Focal JM Lab Mezzo Utopia modification

1235»

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 23,549
    edited August 15
    Yes, ordered direct from Focal.

I had about 100 hours on them. It is not that they sounded "bad" but they were "bright" and I kept picking up on a nasal sound on vocals and a "splash" sound (incoherent mess) in the upper highs, all of which I attributed to resonance at higher volumes or diffraction. At medium to low volumes they sounded normal, but they definitely lost their composure when cranked.

The old domes still lean towards the bright side but they are very controlled and forgiving while remaining detailed enough to be enjoyable. I hope that makes sense.
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    So, I can say for certain I am done for a long while. After owning these for 2 years and doing these upgrades, there's nothing I can buy in my price range that would be an improvement, only different.

They sound excellent, the old domes are such great tweeters, imo.

@jdjohn need to modify yours asap! I did like a 2. 2 ohm on the tweeter versus a 1.2, fwiw
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,038
    Cool, thanks Trey! I got notification from Hifi Collective that my order for the inductor coils has shipped. I'll look for some 2.2 ohm tweeter resistors.

Unfortunately, it may be a while before I really dive in on the upgrades. My dad is having some health issues that are taking precedence :(
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope he recovers expeditiously
    - Not Tom

• jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,038
    Thanks, pal.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    Now that I have gotten rid of my detour of the replacement focal domes, I decided to try the 1.2 ohm resistors again. The 2.2 ohm was very clean and clear but maybe to warm for me as I like a hint of a bite.

Reinstalled them a few hours ago and have been listening since and I can say that this is perfect, the right amount of bite and all that fuzz and break up from the new domes is 100% gone.

Good stuff 😊
    - Not Tom