What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Doc your listening room is awesome! Lots of depth! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yea, I agree.

2nd , third, 4th, and 5th stringers on the bench. :D:pB)<3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Added a Cullen 3ft Gold Series Power Cable to my Outlaw 5000 amp.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »
    Going to give these resistors a try in the 2.3TL.

Two Path Audio .5 ohm 10W

Four 22.5 ohm Vishay 50W wire wound.

The speakers sound good, but mainly just curious.

nnyvolgkafit.jpg

I thought those would be much more expensive than they are lets us know how they work very interested for my 2.3tl

So far the results have been favorable. They really seem to provide an added level of clarity and smoothness, and I find that I can hear the subtle background dynamics without raising the volume.

I may not be describing this as best as I can, but I feel there is added clarity to the background dynamics that allow them to be more accurately picked up on.

I emailed HiFi Collective and while it appears to be a 6 week wait, but I'm going to try a full compliment of the Path Audio resistors. The 22.5 isn't avail as of yet but will special order them.

The .5 ohm isn't a huge difference, but given the 1% tolerance I don't want to stay too far from the actual values. I also want to try to keep it as accurate as possible to the original design.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    edited January 2019
    playin' around...

61lohs3f5vb9.jpg

9tq0n2z8mhn0.jpg

the tt stand is a KLH Six B)

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Received my Pass XP-22 preamp back from repair. Installed it, and now it is warming up, and will rock tonight. Sounds good so far. Appears to be fixed. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Added this to behind the TV for ambiance

vy9wma3c4b8z.jpeg
    nbb6b33ls5iq.jpeg
    thj3z3cwuhtz.jpeg
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I've been listening to my cd's in two channel all day long. It's a pain to get up every 50-80 minutes to put in a different disc, but it sounds great!

Until I listened to a review on YouTube about the S60's I never realized that the top driver helped with the vocals as well as the tweeter. :o That explains the so full sound throughout my livingroom/kitchen!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    The vocal range is very wide, a baritone can go down to like 150hz or so...

The tweeter of most speakers is like 2.2khz and up, so the midrange/midbass handles a large majority of vocals.

s60vaaorjl4y.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    yeah, and it's a place that a poorly implemented loudspeaker can drop the metaphorical ball... that resonant chestiness that has been too common in too many loudspeakers (and still, sometimes, nearly inexplicably, with modern, 'rationally designed' speakers).

In other words, well recorded male vocals -- and female vocals -- are indispensable tools for loudspeaker evaluation IMO :)

Peeyaners :) [pianos] and any acoustic instruments are really good too, of course.

Heck, if the early Polk "Monitor Series" didn't reproduce the David Grisman Quintet's Dawg Music with such aplomb, I wouldn't be typing this right now... :p

6lp6xlt4nvr4.png
  • BlueFox
    Received my repaired Pass XP-22 preamp today, and it has been playing since 2 this afternoon. Sounds great, and no popping, so I guess it is fixed. Just to be sure I will listen to it all night, along with my Saturday night beer. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Received my repaired Pass XP-22 preamp today, and it has been playing since 2 this afternoon. Sounds great, and no popping, so I guess it is fixed. Just to be sure I will listen to it all night, along with my Saturday night beer. :)

Hopefully my X0.2 will come home in a couple weeks and I will spend some quality time with it as well. Glad you are enjoying your night Mr. Fox...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    Thanks John. I did enjoy my spare Cambridge Audio 850E preamp while the Pass was gone, it just doesn’t compare to the Pass. In a month or two I will replace my Lumin S1 with an X1, and that should be my last audio upgrade. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    I think you should upgrade that Sony CDP to at least something from the DCS family. :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    I only use the CDP to determine if a CD is worth ripping, even if only one song. I doubt if there is a CDP made that can compete with the Lumin. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Had the day off today, time to play with the set of TSi 400 speakers that I acquired recently. Eventually destined for a HT setup, but decided to put em in the office nearfield setup, for testing purposes only! Will they supplant the Acoustic Technologies single driver FR towers? We'll see! :smile:
    0cqrd8xlw7kx.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    Yesterday, my son figured out the issues with the Pass X0.2, so I called the lab today and they will make the needed adjustments... should be right as rain when it comes home.

• mhardy6647
    Yesterday, my son figured out the issues with the Pass X0.2, so I called the lab today and they will make the needed adjustments... should be right as rain when it comes home.

So... out of curiosity: what're the issues and what sorts of adjustments are (expected) to be involved? I can see where the latter might still require "in hand" diagnosis. :)

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited January 2019
    Got back to Newport to find a rega box waiting for me :smile: Got a new P6 with Ania MC cartridge and the matching Fono Mc phono amp. Just got it all set up and playing some Toto IV as I type. Lots more to come later!
    Post edited by stangman67 on
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Pretty much no light in this room. Better pics to come.

er1amlplg8ez.jpeg
    092gzmazeqo5.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Today at our house -- a mid-1960s era "Solid State" (ahem ceramic) cartridge (https://www.vinylengine.com/library/grado/model-b.shtml ) is singing again, thanks to eBAY and a sixteen dolla (including shipping), albeit generic, stylus. :)

46778603172_9ca6e51ee4_h.jpgDSC_3849 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

39865598663_7260ecf6c4_h.jpgDSC_3850 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The LP shown in the photos was a deliberately chosen, "cannon fodder" disk, just in case things didn't work out too well :#

Things worked out pretty OK, however. Things were (are) finicky (which might be due to the sloppy fit of the generic stylus's carrier on the cartridge, and thus alignment with the cartridge's piezo "ceramic" elements), but it actually sounds pretty good. I did ultimately try it with an iffy copy of a very good sounding album (Peter, Paul and Mary's Peter, Paul & Mommy).

• nooshinjohn
    edited January 2019
    ClearAudio Goldfinger V2... :*

uveux4s3d6dq.jpg

• joecoulson
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Pretty much no light in this room. Better pics to come.

er1amlplg8ez.jpeg
    092gzmazeqo5.jpeg

SWEET do a review of it on a sep thread please Zach!
  • stangman67
    I will do a separate thread once 100hr break in time on the Ania has surpassed. I hear it takes a long time to break in fully and open up to it’s full potential. I am not one to do detailed reviews but I’ll share my general thoughts. So far so good though. I will say ania and Fono is seriously quiet! Very little background noise

• mhardy6647
    ClearAudio Goldfinger V2... :*

uveux4s3d6dq.jpg

Cooler than my Grado ceramic (not that I would admit that just anywhere) ;)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

So... out of curiosity: what're the issues and what sorts of adjustments are (expected) to be involved? I can see where the latter might still require "in hand" diagnosis. :)

The Pass X1 has a low gain of 4db. My son got his hands on the remote and somehow figured out how to set the high gain feature, which is 14db. This caused the X1 to exhibit the same level of hiss as I was experiencing from the X0.2.

Pass is going to trim the X0.2 to reflect low gain settings of the X1. This should eliminate the excessive hiss that was heard and I should be good to go.

Ahhh!
    Thanks.
    I was muy curious.
  • joecoulson
    I also heard that it likes 2g weight vs 1.8
  • stangman67
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I also heard that it likes 2g weight vs 1.8

I’ve read that as well, at least to facilitate break in. It’s at 2g right now. Will verify with my Shure scale tomorrow when I have some daylight in the room

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2019
    Well, thanks to JOE and his heads-up on a great deal, I have a PS Audio Stellar GCD preamp/DAC coming. 15yrs my system has been fronted by Benchmark DAC's in the preamp/dac role; it was time for something different.

yuir0387cbo2.jpg

Gruesome, entrails pic:
    ip93iq1svizo.jpg
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    edited January 2019
    Congrats Steve!!!

I have to give credit where credit is due - thanks from both me and steve to @kharp1 for the heads up when i was trying to decide between this and the Parasound p6 (of which i have now spent a little time with at my dealer and am happy I got the PS A.