Will my system work?

Comments

• Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    edited May 2019
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-12-awg-2-conductor-speaker-cable-raw/

@mrloren already posted this link, but I'll share it again. I personally think it's all you need for now. If you decide later on that you want to replace the front soundstage with something better you can do it then. You may just like the sound and decide to never upgrade the cables. I'd definitely not worry about doing anything better for the surrounds.

As @rooftop59 mentioned, used is the way to go. Only issue I see is that 12' cables are going to be a little more difficult to find. If you could get away with 8' cable for the mains, I'd hook you up on the cheap with a pair of speaker cables Doug made for me that I'm no longer using.

Thanks for your advice. I’m going to repeat myself several times but, I’m greatful you are calming me down. I have been doing a lot of worrying.

Sorry for repeating myself to you but do know I appreciate you and everyone else.

• Romo11
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Here are some examples of DIY projects with materials from Douglasconnection @helipiotdoug
    1bnl7rvnol3k.jpg
    lqn4qzcxkb3e.jpg
    vwckt4aghdkk.jpg
    o0yzmaiedmil.jpg
    5aekjcvy5igi.jpg
    se8noy1kyerx.jpg

WOW! Talk about impressive, I am amazed. Do you think an amateur like me could do that?
    Be honest.
  • Romo11
    cfrizz wrote: »

Thank you for the advice. I will follow it.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2019
    Doug has some DIY stuff for you to use! can you do it? heck yes Brother ...I think you can ;)

Doug is a great person and I am bias as he has become a great friend due to my years of going to the LSAF! he the kindest man I eve meet. He grows on you and you find yourself drawn to his room and hanging out with him :)...got to love the LSAF or any audio get together that brings our fellow Polkies together!

just look at the special gathers that have been going on since the start of this forum!

it started so many years ago with Jesse and Carl and John etc.. they have been doing this since like 2001? or so with Polk Fest etc..

So much history on this Forum you chose to join, so enjoy what they have to share and give back what you can! Help these special people in making this a special forum for all to enjoy and many are straight shooters..some don't like this but it is honest stuff from many who care share with you their love of Audio!!!!

ROCK ON POLK FORUM!!!

BTW Doug knows Cables....so just text him or send a PM and he will help you from start to finish!

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Romo11 wrote: »
    WOW! Talk about impressive, I am amazed. Do you think an amateur like me could do that?
    Be honest.

Thank you for the compliment. It took me some practice and some failures but I eventually got it down. You can do the same. Just like @DSkip said, Doug will help you. My experience with Doug is nothing short of stellar, each time!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited May 2019
    Interconnects are RCA cables. You will need one going to each sub from your AVR. If you do get an amp you will need them there too.

Wood floors suck for audio. Get a through rug down and find some small ones for under the speakers and subs. Sound reflects weird off wood/tile floors

The 10awg Furez that is now in my bedroom HT was in my main HT before the AQ Type 4. Easy to make a speaker cable, just takes time.

If you want to open your options for proper speaker cables Doug would be my go to followed by Audio Advisor https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=26#/filter:brand:AudioQuest$25C2$25AE They do sell "no Frills" AQ for a decent price.
    Then Blue Jeans https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm I used their sub cable for some time before going to AQ, I do like the AQ better but it did cost more.

To really tell the difference in cables, change one and invite some friends over. If anyone notices then you will know there is a difference. Last time I did this a few weeks ago my daughter kind-of got mad, said she doesn't like being a test dummy. I did it at work too. I asked everybody passing through the warehouse if they noticed a difference in sound. All said the left speaker sounded way better than the right. Left speaker had the type 4 on it.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    Oh this is a bit off topic or on topic not trying to start a cable war/debate

I was reading on another forum where a guy said he had over $20k in hardware and only spent $200 on cables... ok bet that sounded like my bedroom HT. He referenced a video this electrical engineer did on cables don't matter. This engineer was touting that 12AWG Monoprice cable was all you need then he pulls out this Kimber cable he uses and said the only reason he uses it is for the locking banana plugs... a grand plus in speaker cable for just the $50 locking plug.. bull.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mrloren wrote: »
    Oh this is a bit off topic or on topic not trying to start a cable war/debate

I was reading on another forum where a guy said he had over $20k in hardware and only spent $200 on cables... ok bet that sounded like my bedroom HT. He referenced a video this electrical engineer did on cables don't matter. This engineer was touting that 12AWG Monoprice cable was all you need then he pulls out this Kimber cable he uses and said the only reason he uses it is for the locking banana plugs... a grand plus in speaker cable for just the $50 locking plug.. bull.

My "cables matter" moment happened when I had some cheap Monoprice RCA's. I don't remember what I replaced the Monoprice with, but I know it wasn't anything great by any means. Anyway, the difference in sound was very evident. From that day forward I've been a believer in cables. That being said, I know I can't hear the differences that others are able to hear (and I'm thankful that I can't :D:D )
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mrloren
    Just sitting here waiting to see how your system is now with the two SB4000
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wouldn’t wait to long. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Romo11

I just got them delivered this evening and OMG, these are monsters. I had no idea of the size of them. It may be next week before I can get enough help to get them set up. Serious, I know I’ll keep one but, don’t know if I will keep both. My other , better half isn’t too happy with the size of them. I’m kinda in Sub Woofer shock myself. Pray that my marriage of 47 years, this July, will see 47 happy years!
    Really, I can’t wait to hear them and it may be a few days to get my sons-in-law to help me. I didn’t even get to unbox tonight, as my seven year old grandson had a coach pitch game and I don’t miss those games, even for new Subs.
    I am excited though.

Rob

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    If you give it some thought you'll figure out that lifting is not required and all it takes is one guy to set it up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you give it some thought you'll figure out that lifting is not required and all it takes is one guy to set it up.

Did u read the part where he said he’s been married 47 years?!? I would surmise that makes him at least 67. Even turning that box on it’s side or upside down may be well out of his ability...and then again maybe not, but if I were him I’d play it safe...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

I just got them delivered this evening and OMG, these are monsters. I had no idea of the size of them. It may be next week before I can get enough help to get them set up. Serious, I know I’ll keep one but, don’t know if I will keep both. My other , better half isn’t too happy with the size of them. I’m kinda in Sub Woofer shock myself. Pray that my marriage of 47 years, this July, will see 47 happy years!
    Really, I can’t wait to hear them and it may be a few days to get my sons-in-law to help me. I didn’t even get to unbox tonight, as my seven year old grandson had a coach pitch game and I don’t miss those games, even for new Subs.
    I am excited though.

Rob

As one married man to another, let me help a brother out. Just send that second sub to me. It’ll be 17 years on Saturday for me. I think I can get away with one of its a gift 😂😜
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    I got into a bit of trouble when I acquired my second 120lb dual 15" driver sub. The real beauty is the science. The more subs you introduce to your system, the more even the bass response is......Once I explained that to the offended and then gave a demo after set up, the offended surprisingly admitted that they were impressed.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mrloren
    Those are not as big once un-boxed. Bummer I'm not closer. I enjoy helping people set up their systems.
  • Romo11
    edited May 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Did u read the part where he said he’s been married 47 years?!? I would surmise that makes him at least 67. Even turning that box on it’s side or upside down may be well out of his ability...and then again maybe not, but if I were him I’d play it safe...

Are you crazy! I’m only 33!

Well ok, you figured me out but missed it by one year. We both went to school (college) for one year and then got married. She went to work and supported us while I was in school. I’ll tell you that sometimes, I mean very few sometimes, you can go up the ladder to success without a degree. My wife worked at Well Fargo and when she retired, was a Senior VP, and at the end of our work careers, she was making three times the money that I was. Just remember to anyone that may want to drop out of college, she definitely beat the odds. I’m very proud of her and her successes.
    By the way, I was 19 and she was 18 when we got married and started dating in high school.
  • Romo11
    Those are not as big once un-boxed. Bummer I'm not closer. I enjoy helping people set up their systems.

I may willing to pay for your airplane ticked to get your help. You, along with everyone else have been so kind.
    I’m hoping that they are not as large as the boxes. I’m looking at a lose of half of my seating area if they are as big as what I imagined when I saw the driver unloading them.

• Romo11
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I got into a bit of trouble when I acquired my second 120lb dual 15" driver sub. The real beauty is the science. The more subs you introduce to your system, the more even the bass response is......Once I explained that to the offended and then gave a demo after set up, the offended surprisingly admitted that they were impressed.

Im counting on that because that look has frozen on her face since last night.

• Romo11

I am excited though.

Rob

As one married man to another, let me help a brother out. Just send that second sub to me. It’ll be 17 years on Saturday for me. I think I can get away with one of its a gift 😂😜

Thanks for the offer. You know, everyone is so kind on this forum. Some in different ways!

• Romo11

Yes, F1nut, after reading your post I went to You Tube and it appears that maybe I can do it. The main thing for me is final placement. Thank goodness that we have two beautiful daughters and their husbands make me look like a midget. No offense meant to any of my (including me ) small forum friends.
    These guys sure designed a good shipping box.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Thanks for the offer. You know, everyone is so kind on this forum. Some in different ways!

That could be this forum's motto!

:)
  • mrloren
    edited May 2019

I may willing to pay for your airplane ticked to get your help. You, along with everyone else have been so kind.
    I’m hoping that they are not as large as the boxes. I’m looking at a lose of half of my seating area if they are as big as what I imagined when I saw the driver unloading them.

No they are packed very good.

Hmm, Tempting but it is to be a rainy weekend here in San Diego and I have season 8 of GoT calling me once honey-do's are done.
  • Romo11
    Well, suppose to be in 90’s all next week here. Seriously, thanks fo all of your help.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Here too. Not looking forward to that.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    My 4000 arrived today, and, though I was able to move it in to place on hardwood floors, it was still a lot of work. Waiting for the son-in-laws is probably a smart thing. If you ordered the upgraded feet then you will have to turn it upside down, and, when you turn it back over it won't move as easily with the new feet.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    kharp1 wrote: »
    And don't take "no" for an answer. You ordered two subs tell her you're using two subs. And you don't have to tell her I said that, I''l let you use that as your own. Get in there and make your stand...we're all here behind you. o:)

Says the single guy! :)