A McIntosh in Verb's House!

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,913
    verb wrote: »
    Yes Sir! :smile:

Awesome see you there.
  • verbverb Posts: 8,240
    tratliff wrote: »
    That is a great deal on the 1201’s. But I really doubt you need that much power. If McIntosh is your choice take a look at a 452 or a pair of 601’s and use the extra cash for something else.

When I first got my 601’s I also had a SLP-05. It was a nice combo.

Nice! Good to see another Polkie that has already traveled along the same road! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes Sir! :smile:

Awesome see you there.

You too my brother! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,338
    No one really needs that much power or even monoblocks but it sure is nice to have that extra power and separation on the occasions you do feel like having a live concert in your listening room. At normal levels they're also the finest sounding all day low level listening amps I've ever heard and a perfect match for dreadnaughted 1.2tl's imo. They will also stop any thoughts of amp envy or upgraditis so there's a huge savings right there in getting off the amp merry go round. In my case selling the ones they replaced (mc2500's) paid for half their price. My one and only criticism of them is their extreme weight but that goes for most any Mac product. I moved mine into place alone but at 63 years old I know my days of moving 147lb amps around are numbered.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 849
    No one really needs that much power or even monoblocks but it sure is nice to have that extra power and separation on the occasions you do feel like having a live concert in your listening room. At normal levels they're also the finest sounding all day low level listening amps I've ever heard and a perfect match for dreadnaughted 1.2tl's imo. They will also stop any thoughts of amp envy or upgraditis so there's a huge savings right there in getting off the amp merry go round. In my case selling the ones they replaced (mc2500's) paid for half their price. My one and only criticism of them is their extreme weight but that goes for most any Mac product. I moved mine into place alone but at 63 years old I know my days of moving 147lb amps around are numbered.

Understood. But 450, 600, 1200 wpc I’m sure would provide listening levels you describe.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
    Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75
    Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files
    Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"
    Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

Understood. But 450, 600, 1200 wpc I’m sure would provide listening levels you describe.

Absolutely; I even had a pair of Monarchy sm70 class a monoblocks at 70 wpc that worked ok for 90% of my listening......it's that last little bit that costs so damn much.
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,523
    To each his or her own. People always assume that because this is the way that I think and this is what I want and this is how I do things.EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET IS JUST LIKE ME (or should be)
    If a company like McIntosh didn’t think there would be a market for such a powerful pair of mono blocks, then they never would have made them. If memory serves when they first came out they had trouble keeping up with the demand.
    If you don’t think that you need that much power then good on you. It doesn’t mean that:
    A)Everyone else is like you and
    B)Someone needs to listen at concert hall levels in order to benefit from that much power.
    POWER DOES NOT MEAN LOUDNESS.
    That is an old wives tale.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 849
    To each his or her own. People always assume that because this is the way that I think and this is what I want and this is how I do things.EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET IS JUST LIKE ME (or should be)
    If a company like McIntosh didn’t think there would be a market for such a powerful pair of mono blocks, then they never would have made them. If memory serves when they first came out they had trouble keeping up with the demand.
    If you don’t think that you need that much power then good on you. It doesn’t mean that:
    A)Everyone else is like you and
    B)Someone needs to listen at concert hall levels in order to benefit from that much power.
    POWER DOES NOT MEAN LOUDNESS.
    That is an old wives tale.

I think you have pushed the conversation beyond the intent. My point was when ALL things are considered it might be a wiser decision to invest in other quality components than kilo-watt amplifiers, as long as ample power is at hand.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
    Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75
    Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files
    Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"
    Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"
    We are not here to give @verb sage advice. We are here to show him how to separate his money 💵 from his wallet ;)>:)
    Besides HE was the one who found those amps on eBay.
    I SAY HIT VEGAS BABY AND HAVE MOMMA BRING BACK SOME WINNINGS!$!$!$!$!$!
    I appreciate all the sage advice! And the banter as well! Good discussion thus far! :smile:
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,583

Given that it takes more than 2700 watts to accurately reproduce the sound of a scissor-snip, I would be inclined to say that the more power you are able to have at hand, the better. The reason for having that capability is not to be able to pretend you are at an ACDC concert, but rather to have the power available for transient demands that require instantaneous release of energy. A high current, high wattage design with a large amount of stored reserves tends to work best IMHO.

When I built my amps, I increased the power caps by 30% over what Bob was using, and I am happy I did. The next amps will have (8) 450v 1200uf screwtop capacitors, one for each output tube. I expect it will make 500 watts, and nearly 10,000uf worth of energy storage.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

Given that it takes more than 2700 watts to accurately reproduce the sound of a scissor-snip, I would be inclined to say that the more power you are able to have at hand, the better. The reason for having that capability is not to be able to pretend you are at an ACDC concert, but rather to have the power available for transient demands that require instantaneous release of energy. A high current, high wattage design with a large amount of stored reserves tends to work best IMHO.

When I built my amps, I increased the power caps by 30% over what Bob was using, and I am happy I did. The next amps will have (8) 450v 1200uf screwtop capacitors, one for each output tube. I expect it will make 500 watts, and nearly 10,000uf worth of energy storage.

Ah yes the scissor snip analogy. I thought I was the only one who remembered that.
    Excellent point!
    Excellent sounding combination; Mac and MIT and that's a nice, neat looking job you did with those unwieldy cables Verb.
    Hey just think you won't have to worry about those barrier strip connectors when you snag those 1201's :)
    Excellent sounding combination; Mac and MIT and that's a nice, neat looking job you did with those unwieldy cables Verb.
    Hey just think you won't have to worry about those barrier strip connectors when you snag those 1201's :)

f8b3wxk5fiag.jpeg

Oh and did I mention...............WOW😲 JUST LOOK 👀 AT THOSE BINDING POSTS ;)
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 696
    edited April 19
    So tonight I installed my new Pomona adapters. Nice tight fit to the terminal block. And the banana connectors fit snug. Happy camper here! :smile:
    xtkop113eygh.jpeg

I'm glad your found these Pomona adapters. On Wednesday, I installed the ones I ordered on the terminal strips of my Infinity SSW-210 Servo Sub. I have more to order for the SSW-212 sub.

qrif0cpzja7l.jpg
    gwash5ex74v3.jpg

Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    edited April 19
    Very nice @BlueBirdMusic ! You even got the color coded ones! I'm very happy with the Pomona adapters! Nice solid connection now! :smile:
    So I've been thinking about getting a mate for my beloved MC300, running em in bridged mode. It looks like they are low ohm capable. Any issues with bridging? Pros/cons? Please advise. Here are the specs:
    9b8dmf7q6ovo.png
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,286
    I wouldn't stress over bridging. McIntosh holds value well so it wouldn't cost you much to attempt it, but it also probably won't gain you anything and might hurt the sound overall.
    DSkip wrote: »
    I wouldn't stress over bridging. McIntosh holds value well so it wouldn't cost you much to attempt it, but it also probably won't gain you anything and might hurt the sound overall.

Thanks for the insight Skip! How would it hurt the sound?
    edited July 1
    DSkip wrote: »

Thanks for the link! Interesting, surely something to think about. The MC300's are very low ohm capable, even has a switch on the back to enable bridging.
    edited July 1
    I ran bridged-paralleled MC2500's on my 1.2tl's for a few years and it was a nice upgrade over running a single 2500. I could not tell a difference in sound running them paralleled or bridged. I'm thinking you should give it shot if another MC300 appears. Those 2500's living here made a believer out of me on having a separate amp for each speaker and it just may put you on the course for a pair of 601's or 1201's like it did to me
    I ran bridged-paralleled MC2500's on my 1.2tl's for a few years and it was a nice upgrade over running a single 2500. I could not tell a difference in sound running them paralleled or bridged. I'm thinking you should give it shot if another MC300 appears. Those 2500's living here made a believer out of me on having a separate amp for each speaker and it just may put you on the course for a pair of 601's or 1201's like it did to me

I like your style brother! :smile:
    Talking about bridging amps in the audiophile world is almost like talking about cables.
    RABBIT HOLE
    Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    If you do then great!
    If you don't then great!
    You will never know how something tastes until you taste it. Asking other people to describe the taste of it and whether or not they liked the taste does what exactly for you??
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,457
    edited July 1
    IMHO if you want the biggest gain to your sound you should do the full mod on your SRS's and then some room treatments. Other than that, most all your components in your basement rig are top notch (to me). Just my 2 cents worth...
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    Parasound Halo C-2 Pre/pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,570
    I agree with the above, for all the crazy awesome gear upgrades you have been doing you are still holding your 1.2s back from their full potential.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    I hear ya! Certainly on my list of upgrades! :smile:
    Talking about bridging amps in the audiophile world is almost like talking about cables.
    RABBIT HOLE
    Try it for yourself and see if you like it.
    If you do then great!
    If you don't then great!
    You will never know how something tastes until you taste it. Asking other people to describe the taste of it and whether or not they liked the taste does what exactly for you??

Yep. The MC300's don't come up for sale very often. Certainly not for the smoking price I got mine! Gotta keep looking, patience grasshopper! :smile: