A challenge to the king: Audio Research 5se vs Cary SLP05

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    bz06o3uogki8.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I hope you don’t sell the Cary. I sure like going back and forth to the Cary and joule. Best of both worlds and hard to find any longer.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    The Cary is being let go
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nailed that one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited February 2019
    ...and you're sure the tube compliment of each didn't have something to do with one being preferred over the other and not the differences in units?

I didn't take the time to look what each uses where, but in your reviews and conversation there is no mention of tubes used or rolled or if they were the same, etc, etc. or even what each was running. Sort of a huge omission when comparing tubed gear, IMO.

Tubes are extremely important in a pre-amp as they can make or break the sound..........profoundly in some cases.

Just curious

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nailed that one.

Yep, AR has a reputation for "clean", and Cary "warm". For me....I'll take warm over clean any day and twice on Sundays.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2019
    Congrats Joey. The 5SE was on my upgrade list but I stopped at the Ref 3. Definitely bypass the 5.

I sure don't feel cold listening to the 'clean' sound versus warm and soggy. Some of you guys make AR sound like a really bad choice. It isn't. Period.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • WagnerRC
    Joey, If you sell the pope's. Let me know. Thanks
  • heiney9
    I think AR is a great choice. I was just curios about the tubes used in both and if any experimentation was going on. It's weird to me to review 2 tube pieces, but never touch on the tubes. Even just naming what tubes were used for each.

It's great when you can re-discover your system all over with a new/different piece of gear. it's one thing that makes this hobby so much fun!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Can we assume stock/factory provided tubes in both?
  • heiney9
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Can we assume stock/factory provided tubes in both?

I suppose, but there are some better, more musical choices out there. What comes stock?

H9

• WagnerRC
    The cary slp05 come with stock electro-harmonix 6sn7's
  • Joey_V
    edited February 2019
    Hey guys

So in all actuality, the Cary 05 has the advantage of home field. It has been tweaked as best as I could over the 4 years that I've had it. The stock tubes are ElectroHarmonix 6sn7, but I have rolled so many tubes through it including Sylvanias, RCA, and new stock Tung Sols.

The best I could find are actually the extremely rare Pope 6sn7 tubes from Upscale which they do not sell to the freemarket. I bought them for approximately $500 for 6 tubes.

I have tried 6 Popes in all the positions, and settled on EH in 2 of the positions and Popes in 4 of the positions.

This gave me the best combination of warmth and speed and imaging density.

Power cord is the best AQ (not counting the new triple braid series) WEL at approximately $4K/1meter.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • heiney9
    edited February 2019
    Like I said, just curious as a conversation point. Not being critical or even questioning his choice.

H9
  • Joey_V
    The ARC 5se comes with stock tubes. The power cord is a Shunyata, I am not exactly sure which model but it is one of their top tier.

• Joey_V
    WagnerRC wrote: »

That will be a hard thing for me to sell... the Popes cannot be found and I might always need a 6sn7 for something...
  • heiney9
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Hey guys

So in all actuality, the Cary 05 has the advantage of home field. It has been tweaked as best as I could over the 4 years that I've had it. The stock tubes are ElectroHarmonix 6sn7, but I have rolled so many tubes through it including Sylvanias, RCA, and new stock Tung Sols.

The best I could find are actually the extremely rare Pope 6sn7 tubes from Upscale which they do not sell to the freemarket. I bought them for approximately $500 for 6 tubes.

I have tried 6 Popes in all the positions, and settled on EH in 2 of the positions and Popes in 4 of the positions.

This gave me the best combination of warmth and speed and imaging density.

Power cord is the best AQ (not counting the new triple braid series) WEL at approximately $4K/1meter.

Ah, yes I remember you talking about the Pope's. Great Euro 6SN7.

H9

• heiney9

That will be a hard thing for me to sell... the Popes cannot be found and I might always need a 6sn7 for something...

Not to rain on WagnerRC's parade, but if you don't need to sell them, hang onto them since they are so hard to find. You never know when you might get another piece of gear the uses them.

I have several (as in about 20 pairs) rare/ultra rare tubes I will never sell unless I have to because I either got a screaming deal never to be gotten at that price again or they are just too rare to part with.

Just my .02c

H9

• Joey_V
    heiney9 wrote: »

Not to rain on WagnerRC's parade, but if you don't need to sell them, hang onto them since they are so hard to find. You never know when you might get another piece of gear the uses them.

I have several (as in about 20 pairs) rare/ultra rare tubes I will never sell unless I have to because I either got a screaming deal never to be gotten at that price again or they are just too rare to part with.

Just my .02c

H9

Yeah, Bob's a great guy and he lent me Acoustic Zen gear in the past and even bought Emma some goodies.

But it took me ages to land the Popes..... I mean, it was not easy to find them. If I were to sell it though, it will go to him for sure.
  • WagnerRC
    I agree keep them Joey. I just wanted to make the offer if they went up for sale.
  • SCompRacer
    edited February 2019
    With the 5SE, your choices are somewhat limited. 6H30 ~ $36 each. IIRC the 5SE uses 6H30P reflector ~ $179 each and an upgrade would be the 6H30P-DR Reflector, 1990 production, ~$299 each.

The 5SE takes five 6H30 and one 6550. The 6550 and one 6H30 are for power supply, four 6H30 for the pre.

Some folks that didn't like the 5SE paired it with low impedance input amps. AR says 26,000 minimum though some folks claim it performs better with higher amp input impedance. Joey's amp has 400,000 on balanced IIRC. Mine has 47,000.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    But I believe the Cary still wins for piano.

Just not the lower registers.
  • Joey_V
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    With the 5SE, your choices are somewhat limited. 6H30 ~ $36 each. The 5SE uses 6H30P reflector ~ $179 each and an upgrade would be the 6H30P-DR Reflector, 1990 production, ~$299 each.

The 5SE takes five 6H30 and one 6550. The 6550 and one 6H30 are for power supply, four 6H30 for the pre.

You are the master sir.
  • Joey_V
    Scomp - can you look at the Audio Research 40th Anniv. What tube complements do you see?

rsz_209_audio_research_40th_4.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    Scomp - can you look at the Audio Research 40th Anniv. What tube complements do you see?

Eight 6H30P dual triodes, plus two each 6550C and 6H30P in power supply.
  • SCompRacer

You are the master sir.

Nah, I just read and lust alot...lol
  • heiney9

Oooo..la..la.

Gorgeous....

• Joey_V
    I would need approval from the missus for the 40.