LSiM703's or 705's?

2»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    imsjry wrote: »
    Now what the heck to do with the RTi12s when sales like this are going on?!

Help and friend or family member get a system started...congrats on new speakers

That's what I do with my old gear, I just give it away to someone who will enjoy it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Got them for $999.00!! Can’t wait to hook em up. Thanks for all the input folks.

Congrats, that’s an incredible deal. Let us know how you like them compared to your RTi’s once broken in.
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    So how long would you say the break in period is in hours?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    100-200, but you will start seeing positive changes from 10-50
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    I can't believe I missed it before, but I just noticed Miles there in the corner. His trumpet is going to sound real sweet through those speakers. Congratulations and remember to post pics. The LSiM will look great in that living room.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    Looks like it's been a couple of weeks. Any update? First impressions?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    They may do even better if you can pull them farther away from the front wall.

Also, I would agree that when your budget permits, new/different preamp would be in order. Plenty of time, don't rush it. Enjoy the 705's!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Do folks usually listen with the speaker grill off? or is that just for picture taking? I notice a lot of those type of shots go up.
  • Clipdat
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    Do folks usually listen with the speaker grill off? or is that just for picture taking? I notice a lot of those type of shots go up.

I can't fully explain it, but I'm a grilles on kind of guy.

I think sometimes depending on the type of grille, there will be an acoustic change. Seems like that's just physics. No grille material is technically completely transparent on a molecular level.

As a side note, I recall Jesse mentioning that some speakers are designed/voiced to be listened to with the grilles in place, so that is something to consider as well.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »

As a side note, I recall Jesse mentioning that some speakers are designed/voiced to be listened to with the grilles in place, so that is something to consider as well.

My new KEF speakers don't come with speaker grills (If you want them, you have to purchase them separately). As a matter of fact, none of the new KEF speakers in the Q series include the speaker grills so, I guess, the voicing part Jesse & Drew mention must depend on the designer/manufacturer.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    If they include grills and they weren't voiced with them on then they were not voiced properly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• imsjry

I just think they look cool without the grills. No idea if there is a sonic benefit but now curious!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I always have my grills on.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited January 2019
    Grilles off. Love seeing actual drivers.
    As soon as little kids around, back on they go.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    limited. Overall I’d say I made a big musical improvement with the 705s from the RTis.

ywd1mfm2ur7d.jpeg

Good for you and congratulations! Just a couple of short years ago (man, already?), I went from RTiA9's to the 703's for 2ch. I had groomed my A9's fairly extensively for 2ch. One member here can attest as he's been over for a listen. Even since then I had configured my own interconnects in an effort to improve the signal.

So it wasn't night n day difference but I would agree with your statement of refinement and smoothness. And depending on how much bass you want/need, as mentioned before in this thread, the 703's produce surprising LFE so I'm pretty happy with them. I figure if I ever go tower it'll be the 707.

Congrats again and many happy tunes!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Looks good. Much nicer speakers than the 12s...they may take some dialing in though. Definitely more potential than the RTIs.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • imsjry
    Thanks guys. Loving them so far!

Except now the B&K 3030 I bought to drive them is on the fritz so they're hooked back up to my old Kenwood KA8004 integrated. I know everyone says the LSiM's need lots of power, but I honestly cannot tell THAT much of a difference between the B&K or the Kenwood driving them.

They seem WAY more efficient then the RTi12's. Based on my ears, I may actually send the B&K back to it's seller. I just don't think (hear) that it's doing me much good with the 705's.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    One possible theory: The reason you didn't hear a big difference is because you were using the Kenwood as a preamp.
  • imsjry
    edited February 2019
    One possible theory: The reason you didn't hear a big difference is because you were using the Kenwood as a preamp.

Touché. I guess my thought was no matter what the Preamp source was, the B&K delivering all that extra power to the 705s should have been a noticible difference that just using the intigrated. I do have a Yamaha CX-1 preamp on its way however, I might not have a power amp to hook it up to for a while. 😞
  • Clipdat
    Assuming you listen at "normal" levels of 65-80db, it's possible that you are only realistically using 1 or 2 watts.

So it becomes less about "all that extra power" and more about the "quality" of that power.

Also it can't be stressed enough how much difference a good preamp makes.
  • imsjry
    Assuming you listen at "normal" levels of 65-80db, it's possible that you are only realistically using 1 or 2 watts.

So it becomes less about "all that extra power" and more about the "quality" of that power.

Also it can't be stressed enough how much difference a good preamp makes.

I do have a Yamaha CX-1 preamp on its way however, I might not have a power amp to hook it up to for a while. 😞 If the B&K gets sent back, I’m back to the drawing board searching for good used power amps.