Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,282
    edited April 18
    I wish I had more press coverage this year. I’ve had more in previous shows and not had the sound I had this year. I took a stab at best of show this year - knowing I wouldn’t get it, but doing everything I could to approach that level.

In a way I’ve come to dislike the shows because I feel most are wowed by systems that represent something other than real sound. I honestly feel that my systems do better at harmonic structure and a realistic presentation of what a performance would be rather than a hyper-detailed extension of what a recording unlocks. This isn’t to say my system isn’t resolving but it presents the information differently.

I’m extremely proud of what the room sounded like and think it was representative of what I strive for in systems. I wish I had another day of show because as the platforms settled in I lost some shout that was there Friday and Saturday. I also wish I had a few more Riot Acoustic Shields to work with.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,580
    By all accounts Skip, your setup was one of the shows highlights. You should be proud.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,366
    Word of mouth is probably spreading and it's powerful. ;)

That video of your system's sound was HOLOGRAPHIC here on my nice 3pc. PC speaker system by Harman Kardon.

I think the more people that hear your audio gear either in person or videos and word of mouth, your business should grow.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,711
    I agree with john. You should be proud and it is all about $$$. You should know that. The speakers are very impressive, but the manufacturer had no desire to be a part of the shows himself. Reviewers and the like want to see that. I’m sure there are all kinds of back alley bribes to ensure coverage.
    That room worked amazingly for you and the only thing you should have done differently is play some DNB like Drew and I said....
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • malfonsomalfonso Posts: 5
    Agreed The Rossofiorentino's were amazing They were good at everything. The base extension and roll off were seamless and the vocals were dead center
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,648
    marvda1 wrote: »
    here's my take, the big mags and online sites are going to the same expensive manufacturers that they review (paid advertisements) and the prices for rooms is geared towards the big guys. some of these mega $$$$ manufacturers should be ashamed at the sound of their rooms and the prices that they are asking.

Bingo Marv. For what I heard, the big name brands weren't cutting it sound wise. Depends on what you chase in audio....extreme detail retrieval, musicality, etc. Like we always say though, price doesn't dictate good sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    edited April 18
    erniejade wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Brian and I agreed that the best bang for the buck there were the Kilpsch we heard on floor 14 fantastic sound for the coin. $4k a pair I believe right Brian?

I was very suprised on how well they did in those rooms. They sounded nothing like i remember. Warm, clean, powerful with a great soundstage. I Googled them and they do have some great reviews. I have only heard version 1 of them. New 4k is correct. I found some open box models for $1300 each on my search.
    This is the other part of the show that makes it interesting....the different feedback about the same rooms. Proof that we hear different, have different tastes, and maybe the sound of the systems are tweaked and sound different from day to day.

From the Klipsch forum: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/183022-klipsch-forte-iii-at-axpona/&tab=comments#

oldred wrote:
    Well Klipsch speakers were finally demonstrated at Axpona....Saturday Audio Exchange set up I believe 3 rooms. The Klipsch room was unimpressive......The Forte III's were placed too close to the back walls.....The music selection was poor. They had them paired with a McIntosh hybrid tube amp....If it sounds like I'm making excuses....maybe I am....I really wanted to like them....but just didn't....

My Chorus II's definitely sound better.....I just got to say
    George
    I agree. For instance When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin sounded incredibly flat. I have heard the Forte III's before and had a better experience.

I really think Klipsch missed the mark here and really should have used the opportunity to bring in Khorns or LaScalas.

I heard so many amazing rooms at the Axpona show. IMHO the Klipsch room was the second poorest of them all. Unlike most spaces, everyone in the room with me was bluejeans and t-shirt and tennis shoes. The worst was the Harmon JBL L100 Classic demo room. It wasn't that $40K made the difference either. HSU did very well for $1200 and SVS gave me a nice body massage while watching a clip of TMNT for under $2K.
    jimjimbo wrote:
    It's no wonder they sounded like crap, what a terrible setup.
    1266329353_2019-04-1310_18_19.thumb.jpg.7c900a7005868a8f33ddbbd65034a877.jpg
    oldred wrote:
    Yeah.....I don't think Saturday Audio Exchange...was up to the task in anything they did....They also did the GoldenEar /PrimaLuna room. Both were not impressive.
    George
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Ha that goes to show that there are so many factors

We listened to the YG Acoustics Hailey early in the day on the 14th floor, I cannot remember who it was but they were spinning vinyl. We all ( @Clipdat & @erniejade and myself) were very impressed with them and they seemed to reach so low, we thought it was subwoofers in another room. Crazy good sound.
    Later the next day, @Clipdat and myself revisited that room with @verb and to me, it sounded like crap. Not sure if it was song choice or what, but it shows me that its so hard to get a good hold of what will sound good in your own home from these shows.

I will say that you look at magazines of these high end speakers and gear, and when you actually see them up close, some really disappoint. The YG for instance, product photography on those make them out to be flawless. But up close the Brushed Aluminum did not impress me for the $50-80k price tags. My Elacs have the same exact sheen to them on the aluminum face frame.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    ^^ I agree with you there. I look at a speakers like the B&W Diamond, Nautilus. They have build quality that is as good as some at twice the price. Take the sound out of the equation. However, I do remember one year at the show there was a room that had some B&W 801's and the sound was bad! I had no interest in staying for a listen. Not sure what the issue was...

Still, I like the build quality of these $7K-$8K speakers just as much as some that are more expensive.

1478616-monitor-audio-gold-300-upgraded-piano-ebony-finish.jpg
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • verbverb Posts: 8,200
    DSkip wrote: »
    I wish I had more press coverage this year. I’ve had more in previous shows and not had the sound I had this year. I took a stab at best of show this year - knowing I wouldn’t get it, but doing everything I could to approach that level.

In a way I’ve come to dislike the shows because I feel most are wowed by systems that represent something other than real sound. I honestly feel that my systems do better at harmonic structure and a realistic presentation of what a performance would be rather than a hyper-detailed extension of what a recording unlocks. This isn’t to say my system isn’t resolving but it presents the information differently.

I’m extremely proud of what the room sounded like and think it was representative of what I strive for in systems. I wish I had another day of show because as the platforms settled in I lost some shout that was there Friday and Saturday. I also wish I had a few more Riot Acoustic Shields to work with.

My first audio show, but your comments remind of back in the day when I did the car show thing. Competed sometimes, won a few, didn't place in most, even though my car was pretty good. IMO of course, and some others, but it makes you wonder.

You mentally compare your stuff with the winners and try to understand how they could win with such flaws? Denial on my part? Rationalization? Perhaps.

I eventually concluded that if you're not part of the clique, it doesn't matter how good your stuff is. That's life, you keep persevering, getting the name out, and eventually you'll surpass the clique!

Keep on brother! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    Joe, I can totally see why someone who liked version 1 of the forte did not like the 3. For my ears ( and yours, and Drews) we don't like too harsh of a high. Others might think what we like is dull sounding.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

I understand a certain Sicilian/Cuban joined the forum.....and the sucker didn't bring any food ?? Whats up with that ? He should know by now there's a 5 cannoli entrance fee. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Brian, while I liked the Forte's, it still sounded a bit congested to me. Plus I have a feeling at higher volumes that harshness might be a bit more apparent. Still, all in all, better than some previous models I've heard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,696
    here's some pics i took, got tired after a while and stopped :Dg3a3cs1o1lrb.jpg
    6en4zo9sjbfl.jpg
    kgr4msm76756.jpg
    7lkboa3a6xat.jpg

Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    more.....n5lt5css5mn9.jpg
    wjbol79a7gql.jpg
    xzfwm3rlrrc2.jpg

Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    edited April 19
    more.....5tk5zzzyo5tr.jpg
    mfnwldweyqdf.jpg
    6urqrv93kmz6.jpg

these larsen speakers had great sound as they should at $15k. designed to go against the wall.
    cvoub2ytjh9z.jpg
    j34ohum1wuqx.jpg

more...1gfqto8z2sby.jpg
    h3hh6ovf1w2k.jpg
    nuw6i3phegs6.jpg
    vjni51anbrl8.jpg

more...fn6kvqejbtwg.jpg
    apabfh4q6dya.jpg
    yg8ro2wvsmw2.jpg
    6zx6euadypfc.jpg
    1857wya22hky.jpg

more...uc5xiye2zvbr.jpg
    5thrcqls2k8x.jpg
    ygm8msvasclp.jpg
    vadc9pfpvzj2.jpg
    8qqwdi9k6jio.jpg

more...oaiib3wys3mm.jpg
    dzv3p13ckfdd.jpg
    d81kew2nl2og.jpg
    1wbd9xwiv4rg.jpg

• indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    It's been a week, but I am still having AXPONA withdrawals. Already looking forward to next year.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,068
    Next year it will have to be all 3 days for me saw a lot though. I might be making a trip to Saturday Audio Exchange in a while to trade some idle gear in for either the NAD C 658 blu OS streamer preamp, as I kind of liked that one or perhaps that Brooklyn Mytec one. All in all it's a good time. Yes Skips room was that good put most of the others to shame. Good times I got a few goodies in yesterday that I bought at Axopona nothing major but I will be occupied this weekend.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    Outside of sounding great, skips room also looked better then 95% out there i think.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• ThortonThorton Posts: 1,248
    erniejade wrote: »
    Outside of sounding great, skips room also looked better then 95% out there i think.

I agree. Excellent sounding room. Nice job Skip!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,074
    edited April 22
    joecoulson wrote: »
    we started to chat about securing the sub to my sub floor (on crawl space) and he not only suggested I get the SVS isolation feet, he sent me a set for free!! Thank You SVS for one of the best customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. And Thank You for the new feet!!

NICE!
    I see their strategy is . . . to decouple?

I'm very interested in your thoughts on SQ after implementation

btw, I'm on a crawl, too
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    Glenn the sub does an amazing job as it stands but can easily overpower in any situation. With the crawl space, the tendency to feel like the sub is boomy can be present in higher volume and also movies.
    I listened to both today to test the sub after installing the feet.
    On movies, the impact was more powerful as a sound and somehow created more pressurization. Not sure how feet can do that, but on Avengers Infinity war, some of the end scenes like Thor holding upen the star, it was epic.
    On music, the feet have helped me dial in a smoother transition between the towers and sub. On some of the electronic music I listen to, this sub wants to be “boomy” with the crawl space. It’s has not all but disappeared. I tried all kinds of coupling and decoupling but this really works great. The sub almost floats on these things as I can move it around loosely. Quite happy with this pro Bono tweak from SVS!!