Somebody say "McIntosh lifestyle products"?

ZOMG (as the cool guys 'n' gals used to say on the internet)

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/MTI100

o7il6v34yd0f.png

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    ^^^^Heck it's only $6500 and it'll replace your KLH all in one. Surely you must've had one of Henry's units in your dorm room back in the day???
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ^^^^Heck it's only $6500 and it'll replace your Crosley all in one.

Fixed it for ya! ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    McIntosh lifestyle products?

I can’t even afford their non lifestyle products.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Not how I'd be spending that money!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    ^^^^Heck it's only $6500 and it'll replace your KLH all in one. Surely you must've had one of Henry's units in your dorm room back in the day???

No, but I've got one in the basement now! :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Sorry. We have 2 threads going on this same unit. I didn't see your thread.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    It's just missing and 8-track to replace the sound design, York, and emerson all in one.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    Sorry. We have 2 threads going on this same unit. I didn't see your thread.

That's OK, yours is positive; mine's the Devil's Advocate complement :*
    In fact, I was gonna post a link to your thread in full disclosure, since it's attracting mostly (other than me) positive comment. My goal is to keep my snark in this one :| I did pose a couple of rhetorical questions (not too snarky, I hope!) in your thread.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185087/mcintosh-turntable-and-amp-combo
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • erniejade
    LOL all good! McIntosh, AKA
    u01h0rn91ql6.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    ouch :)
    Actually, price-wise, maybe not so far off...

31474005273_4e1f224323_b.jpgscan0005-1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

according to the CPI inflation calculator, that Heathkit price from 1979 would be about $3475 today :)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The listed output specs make me queasy.
  • mhardy6647
    FestYboy wrote: »

The Mac's (or the YORX's)?

• erniejade
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Both!
    Again if they add an 8-track back in, I might go for it.
  • mhardy6647
    The Mac's specs look OK -- better than typical for an "all in one" component -- it would be nice to see wow & flutter for the tt, but I don't see anything that's in red flag territory.

I will confess to being a little surprised (although I probably should't be) that it uses a class D power amp topology.

I was amused by some the ad copy, e.g., this:
    Two 12AX7 vacuum tubes power the main preamplifier section, while a separate dedicated phono preamplifier is housed in a custom shielding box that prevents interference or noise from seeping into the vinyl signal. Together, the vacuum tube preamplifier and shielded phono preamplifier are a perfect choice to help make your vinyl albums sound their best...

custom shielding box i]sic[/i -- I mean, isn't a lot of the thing "custom" (at least on the outside)? It would be funnier if they said something like "... and we stuffed the phono preamp in an aluminum Hammond project box." :)

In the 1960s, it seemed as though the word "special" would always appear at least once in catalog ad copy for any given hifi compoent. see for yourself at www.alliedcatalogs.com or www.radioshackcatalogs.com :)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    LOL all good! McIntosh, AKA
    u01h0rn91ql6.jpg

I think my Mother bought one of those at a yard sale. ;)

And I believe she hooked up some Bose 301s to it. I was barely home so never heard it playing.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • erniejade
    Its the console of 2019. Bring your own wood.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    wood for what?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • erniejade
    edited January 2019

Tony M wrote: »
    wood for what?

sjd8g6e2zv4i.jpg

• mhardy6647
    speaking of which -- Manley Labs poked a little fun at themselves some years back.
    Unlike Mac, though, they were kidding.

38360odub2yi.png

Of course, they had to explain that sophisticated eight track cartridge technology to an naive modern audience.

129aexvl3ftu.png

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/sweetwater-joins-industry-in-rallying-behind-new-audio-format/

• FestYboy

Yorks
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019

Yorks

Yikes.
    Yorkses.

Don't confuse me.

Dorkses

:#
  • mhardy6647
    ps -- the above is offered strictly in jest :*
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Even if I had Mr Hardy's cash flow I still wouldn't consider it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • erniejade
    Lol. Brilliant!! Lol. Love the 8-track on the McIntosh. Now it's competing with the Emerson.
  • FestYboy

Yorks

Yikes.
    Yorkses.

Don't confuse me.

Dorkses

:#

Stupid auto correct... Lol

25W (minimum) at 0.8% from soiled state from all of 40-20k. I suspect a severe lack of current be had by said receiver. Not to be paired to any substantial load for sure.
  • mhardy6647
    We didn't believe in current in the 1970s. ;)
    Our currency was inflated enough.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    So...

the McIntosh fanboys are apparently freaking out by a little alteration that was observed in a photo of boxed MTI-100s on Mac's FB page...

i189jo0knpwv.png

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/wow-is-it-april-mcintosh-mti-100.854935/page-8

Folks are speculating that the 'blackout' underneath the words "Designed by McIntosh in the USA" might say "Made in *****" (fill in your own favorite non-USA country of potential origin for electronic equipment)! :*

I actually thought this was unlikely, given that the tt piece of this chimera is a VPI, which -- AFAIK -- is made in the US. I figure logistics and brand reputation would
    conspire to ensure that final assembly was somewhere in the good ol' US of A.

Figured I'd better check that, though, so I took a look at the VPI Cliffwood web page.
    I was a little surprised by what it says.

Now, I assume there's a typo in that introductory "paragraph". Must be.
    Right?

j082dql1rdcc.png
    All of our products are in Cliffwood, New Jersey. When making entry level products most companies source their components outside their country. This is why we celebrate our heritage and our VPI workers by naming this turntable after our home

Seems to be a word missing in that first sentence :#Gotta be a typo, right?

https://www.vpiindustries.com/cliffwood

B)

I sent 'em an e-mail and suggested they might want to look into that.