AVR Needed

Something decent with HMDI in and out.... plus audio and video RCA connections in and out. Im trying to set up a system for my sun and my integrated wont cut it. Thanks!

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Not an offer to sale any of ours, but we have had great luck with Yamaha brand in particular.
    From one entry level one about 5 years old and up to an Aventage Series also.
    Both have very decent sound with the Aventage being slightly better and for sure more RCA outputs and so on.

• Personal fan of the Yamaha Aventage Series, but also check out Marantz and Denon. Also nice to have preouts should you want to add external amp later. Check out https://www.accessories4less.com/ .
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Good idea on thw pre outs...then I can give him my amp and rationalize the Butler amp I always wanted. Purchases are always easier to justify when your children somehow benefit
  • K_M
    edited January 2019
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Good idea on thw pre outs...then I can give him my amp and rationalize the Butler amp I always wanted. Purchases are always easier to justify when your children somehow benefit

What is funny, we insisted on the pre-outs with the Aventage receiver, but have not used them at all yet!
    I think the internal amp is really decent sounding on ours,as far as clean and neutral sound, but if one needed really high power for each channel, for sure separates might benefit at times.
  • kevhed72
    Well I cheaped out on the pre outs since there was an open box Yamaha RX V385 and I am a sucker for open box deals. So here's the current setup w a pair of Boston Acoustics A70 speakers. Here got a Pangea stand for Christmas since the old stand was scaring us. Here is a pic:
    cslzl4kryafz.jpeg
  • kevhed72
    The Best Buy expereince was what you would expect, which was annoying. They were carrying the newest 4K Rocketfish banana plugs for 40 bucks, which were sweet looking :D I would have taken a pic but just wanted to get out of there.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Ditto on Yamaha. I’m a huge fan. I had a AVR I bought as a demo at Best Buy for $250. I don’t remember the model number. It was a work horse, had a ton of inputs, and sounded great. I gave it away but wish I hadn’t. I’d use it for a basement setup if I still had it. Now I have the 11.2 channel CX-A5100 pre/pro and MX-A5000 amp. Sounds amazing.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • For future reference, Costco has the Yamaha TSR-7850 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver for $489 currently. It was priced at $399 during the holidays. Member only price.

https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-TSR-7850-7.2-Channel-Network-AV-Receiver.product.100456240.html
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • K_M
    BC6 wrote: »
    Ditto on Yamaha. I’m a huge fan. I had a AVR I bought as a demo at Best Buy for $250. I don’t remember the model number. It was a work horse, had a ton of inputs, and sounded great. I gave it away but wish I hadn’t. I’d use it for a basement setup if I still had it. Now I have the 11.2 channel CX-A5100 pre/pro and MX-A5000 amp. Sounds amazing.

After reading several comments bashing AVR's, we got one for a 2nd system that was mostly video, handful of years back.

It was not a revelation in great sound exactly, but completely listenable, clean and neutral, and simply far better than the anti AVR comments would lead us to believe.

Maybe Yamaha has a better sound that some AVR's, but have not owned every brand or iteration to really make that comment stick, but they do sound quite nice!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    K_M wrote: »

After reading several comments bashing AVR's, we got one for a 2nd system that was mostly video, handful of years back.

It was not a revelation in great sound exactly, but completely listenable, clean and neutral, and simply far better than the anti AVR comments would lead us to believe.

Maybe Yamaha has a better sound that some AVR's, but have not owned every brand or iteration to really make that comment stick, but they do sound quite nice!

For the most part.... anti-AVR comments are usually reserved for when users say they favor music over HT. What else would would you use for an admittedly "mostly video" application?
  • I use my Yamaha RX- A1030 for both HT and music, not the best for music I will admit but very good overall I would buy it again.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

For the most part.... anti-AVR comments are usually reserved for when users say they favor music over HT. What else would would you use for an admittedly "mostly video" application?

Boat anchor? Just throwing ideas out there :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited January 2019
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Boat anchor? Just throwing ideas out there :p

There are some AVRs that could probably anchor a small boat. Not many, but some. Of course, once you figure out if they're adequate as boat anchors, they're probably not much good as AVRs anymore... That's the conundrum.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited January 2019
    There is nothing wrong with using an AVR for AV............In fact I haven't yet figured out how to do it without one.

What are the "high fidelity" options instead of using an AVR? I assume you can get three audiophile amps for the front, center and rear speakers........but what do you use for the surround sound decoding? Specifically for the pro logic decoding when listening to TV shows? What kind of audiophile grade AV preamp do you use?

And how many remotes does it take to switch the channels /inputs?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The boat anchor comment was a joke
    And yes you need a processor i.e. pc or AVR for movie decoding
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited January 2019
    ayre had a 6 channel av power amp, (discontinued) that was base 3 channel at $8.5k and you could add the other three channels at $1200 per channel. it makes a great two channel amp when configured that way. it has three power suplies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7UcJau5TU
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • K_M
    edited January 2019
    delkal wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with using an AVR for AV............In fact I haven't yet figured out how to do it without one.

What are the "high fidelity" options instead of using an AVR? I assume you can get three audiophile amps for the front, center and rear speakers........but what do you use for the surround sound decoding? Specifically for the pro logic decoding when listening to TV shows? What kind of audiophile grade AV preamp do you use?

We have done audio/video using complete separates, and liked the sound a lot, but found the convenience and usability factors (if one is truly honest) to be lacking.
    Add in the fact that you simply have so much stuff (physically) sitting there and connected, it does not create the most sleek or visual look.

Not to mention remotes or Lack of remotes with separates.
    Also the lack of sub crossover and adjustments from the seating area takes a toll on adjustability.

We were totally against an AVR originally, but had owned many stereo receivers, and separates but not until using an AVR did we discover the flexibility and control it offers.
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    I have a couple of AVRS-Yamaha and Pioneer Elite I'm selling to raise some cash. I'm the original owner of both. PM for details.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    delkal wrote: »

It's called a HT pre/pro. Anthem or Cary, Krell, Classe, even Outlaw makes a decent one that sounds good. You'd be surprised at the 2 channel sound from the higher end pre/pro's.

Also, there's injecting a pre-amp into the mix for 2 channel between the AVR and amp. You connect the music sources to the pre amp instead of the AVR. That way the AVR never gets turned on for music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jhw59
    jhw59 Posts: 348
    I've got 2 AVRs for sale in the FS thread that might be of interest.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I have a Marantz NR1403 that I'm not using. Pre-outs for the main L + R. Darn nice little receiver.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Sure looks like the OP already acquired an AVR folks...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer