Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,279
    edited April 22
    I just paged through all the photos I posted and re-read the discussion, now that I'm back on my desktop computer. I'm happy that my photos were so well received, thank you for all the positive feedback about them.

I'm still debating if I will write some room reviews, or maybe an article about my top three rooms.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,363
    Please write some memories down for us. ;)

Tell about the GoldenEar Room with Sandy Gross experience.

They ( GoldenEar) print all these accolades in magazines but...your experience was different.

Maybe somebody else went into that room and has something to add.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Oh yeah, maybe it would be easier to first write about some of the forgettable or downright unpleasant experiences, before getting to the positive experiences. :)
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,562
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Oh yeah, maybe it would be easier to first write about some of the forgettable or downright unpleasant experiences, before getting to the positive experiences. :)

Well Russ wasn't there this year, so the stench around the venue must have been greatly reduced, if not eliminated. I don't know how the hotel managed to get rid of all the lice, bed-bugs and fleas though.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    edited April 23
    Oh, there were plenty of unwashed audiophiles there with gnarly B.O. and nasty stank-breath, trust me.

The actual hotel room cleanliness was above average, although I still noticed that the base sheet on my bed was "questionable" - a few black hairs present, and some staining. And we found a random toenail on the carpet when we were setting up Skip's room. So, there's room for improvement.
    Oh, there were plenty of unwashed audiophiles there with gnarly B.O. and nasty stank-breath, trust me.

The actual hotel room cleanliness was above average, although I still noticed that the base sheet on my bed was "questionable" - a few black hairs present, and some staining. And we found a random toenail on the carpet when we were setting up Skip's room. So, there's room for improvement.

You can always tell where Russ has been...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,692

Agreed. Please folks. Floss and deodorant
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,594
    edited April 23
    I'm still debating if I will write some room reviews, or maybe an article about my top three rooms.
    I very much enjoy your reviews. you think I don't, but I do! I forgot to make a "polite sound" emoji, but if I had made one, I would have posted it [here]. I had set out to write a review of the two-channel system that I've been building. I tried. I gave up. I can't put into words what I hear, other than "it sounds musical". That would have made for a very short review.

Edit:

x1eh0ezn7obw.jpg
    Post edited by Hermitism on
    2.0 - Marantz: PM8005, NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

3.1 - Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c, PSW125 | PS Audio Quintet | VooDoo-Hubbell IG 8300 | Acoustic Panels, Acoustimac Bass Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,104
    Tony M wrote: »

They ( GoldenEar) print all these accolades in magazines but...your experience was different.

Sandy was easy to talk to. Unfortunately, the speakers were not! I am not sure if they weren't setup right or what but I went into that room 3 times on 3 different days. All 3 times there was different music playing. All 3 times I walked out with the same impression. Very bright and at points painful due to the brightness. I really wanted to like them but in that room or the way they had them set, it was not my taste at all.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,104
    I just paged through all the photos I posted and re-read the discussion, now that I'm back on my desktop computer. I'm happy that my photos were so well received, thank you for all the positive feedback about them.

Go for it!
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

erniejade wrote: »

Sandy was easy to talk to. Unfortunately, the speakers were not! I am not sure if they weren't setup right or what but I went into that room 3 times on 3 different days. All 3 times there was different music playing. All 3 times I walked out with the same impression. Very bright and at points painful due to the brightness. I really wanted to like them but in that room or the way they had them set, it was not my taste at all.

Thank you for that.

Do you by chance remember which Triton model/s he was poorly demoing?
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,869

Thank you for that.

I believe the new reference ones
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    I think it's worth pointing out that we should be careful when ripping apart someone's product based off very limited time at a show. As mentioned by a reviewer in one thread, maybe this one, that he watched Skip work hard to get his sound right only reinforces the difficulties faced by vendors at shows. The rooms are usually concrete floors, often concrete ceilings and sometimes a side wall of concrete. Throw in metal studs as well. Many times the room dimensions are less than ideal, often times being uneven. All this and you only have a couple of days to get it right with whatever you brought with you.

Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Yes and to further comment on Kerry's point, the second visits to some rooms provided a completely different experience than the first. Song choice, volume, ambient noise also played their parts.
    Although, I did go into the Golden Ear room and it just sounded bad. But I have heard the model 1's before and they were glorious so I am sure it was many other factors.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    Please, write reviews, there are still several things that can be gained about products, and from those that rep them, at these venues.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    edited April 23
    I will do my best - I do not want o flippantly do them as I feel its not doing anyone a service if hurried. There were a few rooms (with affordable gear) that really grabbed my attention. I don't want to double review so I'll get with @Clipdat and see which ones he remembers more vividly.

I just didn't understand why he was playing them so loud, to the point that the treble was painful. This actually happened to me several times on Saturday in various rooms.

But with the Golden Ear room when Sandy was personally sitting there, you'd think he wouldn't be blasting the highs like that.

The room was larger than the regular hotel rooms, and when I evaluated the room size, layout, and speaker placement, I expected it to perform well. I actually really wanted to like the room, but like Brian, I gave it several tries and each time walked out disappointed.

Could it perhaps have been a synergy issue with the speakers not playing nice with the PrimaLuna tube amps?
    The one time i was in Sandy's room no one was there but he and I. He was not in a good mood, I tried striking up a conversation but he just answered in terse one word answers. I told him to try and have a better day and thanks for bringing to audio world some fantastic speakers not once but 3 times and he just stared at me.
    Yikes. Maybe he didn't like how the room was sounding either, or perhaps some type of personal/medical issue he was dealing with.
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I will do my best - I do not want o flippantly do them as I feel its not doing anyone a service if hurried. There were a few rooms (with affordable gear) that really grabbed my attention. I don't want to double review so I'll get with @Clipdat and see which ones he remembers more vividly.

We'll align soon and determine how to proceed.

I'm currently getting my **** kicked by a cold, so I haven't been in a writing mood.
    Yikes. Maybe he didn't like how the room was sounding either, or perhaps some type of personal/medical issue he was dealing with.

Possible I've had in depth conversations with him last year at Axpona and the year before at RMAF.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,923
    so guys.... tell me about Bob Carvers speakers...... How'd they sound again :D:p
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,274
    That is surprising to hear about Sandy. He has always been the most approachable guy at these events for me.
    edited April 23
    DSkip wrote: »
    That is surprising to hear about Sandy. He has always been the most approachable guy at these events for me.

I agree. But after a run in with a friends mom i have a new appreciation for folks who can and do have medical issues. Hers was low blood sugar, and no I'm not insinuating that was his reason so do not jump the gun. We all have bad days and moments.
    I'm quite OK with it.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Thank you for that.

I believe the new reference ones

Thank you again. ;)

Possible I've had in depth conversations with him last year at Axpona and the year before at RMAF.

Could be he rolled his eyes and "Not THIS guy again... friggen stalker!" ;):p

edited April 23
    The one time i was in Sandy's room no one was there but he and I. He was not in a good mood, I tried striking up a conversation but he just answered in terse one word answers. I told him to try and have a better day and thanks for bringing to audio world some fantastic speakers not once but 3 times and he just stared at me.

WOW. :o
    To shrug off someone's complement about his life's great legacy with a cold stare is just WRONG! REALLY WRONG!

I'm thinking some people told him his sound sucked or he saw people shaking their heads in a side to side manner and then leaving a lot.

He's said in articles, maybe one, I forget, that he PERSONALLY listens to each model to see if it meets his standards.

I have the Triton Ones and find the bass amplifier control volume dial to be just right at 12:00. They're well balanced at that setting. Other reviewers have written the same.

I feel somebody forgot to set the dial to 12 or where ever it would've balanced the sound for that show room. Maybe somebody unplugged the Tritons power cord on one or both speakers. Also, he might've been standing in a bass-doubling wave spot. Maybe nobody setting their room up sat in a demo chair to listen to them. :#

These speakers are capable of prodigious bass that that character should've been the complaint. Not the opposite.

Crazy!

Thanks for the info guys.

P.S.
    If I went in and heard that NOISE and me being an owner of a set of Tritons, I am of age that I would've approached him and told him what I thought since I know what a close model can sound like in a VERY cluttered environment.
  • verbverb Posts: 8,133
    Could be a bad day. Maybe not. One thing I know for sure is you have to maintain poise and composure while in the public eye. Possible he's just reeling from someone that said his setup sounded terrible, but what he should've said -

Ivan, how are you doing? :smile: Thanks. Nice hair! :smile: Not hard, really.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    edited April 23
    And another. Heard this on Vandersteen speakers and it was great.

R-2065670-1270395509.jpeg.jpg

This specific version: https://www.discogs.com/John-Renbourn-Sir-John-Alot-Of-Merrie-Englandes-Musyk-Thyng-Ye-Grene-Knyghte/release/2065670