New TV value I'm impressed with...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited November 2018 in Electronics
Bought a Vizio P65-F1 this weekend at bestbuy for $899. Pretty impressed with this set, after the "passing" of my Panasonic plasma 58". The Vizio is a 65" 4k set that gets pretty respectable reviews. Dialing in the picture is pretty easy using the "Calibrated" modes, and some suggested tweaks to those modes---and BINGO, great picture. The blacks and dark detail are incredible on this thing; never though it would be possible on an LED/LCD type panel. Can't speak to "HDR" performance, because I don't have any content, nor a way to play it. My Oppo BDP-103 looks fantastic on it.

Anywho...just though I'd share.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Welcome to the dark side Steve, congrats man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2018
    Just an update:

Couple weeks in, and I really like this P65-F1 HDTV. Blacks are incredible, though it seems to "push" red a little bit. I just tweaked the "Calibrated" mode a bit, and the picture is wonderful. I ended up getting a soundbar for it, nothing special, but better than the small rear-firing speakers built-in. I'm using only 1080p sources, but it looks fantastic. 65" for $899...I'm a happy camper.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2018
    Is it a smart TV? If so you should be able to steam some compressed 4K content from Youtube and Netflix. Compressed yes, better than 1080 still? Yes.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    From what I’ve read, it has a very impressive picture, once properly set up. Haven’t seen one in anybody else’s home, and there was no way it was even close to properly calibrated when I was shopping for one.

Of course that seems to be a trend when shopping for TVs. Guess I can’t blame various businesses for that. Most people only care about screen size rather than picture quality, so why bother.
  • steveinaz
    From all of the reviews I have read, and my own experience, "Calibrated" and "Calibrated Dark" are very, very close to perfect. I did change back-lighting to better suit my room, and of course turned off all "noise reduction" processing.
  • I have last years P65-E1 model and really love it. I keep my setting at "Calibrated". I find "Calibrated Dark" a little too dark for my viewing. I also put the gamma at either 2.0 or 2.1. Any higher and it's too dark again. I know the new models have an even brighter output than mine, but I still love it. Glad you are happy with the set, I think they are a great value for the dollar and provide an exceptional picture.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Hope I didn’t give the impression that I viewed that the picture on that set was bad or anything. I was trying to say, and probably didn’t do a very good job at it, was that when I was shopping for TVs, I read a lot about various sets.

In my price range, I was considering 5. The Vizio P-series was one of them. I must have looked at that set 20 times over about 3 months, and I almost bought that one. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that particular set would look at least twice as good if it were calibrated. Many other times when I noticed something, I again contributed to a calibration issue.

I kicked Samsung out of the running after the first viewing, even though I knew proper calibration would do wonders for it. Just the way they were displayed caused me to think everything would look like the movie “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I am a Vizio Fan Boy so I am biased...there's only 4 of them in the house now and 1 LG...but I digress...for the price, Vizio is hard to beat.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2018
    I always found Vizio to be a great budget option, as I have them all over the house as well--the P65 really shocked me at it's price, and it was nice to bump up from a 58" to a 65".

I use "Calibrated" with backlight at 60; 2.1 gamma. Our room goes from moderately bright to dim throughout the day. We rarely watch with the room completely dark. I too found "Calibrated Dark" far too dull looking.
  • All we have is Vizio in the house. I have some cheaper ones for the bedroom and workout room. My older model (9 years running) was one of their top 55" models back in 2009 and is still running strong. That set is downstairs now for the kids. The 65" replaced it in our family room. I wanted the 4k, HDR and Dolby Vision and it looks great for the money.

Vizio isn't for everyone, I get that. Everyone has a different price point for what they value - and that is no different for TVs. I like the Sony and LG TVs, but the price point for those sets doesn't justify the perceived benefit for me. I know for others, that's not the case and the extra cost does justify the improved technology. I love the new OLED sets, but I couldn't justify the additional $2k I would have had to pay to get the same sized set.

On a side note, I got my TV from Costco and paid for it with my Costco Visa card. Costco's 90 day no questions asked return policy is hard to beat. If you find you don't like the TV, just bring it back within the 90 day period and you get a full refund. Additionally, the Costco purchase provided me with a 4 year warranty if anything should happen to the set. Hard to match that in my opinion.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Steve, is the viewing angle really as bad as the professional reviews claim?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have never experienced the viewing angle woes the reviewers claim. In fact, when we have company, my wife usually sits at the dining room table which is like a 75* angle from the TV in the living room and says she can see the picture fine.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2018
    I have last years M series Vizio (bought in late 2016) and it replaced a Panny Plasma and I have been thrilled with it since day 1. This is the model with the Android Tablet for a remote and it's been excellent and really easy to use the Smart TV functions and apps. straight from the tablet.

Edit: sometime in 2017 they did away with the free tablet remote, doesn't get such favorable reviews as a smart tv after they did that.

Hooked up a Polk sound bar and it really is a fantastic package.

I would buy a Vizio upper end model again.

H9

P.s. I meant I had the M series.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • I have 2 "old" Vizio (37" and 46", both 1080p) and a 65" plasma Samsung
    Just purchased a LG 75UK 6190 PUB for $950 during Black Friday at Costco
    It's HDR but not Dolby Vision.....hope I'm not missing something?
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    heiney9 wrote: »

Which Polk sound bar did you go with Brock?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    halo wrote: »

And does it have Alexa?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kill-foster-parents-amazons-alexa-talks-murder-sex-120601149--finance.html
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Sign up for 4k Netflix on the TV app, then you can really see how good that TV is. For the money it's really awesome
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    I have the highest level Netflix, would that include 4k programming?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    halo wrote: »

Magnifi-mini.

Very impressed with the sound it puts out for such a small foot print. Small footprint is what I wanted.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I have the highest level Netflix, would that include 4k programming?
    All you have to do to know if you have 4k Netflix is look for the Dolby Vison HDR and 4k logos at the top of each movie menu. If you are paying $13.99 per month you should have 4k. As long as the player your using or app on the TV can do it, you have it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • steveinaz
    Cool, thanks Dan.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I may have to pick one of these up. Reviews are good other than the viewing angle, which I can probably live with.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I can relate Skip, I have a 32" Sony in my bedroom and only watch the news on it during the week to catch the weather!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2