LSiM703's or 705's?

imsjry
imsjry Posts: 120
2 channel only. Smallish living room (I sit about 10ft from speakers). Music only listening.

B&K3030 power amp/KA8004 Kenwood Preamp

Current RTi12 owner looking for a musical change. It seems like WAY more bang for your buck with the 703's, but I do not want to feel like I'm missing out on details. I don't care so much about thumping bass but obviously want good, full sound. If I go 705's, is that just overkill for my room especially comparing cost differences?

Thoughts on the differences in relation to my setup? Thanks!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    There is no such thing as overkill, get the 705 towers and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    cfrizz wrote: »

Cathy, great timing..!..
    I was going to suggest the 703, but with the idea of a possible sub in the plans or future!
  • imsjry
    edited January 2019
    cfrizz wrote: »

Well my girlfriend might beg to differ! So overkill considering they are twice as much money? I haven’t found a review comparison that says the 705’s are twice as good I guess is a big part of why I’m questioning.
  • cfrizz
    LOL, sorry about the GF. I have never been a fan of bookshelf speakers. Have you taken into account the fact that you will have to get stands for them as well.

If money is truly a concern, while they might not be the LSiM speakers equivalent, how about considering the Signature S60 speakers. They are far more musical than the RTi series and can do both music and movies with ease without the earpiercing quality of the RTI tweeter. Plus they are more budget friendly and look great.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • imsjry
    So I should have mentioned the catalyst for this whole this was the current 50% deal of the LSiM line that was posted here somewhere! So I think it’s a great time to get one of the pairs.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I use the 703’s in a smallish room and after a long break-in period became quite enamored with them. Tremendous bang for buck at $600/pair on sale. I am amazed at the bass they put out but real nice all-around. You’ll need stands. Your gear would seem to be quite adequate.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Get the 705’s.

You won’t have to worry about finding stands that will be visually appealing as well as acoustically inert enough for the speakers.

You already have floor standing speakers, so the room should accommodate them.

Your girlfriend doesn’t seem to object to the big speaker cabinets in the room. Keep getting big speakers.

In the middle of a movie, or sitting enjoying music the “I wonder complex” won’t rear its ugly head. Nothing worse than being interrupted, while enjoying a favorite song, by I wonder how much better this would have sounded on those other speakers. It’s almost like some voodoo curse.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I echo @dromunds statements. But remember that you will need good solid filled stands with those 703s for them to sound their best. That adds $150-200 minimum to the price. And then they take up the same floor space. I do like the look of nice bookies on nice stands, but they take up the same space and demand basically the same visual attention as floorstanders, so I would say get the 705s of you can afford it!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • 705s and you don’t need to worry about getting a sub.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Agree just got the 705’s and they have plenty of bass. I love the design it’s pet proof. Due to the curves and grill setup they haven’t tried to jump on it or scratch it at all. Adorama should still have the pair for $999
  • imsjry
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    Agree just got the 705’s and they have plenty of bass. I love the design it’s pet proof. Due to the curves and grill setup they haven’t tried to jump on it or scratch it at all. Adorama should still have the pair for $999

Where did you find the $999?? I found them there for $600/each. Thanks!
  • imsjry
    Great responses and points for either option so I’m still on the fence. A room picture attached for an idea. Is the consensus that I shouldn’t even consider the 703s if I have no intention of buying a sub?

Thanks again all! 5lu7qarvt78i.jpeg
  • 705s would look beautiful in that space.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Is the room to the left and behind you all open?

703s put out a surprising amount of bass for their size, and that's not an exaggeration.

Do the RTi12s have satisfactory bass response for you, or does it sound like they can or should be putting out more?

The reason I'm asking is because if the room opens up a lot behind and to your left, you can have trouble pressurizing the space, and the speakers can sound thin. 705s won't fix this, and you'll need a sub.
    If the room is mostly enclosed, 705s should do well.

In a larger open space, I've tried 705s and 703s with a sub, and I prefer the 703s with the sub, even over the 705s with or without the sub.

In a smaller, more enclosed room, the 705s are fantastic, and as noted above, no sub required.
    I disabled signatures.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited January 2019
    I've spent about 500+ hours listening to the 705 in a LSiM 5.1 configuration. Those 4 cassini woofers produce a lot of bass. Without the Audyssey calibration eliminating the peakiness, as in when the avr is in direct mode, the resonant bass is pretty overwhelming. That's with the 705 1.5 ft away from the wall. Some say they need to be even further away from the wall. I forgot his name, but the forum user who recently traded his LSiM towers for Elac Adantes mentioned the LSiM needing to be quite a ways from the wall.

It looks like you have a hard wood floor with no carpeting---not even a rug. I can see you possibly putting rugs in front of the towers just to calm down the bass. Personally, I don't think it's a failing of the towers themselves-- room characteristics being more the issue.

So, to add to halo's comment, the 703 would provide you with more versatility. You asked if you'd miss any detail. The answer to that is simply no unless we're talking about bass detail. Even then, it would only be below 40hz I'd have to imagine. A jazz quartet double bass doesn't reach below that range, and that's about as deep as I'd need a musical speaker to get.

If you absolutely refuse to get a sub, then I think you'd be safer with the signature series S60. They are of course going to be more musical than the RTi, and they sound amazing. Also, I think my neck would start cramping if I had to stare at a TV screen placed at that height.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    If you're set against getting a sub, due diligence would be to at least have a look at the 707s, as well. The general consensus is that the 705s are better balanced, but there have been a couple of recent reports of 707s being better in some ways. That may hold true in your space if it's more open. But again, if you've got a bass suck-out, I'm not sure even 707s will do it.

It's absolutely a big investment, yes, but it doesn't make sense to spend so much and stop short of what you need at the figures you're considering, especially with the deals on LSiMs these days.
    I disabled signatures.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I LOVE the 703, but if I were in your situation, I'd get the 705 and never look back. You have the room for them and they are (IMO), the best speaker in the LSiM lineup.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • imsjry
    Thanks so much for all the input guys. The room cuts off with a stairwell about 15 ft back from the front of the speakers. I think I’m gonna bite the bullet and get the cherry 705’s. I’m excited!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2019
    Says expired but when I click on it they still show $999 for a pair.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/12451354

y2zsz4wbzbub.jpeg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Unbelievable deal!
  • cfrizz
    Make sure you post new pics when you have everything set up!
  • imsjry
    Got them for $999.00!! Can’t wait to hook em up. Thanks for all the input folks.
  • dromunds
    That’s a no brainer price.
  • dromunds
    Don’t forget they may require substantial break-in period
  • imsjry
    Now what the heck to do with the RTi12s when sales like this are going on?!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    imsjry wrote: »

Help and friend or family member get a system started...congrats on new speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    imsjry wrote: »

Help and friend or family member get a system started...congrats on new speakers

Haha, we have literally Given away maybe 12 pairs of speakers to friends and family over just the last several years.
    Usually just going to dinner or helping out with something is all the payment we ask for!

About to get rid of maybe 5-6 more pairs fairly soon.
  • Congrats!!