Focal JM Lab Mezzo Utopia modification

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    The crossover is pretty robust I doubt that's the issue
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Daydreamer
    Daydreamer Posts: 34
    edited June 2020
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    VR3 wrote: »

Hmmmm. First, what's said here stays here....

I was thinking maybe it's my Classe processor but the right tweeter sounds the same whether from Satellite HDMI 1, TIDAL Chromecast HDMI 3, stereo bypass though a phono stage and analog inputs and a BluRay of Jeff Beck Live(through HDMI 2).... But the center Mini Utopia gets the same signal from the Classe in Dolby Surround and mono.

Is it possible for one of the voice coils to have "fatigued" and it's just a matter of replacing the diaphragm?

It's odd, the right tweeter sounds very good now that I'm listening all day to it. I can hear the cymbals being played but it's missing the high frequencies. That upper openness. The "sizzling"(normal brightness if you will))...It's like a fabric veil needs to be pulled away to unmask the high's. Something's up.

The speakers are on different Rowland amps but I don't think that matters.

I know you aren't here listening but what is your guess as to the tweeter issue?

I get the new diaphragm's tomorrow. I'll get one in place for the left speaker first hopefully Wednesday and see how it sounds.

But, if you could, please tell me the item# for the felt you got from Grainger so I could have that on hand. There's too many felt's to choose from.

On edit: I believe it's the Classe that is the issue. I have an Alessis CD burner and it's connected to the processors digital coaxial input. I'm playing Muddy Waters Folk Singer and the tweeter sounds great. It's set to stereo bypass so I can't test the Mini's tweeter against it but that's ok....I'll call my stereo shop and see what they think.
  • Daydreamer
    I figured out the problem and you were right, it wasn't the crossover. It wasn't the diaphragm either.... It's my Classe SSP-800 processor.
    I've been listening through HDMI and the analog ports for phono. But I have an Alessis CD burner/player which is hooked up to the processors digital coax input.
    I played Muddy Watters Folk Singer 96/24 and the tweeter sounded great. Veil lifted.

So, I will have to call the shop where I bought the Classe and see if there is a circuitry issue that can be fixed.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please pass along the item # of the Grainger felt you used? There are so many choices...I'll be getting the new diaphragm's tomorrow and will solderone in soon.

Thanks for your help.

• VR3
    This worked well to tame the new domeszbdpaizldwuo.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    This worked well to tame the new domeszbdpaizldwuo.jpg
    Thank you! I looked at my plate and the plate and wood seem to nearly touch left bottom corner and top right corner(and a very small slit above and below). Cut a 1.5" piece and put it in those 2 spots that nearly, or are, touching?

Ordered the felt from EBay.

Man, I've missed the tweeters. Even one in stereo sounds so good. I forgot how good....
  • VR3
    edited June 2020
    It really is a trial and error but I found centering the strip with the seam was a good start

You can also try placing a strip above and below.

Full disclosure that this will help with brightness but it will not change how much break up the new dome experiences around 10 to 13khz, it's pretty substantial and nasty
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    It really is a trial and error but I found centering the strip with the seam was a good start

You can also try placing a strip above and below.

Full disclosure that this will help with brightness but it will not change how much break up the new dome experiences around 10 to 13khz, it's pretty substantial and nasty

I understand.... As critical as Focal is with everything, I'm surprised they would sell these. You'd think they'd test them as surely they'd notice what you do....Thus why eliminate the foam ring? Oh well.....
    Michel seemed to be oblivious to any sonic differences. But I wonder if he's listened to them.......At least I only need one.

Too bad the titanium cone can't be treated or there aren't any other options.
  • VR3
    The foam surround is still there on the replacement.

I believe the decision to carry this dome uncoated is a budget decision while supporting legacy products. Imagine buying a set of 100k speakers that you can't get a replacement tweeter for.

The upside is that they use serviceable. The newer beryllium tweeters have to be dealer serviced and cost around 1k!
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    The foam surround is still there on the replacement.

I believe the decision to carry this dome uncoated is a budget decision while supporting legacy products. Imagine buying a set of 100k speakers that you can't get a replacement tweeter for.

The upside is that they use serviceable. The newer beryllium tweeters have to be dealer serviced and cost around 1k!

Yeah. I'm grateful that I come out of this only down $100! Well $200 since I bought 2. Michel threw in one of those arc metal cone protectors that some little brat kid bent off...I got lucky. Although the processor fix might be costly.

Too bad there's no way to have the cones sprayed with a nano coating out of those little hand held spray painters. They are capable of fine line detail.
  • Daydreamer
    A thought: I COULD put the diaphragm from the center channel speaker into my left speaker and put a new diaphragm into the center channel speaker... I'd have to think about that as I like to listen to streaming music in surround. Plus home theater is strong in the center channel speaker. Just spitballin'

I recently had a new car stereo installed and the shop does that nano ceramic spray coating on cars. I don't know if they have very fine spray tips but what do you think a black nano ceramic coating sprayed on the cone would do to the sound.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited June 2020
    Daydreamer wrote: »
    Michel threw in one of those arc metal cone protectors that some little brat kid bent off...I got lucky.
    The little inverted cone under the crest of the arc disperses the high-frequency, which makes the sound less directional.
    Post edited by jdjohn on
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    If I were in your shoes I would definitely swap with the center channel!

I don't think having a coating sprayed on would work, you will see why when you see the new domee
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited June 2020
    Trey, you are goooooood at guiding people to solve problems.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Daydreamer
    Trey, you are goooooood at guiding people to solve problems.

Yes he is and I'm very grateful to him.
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    If I were in your shoes I would definitely swap with the center channel!
    I don't think having a coating sprayed on would work, you will see why when you see the new domee

Good advice. But until I get the Classe situation resolved where the left and right speakers tweeters play high frequencies in at least the analog ports for phono play, I'll leave the center channel diaphragm there as I want to hear its tweeter for music in Surround as it dominates and makes the fact that the L and R tweeters fall short less noticeable.
  • VR3
    You may find the brighter dome will work really well in the center channel
  • Daydreamer
    You may find the brighter dome will work really well in the center channel

I trust your opinion for sure.

The diaphragms arrived. I see they have that textured finish like the black domes.
    I'm in talks with Classe to try and figure out why the very high frequencies are getting cut off of my right tweeter when in HDMI(Satellite Sirius, Chromecast Tidal and Qobuz and Blu Ray) and analog phono. But in digital coax the tweeter sings. They are flummoxed.

I have a tough decision to make. Currently, the system sounds amazing and that's without the left tweeter! The center mini utopia's tweeter really is a cherry on top when listening in Surround and makes it all sing. So much so that it overrides the situation of the left and right speaker tweeters. It's a drag to lose 2 channel though....I'm not going to put in any diaphragm until the Classe situation gets figured out...I guess in the meantime I could connect my phone/OTG cable/USB to SPDIF connector and play streaming music through my digital coaxial input.....Let's see how the dust settles.

Thanks!
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    I haven't played an LP in 7-8 years so I just took pictures of my stylus. It was gunked out. I wonder if all the gunk could prevent the high frequencies from playing through the tweeters. I'm going to order Lyra SPT enzyme cleaner to rule that out.
    https://imgur.com/a/5CegjXr
    ka13u7vuj9i1.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    It sure isn't helping.
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    It sure isn't helping.

I know. I just sent the cartridge out to VAS in NJ for a scope look and report for a possible re-tip. . Interestingly, the guy at VAS saw my IMGUR pics and said the stylus looked "good". But he had to check it first for wear...BENZ Micro uses a ton of glue. But, we'll see.
    I just got my Grainger felt.
    b3da98s2cfia.png

I was expecting a narrower strip like this photo:
    yao8tmhlqpz5.png

I'm going to have a ton left over so if anyone needs a strip of the felt, PM me.
  • VR3
    edited June 2020
    I tried all kinds of interesting things with the felt, some brought huge differences, not always good haha.

The most interesting placement was above and below, that darkened the entire top end but at the sacrifice of imaging.

Still neat to experience. Some manufacturers use felt or foam across the entire front baffle, woofers mids tweeters. At the end of the day it basically removes any diffraction.

Wilson is a good example but their front baffles are a diffraction nightmare.

r4vrnd0cdytp.jpeg

The utopia has a curved baffle with a solid round over taking diffraction into consideration. In the latter utopia builds they used a solid curved piece of aluminum for the tweeter baffle to remove that diffraction point the first line has.

k0nkl6oq7x4g.jpg

I actually heard the scala utopia in Singapore in a Naim system, I'm not so sure about the whole system or the room as i not impressed at all so at the end of the day there is more than specs to any equipment and systems. Comes down to trial and error, system synergy, etc
  • Daydreamer
    edited June 2020
    I tried all kinds of interesting things with the felt, some brought huge differences, not always good haha.

The most interesting placement was above and below, that darkened the entire top end but at the sacrifice of imaging.

Still neat to experience. Some manufacturers use felt or foam across the entire front baffle, woofers mids tweeters. At the end of the day it basically removes any diffraction.
    The effects on sonics that the felt can provide are so interesting.... If I wind up swapping the center mini utopia's diaphragm to my left standing speakers tweeter and place the new titanium diaphragm in the mini utopia's tweeter as you suggested, would you still suggest using the felt strips on the mini utopia? Or maybe just at the plate/wood sides? I'm not sure I'd want to change the imaging of the center speaker.
  • VR3
    Im not sure you wouldn't see any benefits at the center
  • Daydreamer
    Ok. I'll have to see what's up with my stylus and how music sounds with it to figure out my next step with the diaphragm's..... Right now, I need the diaphram staying at the center speaker.....Thanks.....
  • Straga685
    Straga685 Posts: 15
    edited February 2022
    mex7b4rb6sfi.png
    hello, can you draw a schematic diagram of the crossover?🤔
  • VR3
    Email focal, they will give you all kinds of info!
  • The thing is, I didn't buy them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Straga685 wrote: »
    The thing is, I didn't buy them.

How does that make any difference?
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Straga685 wrote: »
    The thing is, I didn't buy them.

How does that make any difference?

I can't send 🤔