Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    David7544 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    yamaha cd s3000 (which my friend owns) to oppo 203 (which I own)

Interesting, and you say there was "virtually" no difference? It's possible there was a bottleneck elsewhere in the system that was preventing the differences from being heard. I had this happen not too long ago when I demoed some $450/m interconnect cables.

Anyway, I guess enjoy the OPPO then, as well as a fatter wallet. :)

yes,I suppose anything is possible especially in high end audio. But anyone who has an understanding of the fundamentals of digital audio will be skeptical of those who claim to hear a difference in sound quality between cd players.

It was obvious from your it's just 1's and 0's comment that you haven't a clue about digital audio.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited December 2018
    Options

If you want to get into verbatim quotes, you are correct, you didn't say "there's no difference in sound quality between CD players", you said "anyone who has an understanding of the fundamentals of digital audio will be skeptical of those who claim to hear a difference in sound quality between cd players." I think 99% of people who would read the latter quote would interpret the meaning as the former.

Also, it's a pity that you had to resort to personal attacks by implying that I'm not smart enough to be an active posting member of this forum.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Go Browns! :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • David7544
    Options
    your post is incoherent and incomprehensible. I didn't say there's no difference in sound quality between cd players.. Go back and reread my post. If you're not smart enough to participate here, please resolve to simply observe.

If you want to get into verbatim quotes, you are correct, you didn't say "there's no difference in sound quality between CD players", you said "anyone who has an understanding of the fundamentals of digital audio will be skeptical of those who claim to hear a difference in sound quality between cd players." I think 99% of people who would read the latter quote would interpret the meaning as the former.

Also, it's a pity that you had to resort to personal attacks by implying that I'm not smart enough to be an active posting member of this forum.

yes, you're right. I shouldn't have said that. My apologies.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options

Which the 205 is much better, which I own.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited December 2018
    Options
    and you sound as intelligent as you look

Thank you for acknowledging that I am a handsome genius.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    yes, you're right. I shouldn't have said that. My apologies.

Apology accepted.

Moving forward, I think something that's important to keep in mind when discussing audio gear, speakers, cables, etc. and their various price points is that we're actually fortunate that there's such a wide range of options out there for each and every taste and budget.

In the audio game, there's several ways to reach your goal. I recently heard some $200-500k systems at a local audio show that I would HATE to have to listen to on a daily basis, whereas other people were raving about how great it sounded. Everyone hears differently and everyone has different ideas of what sounds "good" to them.

Basically, there's no "right" way to reach the ultimate goal: musical enjoyment.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    I was THIS close to posting a cowboy boot picture which brings happiness and joy to all, but looks like all is good here now.
  • David7544
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Which the 205 is much better, which I own.

I researched the 203 and 205, and my understanding is the only important difference is the 205 has a superior analog output stage. Otherwise, they are the same. Since I don't use the analog output, it didn't make sense to me to pay twice as much. But I would love to have the 205, just for bragging rights. And I understand it's bigger and heavier than the 203, which counts for a lot, IMO.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    If you're not using the analog out, that means you are not using it's onboard dac, if I'm understanding the way that works correctly. Wouldn't using the analog out be the way to go if you are comparing two sources for audio?
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Yep! That's how I roll!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Glad you got that straightened out. For the record, I believe you're smart enough to be an active posting member of this forum, especially since you were able to correct that quoting "issue" you once had! :p:p;)
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Crazy I know B)

mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Glad you got that straightened out. For the record, I believe you're smart enough to be an active posting member of this forum, especially since you were able to correct that quoting "issue" you once had! :p:p;)

• mdaudioguy
    Options
    Crazy I know B)

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!
  • Clipdat
    Options

Oh yeah, I "corrected" that because you guys wouldn't let it go, and I got tired of hearing the constant bellyaching! :)
  • mdaudioguy
    Options

Oh yeah, I "corrected" that because you guys wouldn't let it go, and I got tired of hearing the constant bellyaching! :)

Your concession did not go unappreciated. ;)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Lol. Again this thread.
  • David7544
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    If you're not using the analog out, that means you are not using it's onboard dac, if I'm understanding the way that works correctly. Wouldn't using the analog out be the way to go if you are comparing two sources for audio?

yes, you're right. didn't consider that. I should connect the analog outputs to something. Usually I listen to music thru a Denon AVR since I need something that can do movies, netflix, you tube, cd, etc. Not the most high end component, I know. But sure is versatile. So even if I were to connect the analog output from the OPPO to the AVR, the AVR just converts it back to digital for processing and then reconverts it back to analog, so I still wouldn't be hearing the DAC in the OPPO, I'd be hearing the DAC in the AVR (I think it's a Burr-Brown?) I do have a real good integrated amp in a closet but it can only do analog. Too lazy to dust it off and hook it up and as I said, it can't do all the other stuff,so I'd need two separate systems. Also have a project TT thats right next to the integrated amp up there in the closet. Just don't feel like fooling around with all this stuff anymore. But I am saving up for either Magnaplanar's or Martin Logan ESL's. Haven't decided which. Always wanted esl speakers.Never had them. Forty years ago my neighbor had Acoustat monitors. They looked like the monolith in 2001, a space odyessy. But they sounded incredible.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Take it from someone who just switched from an AVR (mid end Marantz) to a PS Audio pre amp. HUUUUGE (in Trump voice) difference.
    AVR has way to much going on inside for you to hear the difference. Which is essential what you CANT hear until you make that change.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I still don't understand how blanket statements continue to be made about better/worse sound of anything since it has been discussed here many times(and proven to myself) that it truly depends on all the parts in the path of the sound and if they "get along with each other"

I must admit at one time I thought this concept of synergy was marketing hype and what a person wanted to believe(and maybe to some extent it is) but you hopefully live and learn.

I have bought "better" parts of my system to be disappointed but am glad to say that lately I've been pleasantly surprised. Funny though, that after time we still wonder if things could be better.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Apologies if that statement was taken as a blanket statement. Was not my intent.
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Apologies if that statement was taken as a blanket statement. Was not my intent.
    Don't be so quick to apologize... I don't think he was commenting on your post specifically! Seemed more like just tossing his two cents into the stream.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    tru dat
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • David7544
    Options
    there is an AVR that's said to be as good as separates. I think it's Anthem(?). Maybe it could do both analog and all the other digital HDMI stuff? That would be the ultimate, if it can.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    there is an AVR that's said to be as good as separates. I think it's Anthem(?). Maybe it could do both analog and all the other digital HDMI stuff? That would be the ultimate, if it can.

While Anthem makes quality stuff no question 99% of the time an AVR is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I've had some darn good Denon receivers and REALLY REALLY liked the Denon-Link interface they had between Denon universal players and the AVR that kept EVERYTHING in the digital realm with all bass management and no cascading crossovers or multiple D/A conversions.
  • David7544
    Options
    the newest Denon line has some really good AVR's, and they have a moving magnet phono preamp input! How's that for retro! Mine is about six years old and no phono preamp input. It's an AVR X 1100 W.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    the newest Denon line has some really good AVR's, and they have a moving magnet phono preamp input! How's that for retro! Mine is about six years old and no phono preamp input. It's an AVR X 1100 W.

Hi David. Welcome to CP! I've been here for a year and have completely transformed my listening experience. When I first joined, I didn't know what I didn't know. Yeah I thought I did, and was happy with my rig at the time, and was a bit stubborn at the beginning. But as I started to engage in the dialogue, and experiment, all I can say is wow!

My current main rig, is such a huge leap over what I had, it brings me chills when I compare it to the past. I've ventured into areas of audio I didn't know existed, and am happy for it.

Take a look at my anniversary thread and you'll see my rather accelerated journey.

Everyone here on CP is on a journey. Everyone is here to help, and share experiences. And debate. Look at some of the audio cables threads for example for debates not yet settled.

All I'm saying is be a little patient, open minded, yeah tough skinned at times too.

You'll be happy you did. I sure am! Again, welcome! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

David7544 has been around since 2014 verb lol he just looks new not much of a poster. lurker
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    David7544 has been around since 2014 verb lol he just looks new not much of a poster. lurker

Oh he only has a few posts. Still a newbie, IMO! But welcome to jump in more frequently! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • David7544
    Options

do you fight those ugly mutts?