Marantz SA KI Ruby vs...

Options
So has anyone heard this guy?
I keep going back to the Yamaha CD-3000 which can be had for a grand less now.
I feel like they would have to knock it out of the park for me to buy ANY 4 digit
spinners.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8477070/cd-sales-not-dying-but-heading-towards-niche-status-vinyl-analysis

Does it make sense at this late stage of the CD game to just buy a new solid
transport to be used with the ever changing DACs that are coming out.

Going the transport route, and I know this is going to be a bit controversial,
you could buy old great sounding CD players that get you 95% there for a
C note or so.

anybody else on the fence?

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    In 2013 alone there were 211 million CD's sold. So, even if the number sold has dropped off I don't think anyone has to worry about them disappearing as there are billions out there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I believe the 211 million figure was just the US.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    In 2013....
    Last year there were 211 million CDs sold in the United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. While this number is down 78% from the format’s peak in 2000, it still amounted to around $2.5 billion in revenue

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    "Nielsen's mid-year numbers show that for the week ending June 29, 2018, CD sales totaled 34.8 million, or nearly twice as many as what the RIAA says."

Not too shabby. I was a part of that statistic!

I think I'm going to cool it on the physical media music purchases though, as I totaled up how much I just spent on my last order of CDs and SACDs and it was about $450!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @DSkip Redbook. I don't find SACDs that compelling. I find remixing
    and remastering for a certain format more satisfying. It could be
    Vinyl, HDCD, SACD, Hi-res ect.

I'm not suggesting CDs will disappear. What I'm thinking is the trend
    will be for $35.00 Hybrid SACDs for example. How many people are
    going to want to pay that? Niche market.

The reason I'm thinking transport is a lot of people don't want to
    hassle w/ old CD players on the used market. They just want it to work.
    Me, I'm good with it.

Some of this may come down to a certain system or listener taste.
    However, I'd rather pay $50-$100 bucks and get almost all the way to the
    TOTL sound. (seems these old players are getting more expensive)

So, is the Ruby the best that Marantz offers currently AFA sound?

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • F1nut
    Options
    LOL.....flawed logic.

The Marantz SA10 is the TOTL.

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL.....flawed logic.

Buy it now at Crutchfield for under $7k!
  • SIHAB
    Options
    What is the flawed logic??? (rhetorical question)
    I asked what is there best sounding CD player.

If I was to buy a $7k cd player I would buy
    $7k speakers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options

SIHAB wrote: »
    @DSkip Redbook. I don't find SACDs that compelling. I find remixing
    and remastering for a certain format more satisfying. It could be
    Vinyl, HDCD, SACD, Hi-res ect.

I'm not suggesting CDs will disappear. What I'm thinking is the trend
    will be for $35.00 Hybrid SACDs for example. How many people are
    going to want to pay that? Niche market.

I'll pay $35.00-$50.00 for SACD all day. Niche market? Hardly SACD's titles sell out all the time then folks fork out up to $200.00 for titles all the time. Take a look at the pink floyd wywh and Allison Kraus those are selling in the 3 digits.

Do I wish they would be much more forthcoming with many many more titles, YES. If you ask me they all should be hybrid CD/SACD every single one.

Talk about niche market that would be
    HDCD that really brings NOTHING to the party and I don't even remember the last time i even seen anyone market a piece of gear with that in that in the headline.

• SIHAB
    Options
    I'm not sure you represent mainstream commercial CD buying @pitdogg2
    For my part, I think I bought one NEW redbook CD this last year. There must
    of been a few more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.
    (Coltrane, both directions at once) The SACDs I've enjoyed the most were done w/ some care for the format. That was my point to that.

However, my half baked thoughts are more to buying 4 figure CD/SACD players
    today. Right now. I'm not sure this is the way to go and wondered where
    other people were at.

• F1nut
    Options
    What is the flawed logic??? (rhetorical question)
    I asked what is there best sounding CD player.

If I was to buy a $7k cd player I would buy
    $7k speakers.

More flawed logic. It all starts with the source.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    LOL.....flawed logic.

It's cheaper on Amazon.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options

"That which is lost at the source is lost forever"?
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    If I were going to spend four figures on a source, I would be very torn about streaming vs. spinner, but I think I would lean towards the spinner (even though I don't currently own one!). CDs aren't going away; plus used ones will just get cheaper (except for the rare and really in-demand titles) and although I think streaming, when properly implemented, can sound as good or possibly even better, the technology will constantly change. A great streamer now might be obsolete in 5 years.

Of course, a turntable is another option, but titles are more limited and expensive...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    LOL.....flawed logic.

It's cheaper on Amazon.

I see... Still out of my league.
  • SIHAB
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Nice. Wonder why a two year old TOTL player is for sale?
    That copper chassis looks real nice. I wonder what it does?
    sgmsmg wrote: »

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options

Have you been introduced to audio nerds? Some of us plow through gear faster than toothbrushes...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SIHAB
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

"That which is lost at the source is lost forever"?

Not really flawed logic. What does a $7000 CD player do
    that a excellent transport and DAC does not? How much better
    is the $7000 CD player vs the $3000 Ruby for redbook CDs?

Here is another question for you. Why are there so many
    places to mod CD players? Can you buy a well thought of
    CD player with a DAC you like and have some basic mods
    done or do them yourself and have a top notch CD player
    for hundreds, not thousands?

• SIHAB
    edited December 2018
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Have you been introduced to audio nerds? Some of us plow through gear faster than toothbrushes...

Tip of the cap to you. I understand. My dad used to sell cars for a while and
    he told me cars were traded in cuz the person got sick (or wife) of the color.
    It does wonder what it was replaced with, doesn't it. Your comment underscores
    my question. Does it make sense to buy a $3000-$10000 CD player today?

Post edited by SIHAB on
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Options
    For some people, yes. For you, it sounds like no.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • SIHAB
    Options
    oh, and for the record...
    I posted this discussion before someone posted that they
    bought the ruby. This isn't directed at anyone. It was some
    open questions.
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Options
    Fair enough, it just doesn't sound like a very "open" question. But carry on, hopefully you get some information that helps you out.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • SIHAB
    Options
    dr1978 wrote: »
    For some people, yes. For you, it sounds like no.

Thanks. I don't know how this moves the discussion forward.
    Have you heard the Ruby that I'm interested in?

"f I were going to spend four figures on a source, I would be very torn about streaming vs. spinner, but I think I would lean towards the spinner (even though I don't currently own one!)" Thanks @rooftop59 Me too about the torn part.
  • SIHAB
    Options
    Fair enough, it just doesn't sound like a very "open" question. But carry on, hopefully you get some information that helps you out.

Then I'm not doing a good job here.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options

Then I'm not doing a good job here.

Ok...so I am going to try and answer this with my own experiences with a high end CDP. Not the Ruby you are asking about but my own experiences with a spinner that was considerably more when new and how it compared to streaming and my other disc spinning options.

A few years ago I took the plunge on an Esoteric disc player. The DAC in that unit was much better than the standalone DAC I had at the time so I used it not as a transport only but as a whole source unit connected directly to my Pre at the time.

What I found is that while it gained me that extra couple of percentage points of performance, it wasn't a massive leap over my streaming options and previous CDP.

For streaming, I could get "most of the way there" with the convenience of not even having to leave my chair to hop to a different genre or artist.
    There were a few niggles I had with my streaming option at the time (laptop with no fans and solid state drives feeding a Peachtree DACiT via USB) but I got 90% of the sound quality and performance of the Esoteric with the streaming option.

For spinning, the Esoteric was quite a leap over the Cambridge Audio DV89. But also, at the time, I only had a small handful of SACDs, HDCDs and Enhanced CDs so I felt like I owned a Ferrari that I only drove once a month. Sort of a waste for someone like me who wants to drive that Ferrari every single day.

Now, the Cambridge Audio DV89 is still here. It is my Jeep...my daily driver if you will when it comes to spinning discs.
    But I also have a proverbial C7 Corvette in the garage in my streaming solution. I now have a Nativ Vita streaming transport feeding a North Star Designs Incanto DAC.
    This gives me all of the performance of the "Ferrari" that was the Esoteric spinner but in a much more convenient and cost effective package.

I guess it really boils down to what is most important to you.

If you want a disc spinner that will do your CD collection justice with performance and quality to spare, then the SA10 is hard to beat. But you will pay for it.
    If you want something that you feel more comfortable driving (I love car analogies...sorry) even if there is a 20% chance of rain, then do the Ruby.
    It is going to get you 99% of the way there and frankly, you will have just as many "nice car" comments with one or the other.

On the other hand, if you want convenience AND quality, streaming with a quality streamer feeding a quality DAC is hard to beat.

Your ears will have to tell you which *you* prefer and that may take trying out a few options.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    Options
    There are DAC's costing as much and more than either of the Marantz players. They also get modded and they also get sold after 2 years.

President of Club Polk

• SIHAB
    Options
    @zltful Thanks. Great post! B)
    I will have to chew on this...
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    What a strange thread
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    What a strange thread

Aren't they all B)