hdmi cables.....

French_guy
French_guy Posts: 338
Hello
Can I expect better picture quality with hdmi cables in the $20/$30 range compared to the "basic" stuff that are under $10 like Amazon Basics and the like?
Or it won't make any difference until i pay > $60 for some AudioQuest Cinamon for example?
Looking for some decent hdmi cable (6ft) that brings a plus without breaking the bank...

Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
No surround...yet
Post edited by French_guy on

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You will probably see/hear an improvement with these:

https://www.thecableco.com/pearl-hdmi-2-0-cable.html
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    French_guy wrote: »
    Hello
    Can I expect better picture quality with hdmi cables in the $20/$30 range compared to the "basic" stuff that are under $10 like Amazon Basics and the like?
    Or it won't make any difference until i pay > $60 for some AudioQuest Cinamon for example?
    Looking for some decent hdmi cable (6ft) that brings a plus without breaking the bank...

Thanks
    Hello

Thanks

Go with the audioquest and don't look back.

Cables are like shoes in my opinion, not a whole lot of difference in the same price ranges, but when you jump up a decent amount, quality shows it's worth.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • B67
    B67 Posts: 4
    Hi,

I would go with AudioQuest. You will see the difference. I used basic HDMI, but the AudioQuest make really a different.

Greetz

Burt
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    +20 on the Audioquest

Wirelogic at Costco are good and made by Audioquest https://www.costco.com/WireLogic-12-Feet-Sapphire-HDMI-Cable-2-pack.product.100376910.html

I either have AQ or the wirelogic in my house.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • French_guy
    Interesting ......right now, I have these Costco cables between receiver and tv
    Which AQ should I really look for: Pearl, Forest or Cinnamon?
    No surround...yet
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited March 2019
    When I wall-mounted my plasma I needed longer cables, I went with the pearl then cinnamon going from Belden Series FE bonded from BJC.

The belden stuff works fine, but I did notice a slightly cleaner pic going to the Cinnamon when watching Blu Ray.

We have the Pearl on a 2nd plasma and it's a good cable for the price for sure.

I got lucky and found two 2M pair of Carbon for $90 each and jumped all over that CL deal, 1080P material is sharp and the audio is clean...those will be staying for awhile.. B)

@French_guy , what components are connecting? I do agree that you will get an improvement going up the chain. I believe Best Buy has a trade up program within a certain time limit.

You can also try the lending library from The Cable Company.
  • French_guy
    LG 75" 4k TV to receiver (probably Denon 3400h - need to buy one) to Xbox one S for now but maybe a better 4k player in the future
    No surround...yet
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Cinnamon or Chocolate would be my suggestion.
  • rpf65
    The Cable company still has Shunyata Venom HDMI cables on sale. These are extremely close, preformance wise, to AQ Cinnamon HDMI cables.
  • French_guy
    mrloren wrote: »
    +20 on the Audioquest

Wirelogic at Costco are good and made by Audioquest https://www.costco.com/WireLogic-12-Feet-Sapphire-HDMI-Cable-2-pack.product.100376910.html

Are WireLoic Sapphire really made by AQ? Would they be close to the Pearl version then?
    No surround...yet
  • mrloren
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x09bUTmMmIs

@ 13:28 in the video is a wall of AQ products.

I'd say they are close to pearl
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • French_guy
    Cool, thanks for sharing
    No surround...yet
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited March 2019
    When I first bought my large flat screen TV, I used basic HDMI free cables from the local cable TV provider. I had green, blue, and purple horizontal lines moving up the screen. I then bought Audioquest cables and all was well. You get what you pay for.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• French_guy wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    +20 on the Audioquest

Are WireLoic Sapphire really made by AQ? Would they be close to the Pearl version then?

Hard to believe they are made by AQ at that price.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• French_guy
    Watch the video at 13 min 30 sec.............WireLogic is visible and he mentions it
    No surround...yet
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    PM me for some audioquest HDMI cables, I have a few laying around I'm not using and all are 4k HDR Dolby Vision Capable
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • French_guy
    mantis wrote: »
    PM me for some audioquest HDMI cables, I have a few laying around I'm not using and all are 4k HDR Dolby Vision Capable

PM sent......
    No surround...yet
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I'll get back to you tonight
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @mrloren there's a "Ruby" version of those Wirlogics out there. What's more valuable rubies or saphires?
  • rpf65
    I believe rubies for bright speakers and sapphires to enhance bass. Using both means crappy speakers in general.
  • mrloren
    edited March 2019
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mrloren there's a "Ruby" version of those Wirlogics out there. What's more valuable rubies or saphires?

No idea what so ever. I only have the saphires for use in the kids rooms. My main HT and Bedroom HT are real AQ brand.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I believe rubies for bright speakers and sapphires to enhance bass. Using both means crappy speakers in general.

I just ordered a pair of the Rubies. Curious if they make any difference. Using SecurOmax right now which seem fine for video, at least.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ^ WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    I went to a website that sells HDMI cables that cost more than Amazon basic cables, but I don’t use Google as a search engine.

I saw and heard an improvement using the more expensive cables, in comparison to the less expensive Best Buy cables that I had.

Maybe using Google to find good cables is the problem, and there really is a difference in the actual cables.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Wi11Nick wrote: »
    Amazon Basic cables are just as good as the expensive ones. There is no difference. There is no cable that will give you better picture, that’s absurd if you think about it. Google hdmi cables and you will see their has been numerous comparisons and concluded, no difference.

What you just said is absurd...if you really think about it. If you don't want to pay for more expensive cables that fine, don't try to lay out some technical argument that studies say there's no difference. Some know better from real life experiences.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Amazing first post.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited June 2019
    and last post probably.

Harry / Marietta GA
  • ericerik
    ericerik Posts: 53
    i would think there would be solid proof of superior results by using a very expensive cable rather than the cheap. test results?? of actual signal loss of vid/audio quality ,.etc. i can understand that the most expensive names of cables have or should have much tighter and sturdier pins in the plugs , for a nice solid tight connection between devices using thicker better shielding. but is there any such proof of superior results, concrete evidence. ??? or is the differences only subjective ?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Audioquest Choclates in the HT rig here. I'm sure the Cinamon would do a good job also.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)