Focal JM Lab Mezzo Utopia modification

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    VR3 wrote: »
    I used the t14 on my super towers and was very pleased. I would check out the t14 versus the 14 awg hook up wire, not a big price difference.

OK I'll keep it in mind but I do not need the jacket and it's the same internal wire. Does the jacket bring anything to the party?

https://silversonic.com/products/hookup-wire/ofh-14/
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited March 2019
    Imo, yes, the wire is twisted which has advantages and the filler reduces vibrations.

I much prefer to keep internal wiring in the jacket versus separated. In fact...when I do internal. Wiring, I try to keep as much as I can in the jacket to maintain the Helix twist of. The 4 conductor.

I also change the wiring of sda speakers to reduce the amount of wiring needed.... There's some redundancy when you use the original wiring harness. Ie, you can actually reduce the 1.2tl tweeter wiring to 5 wires verus 8. Just like the 2.3tl.can be done with 4 wires versus 6... Etc this also allows a complete Helix.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    From focal

Yes, this was factored in, in the case of the Mezzo.
    In this particular case, the energy transmitted from one to the other is a non-issue, so sealing it would not make any substantial difference.

In some other models, the channel is about the same size as the wires passing though it and sealed, but the Mezzo doesn't need it.

Cheers !

So I will likely seal mine

@jdjohn yours are the very first run of utopia, you may have the version mentioned with smaller channels
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Just sent this off to the fabricators for a quote... hmmm NL4 baby!8cjqjkeqteae.jpg
  • VR3
    EMailed WBT about sourcing the missing pieces of the binding post, they are sending them to me for free, holy moly! Customer service on 20 year old parts, love it!
  • VR3
    Came out nice!

iz1a9q7t5z6c.jpg
  • VR3
    Now those are some coils

7ats41uvtl31.jpg
  • VR3
    The no rez arrived and the internal wiring for the highs and mids are here. Planning to use the q 10 for the lows.

e3p87rdjt3oo.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :o
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Trey time for you to host. I wanna come hear them when you’re done.
  • VR3
    I may be down for a small gathering, but it would probably be end of the year or beginning of next... :)
  • joecoulson
    Count me in if you are so inclined.
  • VR3
    Of course, never met an audiophile I didn't like!
  • VR3
    You must admit, not all people in this hobby are audiophiles. Someone who does this because they enjoy the reproduction of music. I think you know what I mean.
  • joecoulson
    edited April 2019
    I probably fit that category
  • VR3
    Bass network

yjtuk2h5y4as.jpg
    dnefjacd2up5.jpg
  • VR3
    Portion of midrange circuit that will go in midrange cabinet

0qy8s6codilg.jpg
  • VR3
    Tweeter circuit, built so that there is only one wire run, shortest signal path possible

ooem4z2jcg3f.jpg
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Count me in if you are so inclined.

Me too!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    Came out nice!

iz1a9q7t5z6c.jpg
    Uhhh, am I gonna need these as well?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    edited April 2019
    You don't... have... to do it...

But... We don't really have.... to do anything!! hehehehehe

Are you doing the inductors too?
  • VR3
    Already changed up the tweeter network layout... didn't quite like how that was going. Ordered some stainless threaded rod and will stack everything directly behind the tweeter with the inductor right at 8" away. That telar magnet is super strong. My desk is 1.25" wood and the magnet can hold a screw on the other side of where it is at!

Cant wait until the 25uf caps arrive! so I can put these babies back together!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I see now. Since you're going NL4, you needed those new plates. Email me about the inductors please.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Much better, add some heat shrink here and there... Clean up everything else with some isopropyl... Rock N roll

195ens3rgg7e.jpg
  • joecoulson
    Dude. That’s bad ****
  • VR3
    Thank you!

I like that there is only one wire run
  • joecoulson
    No doubt. I’m going to work on getting a set of xtra xovers for the Elacs so we can get started.
  • VR3
    yes sir, will be a fun one