A McIntosh in Verb's House!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    verb wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Update. Seller sent me another e-mail. He now upped his price to $500.00 over what I paid for it! OMG! This guy is insane! :smile:

block him move on.... The only one here that will have any remorse is YOU if you fall for this.

Yeah I'm gonna put an end to this. An unequivocal NO THANKS is in order.

Been a week since I declined the seller's 2nd offer. No response. Not even an invite to his next audio gathering! Oh well. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Awwwwwwww
    Yew poowah thing
    Oy am shoowah it muss be harrible fa yew ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    He's a sore seller. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »

Yep. And I'm a happy buyer! :smile: This thing's a keeper for sure! Got me thinking about this whole McIntosh thing. Those blue meters and green lights have got me mesmerized!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Question; I know you LOVED the Conrad Johnson amp that you had. What are the differences between it and this McIntosh?
    (or is it mainly the fact that the seller lost his mind after selling it to you?? ;):D:D )
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Tony M wrote: »

Yep. And I'm a happy buyer! :smile: This thing's a keeper for sure! Got me thinking about this whole McIntosh thing. Those blue meters and green lights have got me mesmerized!

Yes by far my favorite room at Axpona or RMAF. May not be the best sounding but gosh is it by far the best eye candy.
    So yes I understand
  • verb
    Question; I know you LOVED the Conrad Johnson amp that you had. What are the differences between it and this McIntosh?
    (or is it mainly the fact that the seller lost his mind after selling it to you?? ;):D:D )

Still love the CJ! My first super nice amp purchase after having a few Carver SS models. Had the M1.0t that I karmed to a buddy, and still have a TFM-35x that most likely will end up in the garage rig.

I remember doing a side by side between the Carver and CJ - night and day difference! CJ was far superior IMO.

Have not done the same between the CJ and the Mac yet. But will do soon hopefully! :smile:
  • honestaquarian
    Which Carver did you do the comparison to the CJ with? The TFM-35x doesn’t have the transfer function modification circuitry. They decided to remove it for reasons never explained when they went for the THX certification. The M 1.0t was modeled after a CJ tube amp and has a really dark top end (this is the production version of the amp that won the infamous Carver challenge with stereophile many years ago)
  • verb
    I compared the TFM to the CJ. That probably explains it. Thanks for sharing your insight!
  • honestaquarian
    I had a TFM-55x and while it was more than halfway decent sounding, I really wanted that sound that the TFM-55 produced. That plus the fact that the bass was loose unless you purposefully wired the speakers out of phase (red wire to black terminal and vice versa) Then the bass tightened up nicely. I never had a TFM-35x, but I did have the A-500x that replaced it. None of the THX certified “x” model amps had the transfer function modification. I have had three TFM-45’s over the years and still have one which needs to go to the shop. I also have a TFM-25 that needs a trip to the shop and another on it’s way to me. They have that nice tubelike sound to them that the later THX amps lacked. I always liked the Carver/Polk synergy. They just seemed to go well together in my humble opinion. Especially the TFM series and the Polks with the trilam tweeters (models with the SL-3000) and later.
    There are PLENTY who will disagree right here on the forum, but for every one who disagrees there is one who agrees.
    It doesn’t mean these suckers can hold a candle to a Conrad-Johnson or a McIntosh!!
  • verb
    Yep. It's what you like for sure. But my limited experience and really for the first time I did a head to head comparison, the CJ clearly was the winner! Nice to know someone with a lot of Carver TFM history!
  • honestaquarian
    Hopefully you will get an opportunity to compare the CJ and the Mac. I look forward to seeing that review.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I had a chance to compare my tfm45 to my Mcintosh mc2500 several years ago. Up until that point I also liked the Carver-Polk sda synergy very much. After that comparison though the Carver went to live somewhere else and I went on a Mcintosh buying binge having been stricken with the blue meter fever. I often think if only that Carver could've won out or at least had a better showing against the old Mac it would've saved me a LOT of money over the years.
  • verb
    I had a chance to compare my tfm45 to my Mcintosh mc2500 several years ago. Up until that point I also liked the Carver-Polk sda synergy very much. After that comparison though the Carver went to live somewhere else and I went on a Mcintosh buying binge having been stricken with the blue meter fever. I often think if only that Carver could've won out or at least had a better showing against the old Mac it would've saved me a LOT of money over the years.

I hear ya brother. Blue meter fever is starting to kick in. Taking medications right now! :smile:
  • honestaquarian
    Let us pray.......
    Lawd
    HEPP deez po blue meetah feevah bowys!!
    Fo Dey got da FEEVAH and they ain’t no cure have muhcy!!!
    Can ah git a AMEN from tha kwyah???!!
    Now put somethin in tha culleckshun plate on ya way out.

NEEEEXT
  • verb
    So I thought this was interesting. One of the things with the older Mac's is they have the screw terminals for spade connectors, of which most will not fit. So I'm using a spade to banana adapter. Works, but not very stable, IMO.

But this looks beefy! He uses a nut/washer to secure the threaded rod to the back of the chassis, and then another nut/washer to secure a spade connector.

Interesting. :smile:

mm7pryacqjnm.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    ^^^^^ That scares me and I'm fearless!
  • verb
    Hehe! Yeah kinda defeats the purpose of the barrier strip! So, I found these looking around. 6/32 screw on one side, banana jack on the other.
    bdiovrh5g7ga.png
  • motorstereo
    Why not use these and use a banana connector? Those bolts look as though they'll stress the barrier strip to the point of breaking
    e619bs2icjdr.png
  • verb
    Why not use these and use a banana connector? Those bolts look as though they'll stress the barrier strip to the point of breaking
    e619bs2icjdr.png

That's what I have. Problem is they are much thinner than the inside width of the barrier strip segments. So they rotate a bit, even after **** em down. And as you mentioned, I don't want to over stress the barrier strip by tightening em down too much.

I mean my setup works, but could be a bit more stable mechanically, IMO.
  • verb
    Funny vanilla got me! Should have said tighten em down!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Can't wait until thirty years from now and people are posting pictures of banana plugs/posts saying how it's not compatible with whatever we are using in Thirty years that's vastly superior... Ahhhh the good life!

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    e619bs2icjdr.png

That's what I have. Problem is they are much thinner than the inside width of the barrier strip segments.

I had that problem with one of my Macs and I used a longer screw with a washer. That's one thing with the older barrier strip gear you need a drawer full of hardware to make different situations work and still you have to get creative sometimes especially if you want to strap a pair of them.
  • verb
    e619bs2icjdr.png

That's what I have. Problem is they are much thinner than the inside width of the barrier strip segments.

I had that problem with one of my Macs and I used a longer screw with a washer. That's one thing with the older barrier strip gear you need a drawer full of hardware to make different situations work and still you have to get creative sometimes especially if you want to strap a pair of them.

Yup. Got me thinking after I ran across the pic of the MC300. For sale, BTW on fleabay! :smile:
  • verb
    So I found a link on Agon, a guy had a similar conundrum. Audio Classics makes this! Pretty, but 2 hundie! OMG! :smile:
    d60fiiscvs81.png
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^My thoughts are that adds an unnecessary connection. With longer screws and a combination of spades and nana's you can effectively strap a pair of barrier strip Mac's. Or you could bridge them and eliminate another connection. I tried both ways on mine and damned if I could tell a difference in the sound.
  • verb
    ^^^^^My thoughts are that adds an unnecessary connection. With longer screws and a combination of spades and nana's you can effectively strap a pair of barrier strip Mac's. Or you could bridge them and eliminate another connection. I tried both ways on mine and damned if I could tell a difference in the sound.

Yep I agree. I was just amazed that there are folks out there that make something for everyone!

And, I wasn't even thinking about those connections until I came across that dang pic! :smile:
  • verb
    So I found these little guys. Screw right into the terminal block, with a banana receptacle at the other.
    r6brbl7latps.png
  • motorstereo
    Now that seems like the best idea so far.
  • verb
    Now that seems like the best idea so far.

Thanks brother. Yep. Just ordered some! :smile: