Pioneer being taken private

I realize that most of what anyone here would be interested in vis-a-vis Pioneer was sold to Onkyo a while back, but I just noticed someplace else that the remainder of the company is being bought by a Hong Kong based investment group & delisted.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Deals/Pioneer-to-slide-under-Hong-Kong-fund-s-umbrella-and-delist

source: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-final-death-spiral-of-pioneer.849303/

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :o:'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I'm not sure what the hell is going on with Pioneer.I'd like to see them make a huge comeback in the TV market as well as the entire line of Elite.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tony M
    edited December 2018
    There will be no need for high end wires either. Or any wires at all probably. :/

Subwoofers...what were they for? they'll ask. :s
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Ten years down the road, all that will be left are soundbars and powered speakers doing streaming audio.

The rest of us will be old-farts clinging to our antique sound systems.

Present tense for me.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Antique?

I’m too poor to be an antique.

I’ll have to settle for old.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    How a bout we call you”vintage”... has a classy-hipster vibe to it, ya dig?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hmm, picking are getting slim. we are now down to four mainstream manufactures

Onkyo/Pioneer
    D&M
    Sony
    Yamaha

Glad we still have a good choice on speakers. I do miss Advent
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I understand it somewhat... take a look at what passes for music these days. A crappy WiFi speaker is good enough for most of it. It took a certain level of talent to create music forty years ago, and a good stereo to reproduce it

Krap in, krap out these days.

Nailed it!

I heard the highlights of this years Grammy nominees the other day. I honestly had not realized how bad music is these days. I could see using it as a very effect method of torture.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    I had a young girl almost spas out when I mentioned her friend shoud listen to our classic rock station for some good music.

She almost yelled out...That's old people music! :s

But I sure still like it! B)
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    I remember my Dad saying that all he could hear when listening to my music was the drums (well, my system at the time wasn't too good :) ). He was brought up on big band music. I sometimes wonder what I would be in to if I were young.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2018
    Never said their failure had anything to do with music.... The auto market is adapting to consumer tastes. They have also forced the aftermarket pretty much out of things through full system integration. Even if they tried to adapt, there was little room for them, unless they did like Bose, Meridian, and several other companies by becoming OE providers.

Pioneer, for whatever reason, chose not to.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2018
    I was speaking to the general decline we have observed in the hobby that is two-channel audio. Most Gen-X'ers and up could care less about spending time with a beer in hand in a dimly lit room while listening to a Hi-Fi rig of any real quality. Rather, they slip on headphones and dive into the latest video game.

Further, a good chunk of the music being produced is actually somebody else's tunes being over-dubbed with new words, and oftentimes, they make no effort to disguise it. I won't even get into the obscene language used... stuff that is OK for them to use as lyrics, but if it were said by anyone of a certain viewpoint, they would be removed from the airwaves, loose their contracts or endorsement deals, be fired and anyone within 7 degrees of separation of them would have their lives destroyed.

Point is, the generation that finds such music appealing doesn't need much to listen to it, and playing it on a rig like many of us have won't help it sound any better.

This also is not meant to imply that all music today is crap, just that finding quality stuff is much harder than it was before the Beastie Boys and 2Live Crew came along.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Oh I’m not sure today’s music is that bad. For example, I love Nicki Minaj. :)

rvd33zssn3dh.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    Your list proves my point. :p;)

• nooshinjohn
    OleBoot wrote: »
    I remember my Dad saying that all he could hear when listening to my music was the drums (well, my system at the time wasn't too good :) ). He was brought up on big band music. I sometimes wonder what I would be in to if I were young.

When I was young, I was into The Beatles. Today, I have a wide range of music and listen to whatever the mood calls for. Classical to Big Band, to Metal and back to an artist that cannot be named for PC reasons... whatever the mood is and sometimes who I am remembering.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited December 2018
    I might agree with John on this one. Not that there isn't good artists today making some great music, with great vocals, and recorded well, they just never seem to get the recognition that main stream artists do.

Why is that ?

Various reasons, people don't appreciate good music as much today as they did yesterday. People listen differently today, on a wider variety of gear too that doesn't particularly benefit well recorded material.

If you go to any audio show, your not going to hear the top 20 off the charts today. Most of that music isn't recorded for the type of gear they are selling. Now if it was a car audio show, then you may hear most of your radio favorites of the day.

It used to be said, that music represents the times we live in. If music today appears to be a convoluted mess to you, then maybe that is just a representation of the times we live in.

Music is suppose to move you, emotionally, and physically at times. It's a reminder of times in your life, good bad and ugly. That's how we make that connection. Our parents related to the music of their times because of the emotional connection, the reminder of things in their life. So when our music of the 60s-80s came along, they had no emotional connection to it. We older folks here, have no emotional connection to todays music. So it's not that todays music is all bad, it just holds no emotional connection for us. This also works in reverse too. People today, have no emotional connection to our music of the past, so it's harder for them to relate to and appreciate.

The music of today, good bad or ugly, will have an emotional connection down the road for those who grew up with it. Somewhere along that journey, they'll learn to appreciate music in the same way we have done and seek out well recorded music of all genres, from all time periods.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I hope, Pioneer comes back with a vengeance. Make some higher end stuff, with a vintage flair to it.

In the other thread about the Hagel Rost, I'm reminded of todays needs for connectivity in an all-in-one product. Pioneer may do well to take notes from Hagel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • There is gobs of fine music being written and produced today. I use NPR during the day as my background and I am always discovering new stuff, good stuff.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    It seems like popular music and the stuff audiophiles* listen to have always (or often) been different things. The AOR/classic rock genre, while popular, did not often make it into the realm of popular music. There wasn't even a Grammy category for rock albums until 1995.

* I hate this term, but can't think of a better one at the moment.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I have an, ehem, emotional connection to some of today's music...
    ariana-grande-sexy-dangerous-woman.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    If I had an emotional connection to that, at my age I would be on my way to jail... 15 will get you 20.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    If I had an emotional connection to that, at my age I would be on my way to jail... 15 will get you 20.

She's an adult at 25 my friend. Ariana Grande. Perfectly legal :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Ariana Who?

Give me a singer that can actually, you know, sing.

MI0004328114.jpg?partner=allrovi.com
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    mrloren wrote: »
    Hmm, picking are getting slim. we are now down to four mainstream manufactures

Onkyo/Pioneer
    D&M
    Sony
    Yamaha

Glad we still have a good choice on speakers. I do miss Advent

You forgot:

Samsung/Harman Int'l
    Technics (Panasonic)

But, in general, you are correct.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Ten years down the road, all that will be left are soundbars and powered speakers doing streaming audio.

omniscient, for sure . . . and I'm very much ok with that!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Tony M

And debating the ol which wires/cables are better than Monster wire. :D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Tony M wrote: »

And debating the ol which wires/cables are better than Monster wire. :D

All of them.... B)
  • nooshinjohn
    If wireless power transmission continues to evolve, Lightman might finally get time to listen to his stash of gear.(in between sessions of chasing his goats around the field whilst wearing those ubiquitous a$$less chaps...)