs, connecting the cable from the sub one on the AVR to the LFE on the back of the sub and connecting the other cable from the sub 2 connection on my AVR to the LFE on my second sub. Please tell me that I didn’t do something correct and it is a simple fix.
    Also, I have two 12v triggers on the back of my AVR and I don’t know how to get them both to turn on the subs when connecting to the trigger on my subs. I know I have two trigger out connects but, if I decide to get an amp latter, how can I hook all three up. Get a Y splitter and use two trigger cables out of one trigger out? Please tell me how to fix these problems, as I’m getting stressed out.
    Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Rob
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Is there any setting where you select how many subs there is in your system? I've never setup a Yamaha with dual subs. Try switching cables. The 12v trigger is for when you add an amp. Sub should be set to auto.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Subs should go idle on their own after not receiving a signal for a certain period of time.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2019
    Check the back of your SVS and make sure it is set auto, that way when they detect a signal they will automatically go on. if not signal after a while they will automatically turn off. No need for a trigger. Also make sure you have the volume to the halfway mark.

Next go back into your setup menu and go to the subwoofer setting and make sure you told the system that you have two amps.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    See page 134 of your manual. In the Speaker configuration menu, make sure both subwoofers are set to "use." Then you can select your subwoofer layout setting.
  • Romo11
    Well, I tried everything that was suggested and still no luck. I switched the inputs to the other speaker that didn’t work to the speaker that does, and the one that didn’t work, still didn’t work. The lights come on and, turns on, when I start playing something on the receiver.
    Is it possible that there is a setting that could be wrong on the one that doesn’t work, or is the amp dead? Unless someone can offer a solution that works, I will call SVS.
    What a rotten thing to be happening to a otherwise Great Father’s Day!
    I hope every Father had a GREAT DAY!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Is there a setting to enable second sub within the amp settings?
    Can you swap cables and see if the second output is active?
  • Romo11
    I know I wasn’t very clear but I tried the bad sub on both sub one out and sub two out with the same cable that worked on just the good sub, and the one sub wouldn’t work with either cable, but the sub that did work, worked with either cable.
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Is there a setting to enable second sub within the amp settings?
    Can you swap cables and see if the second output is active?

I can’t find a setting for the second sub but will keep looking.

I did swap cables and it didn’t matter. I switched the cable that was working on the one amp and it didn’t work so, I know both cables are good.
    I know I kinda repeated myself just now but just trying to not be so confusing.
    I think I have failed.

• joecoulson
    Well with that check, I think you have proved that there seems to be issues with the sub for sure. If one works and the other does not with the same setup. SVS customer service is fantastic
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Also, I have two 12v triggers on the back of my AVR and I don’t know how to get them both to turn on the subs when connecting to the trigger on my subs. I know I have two trigger out connects but, if I decide to get an amp latter, how can I hook all three up. Get a Y splitter and use two trigger cables out of one trigger out? Please tell me how to fix these problems, as I’m getting stressed out.

Rob

Glad you had a great day!!!

Triggers are highly overrated IMO. I've used them before and they are pretty cool however I leave my amps on anyway unless I'll be gone for more than a couple of days, then I cut power to the entire system.

When I'm running my dual subs, they have their own wall socket and I use a "good" RCA cable however when I am able to run my subs again, I have a "decent" balanced cable waiting for them :)

Also, if you really want to have everything on triggers...…..there's always this

https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/et-3

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mdaudioguy
    Is there a setting to enable second sub within the amp settings
    I can’t find a setting for the second sub but will keep looking.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    See page 134 of your manual. In the Speaker configuration menu, make sure both subwoofers are set to "use." Then you can select your subwoofer layout setting.
    Did you read page 134 and set your receiver accordingly? (Both subs set to "USE"?)

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/1197630/web_AV17-0221_RX-A3080_2080_om_UCRABGLF_En_B0.pdf
  • Romo11

Did you read page 134 and set your receiver accordingly? (Both subs set to "USE"?)

Yes I did.

Sorry for the slow response. My wife and I have our grandson for the next three days and he wants my attention all of his waking hours and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
    It’s also impossible to call SVS until my wife can take him somewhere for several hours.
    Please keep your fingers crossed for me but, I’m afraid that with the research I’ve done, the amp is probably dead.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2019
    Sorry everyone. I didn’t realize that we had gone to page two so, I’ve got more reading to do and I’m trying to decide my next purchase. Hopefully the answer is here for me. I’ll write later, either tonight or tomorrow and hoping to make a decision soon. Thanks and keep em coming.
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I will say that for subs, still bang for your buck new on a budget it pretty much comes down to SVS or HSU. And ever since SVS was purchased by the same company that owns monster, they don't quite offer the crazy value they used to (although the value for your $ is still very high). If you want to get the most for the $ and size is not an issue, HSU is the one to beat...
    OP: MAKE ONE CHANGE AT A TIME! The only way you can possibly appreciate the improvement(s), If any. That said...

SUUUUUB(S)!! Then you’ll have all your sound producing components. Consider two positioned asymmetrically. Make and model, well... if you’ve read all sub advice, determine what fits in your next-purchase budget.

Next: AAAAAAMP for your LCR (minimum). All channels if you can swing it. Far less likely to blow tweeters w/HQ power.

Welcome to CP & enjoy the journey! Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Hey everyone,
    I’ve been reading up on amps and think I have Outlaw 7700 200 watts
    Outlaw 7220 220 watts per channel,
    Monolith 200 watts
    Do any of these Amps require a pre-Amp?
    Yes but... if your AVR has pre-amp outputs you’re set!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Romo11
    Well, I did get a chance to email SVS. They responded quickly, and sent instructions on how to narrow the problem down. Hoping that I can get an opportunity in the next few days to test it out but considering how my mobility is very limited, I’ll need some help from one of my sons-in-law.
    Thanks to everyone’s responses so far.
  • Romo11
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Also, I have two 12v triggers on the back of my AVR and I don’t know how to get them both to turn on the subs when connecting to the trigger on my subs. I know I have two trigger out connects but, if I decide to get an amp latter, ho
    w can I hook all three up. Get a Y splitter and use two trigger cables out of one trigger out? Please tell me how to fix these problems, as I’m getting stressed out.

Rob

Glad you had a great day!!!

Triggers are highly overrated IMO. I've used them before and they are pretty cool however I leave my amps on anyway unless I'll be gone for more than a couple of days, then I cut power to the entire system.

When I'm running my dual subs, they have their own wall socket and I use a "good" RCA cable however when I am able to run my subs again, I have a "decent" balanced cable waiting for them :)

Also, if you really want to have everything on triggers...…..there's always this

https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/et-3

After your and others opinions, I’ve decided to go auto, unless I get a lot of other responses that are different.
    After seeing the triggers on my subs, I just assumed that that was the way to go. I appreciate everyone that keeps this guy straight.

• mdaudioguy
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Sorry everyone. I didn’t realize that we had gone to page two so, I’ve got more reading to do and I’m trying to decide my next purchase. Hopefully the answer is here for me. I’ll write later, either tonight or tomorrow and hoping to make a decision soon. Thanks and keep em coming.
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I will say that for subs, still bang for your buck new on a budget it pretty much comes down to SVS or HSU. And ever since SVS was purchased by the same company that owns monster, they don't quite offer the crazy value they used to (although the value for your $ is still very high). If you want to get the most for the $ and size is not an issue, HSU is the one to beat...
    SUUUUUB(S)!! Then you’ll have all your sound producing components. Consider two positioned asymmetrically. Make and model, well... if you’ve read all sub advice, determine what fits in your next-purchase budget.

Dude, how much of this thread have you read? He's already got two subs and is having an issue setting them up...
  • gp4jesus
    edited June 2019
    Dude, how much of this thread have you read? He's already got two subs and is having an issue setting them up...
    i am soo very sorry for not slowing down to read and wasting the electrons.

Thnx for keeping me straight “M!”

Keep truckin’ Rob.

Tony

• Romo11
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    i am soo very sorry for not slowing down to read and wasting the electrons.

Thnx for keeping me straight “M!”

Keep truckin’ Rob.

Tony

No problem, I understand. I’m just glad to get the advice.

Rob

• Geoff4rfc
    WOOHOO!!!!!
    Can anyone tell what I’m about to say?

Rob

LOL, happy days amigo, happy days!!!!!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • joecoulson
    Sweet man. Enjoy your BASS!!
  • Romo11
    WOOHOO!!!!!

Rob

Thanks guys. I’m not finished but, I’m getting closer. I have a feeling, after being here a while, that you never get finished.

• Geoff4rfc
    WOOHOO!!!!!

Rob

Thanks guys. I’m not finished but, I’m getting closer. I have a feeling, after being here a while, that you never get finished.

LOL, somewhere in my signature is a reference to quicksand :smiley:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Romo11...again welcome to Club Polk and the rabbit hole :)

Glad everything is working out and playing well. Most of all enjoy your system.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Great to get an update from you...especially since it's a positive one. You've put together a great system and I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

Lurking is all well and good, but I hope you post from time to time. The forum needs more people like you as active members IMO.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden