Northern CA Wildfire

Options
These fires are freaking intense now. The deaths and destruction by the North CA Camp Fire is amazing, and it is only 40% contained on 11/15. The smoke has smothered the SF Bay area, and schools are either canceled, or there is no outdoor recess. Minor annoyance compared to what is happening a few hundred miles away, but still unprecedented. If this is the new normal, and likely to get worse in the future, then we are going to see massive lifestyle changes.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You mean mass exodus from California. Governor Moonbeam was down here today talking about how we need to move away from “building in burn areas”... Last I checked, that was nearly three quarters of the state. We need better management and preparation for such events. Heck man, the money being spent on that damn bullet train to nowhere would pay for a fleet of air tankers, the aircrews to fly them, and a hell of a lot of fire prevention....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Yeah Bud, this is miserable. After a week of this abysmal air quality, I'm starting to freak out a bit when I realize we're in for probably another week or more of this. Today is the first day that I've started to feel health effects from all the smoke in the air.

tqt5fha86gnr.png

The fire has burned 141,000 acres and has destroyed a total of 11,862 buildings, including 9,700 single-family homes. 63 people have lost their lives and the number of people who are missing is currently at 631. This is an absolute catastrophe.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The Woolsey Fire came within 1/2 a mile of my home. The hillsides near me looked more like flowing lava at night than anything else I have seen since I visited Volcanoes National Park. I know several here that have lost everything, including the parents of my best friend. Fires like these are absolutely horrendous. They are made even worse by the lack of will needed to manage the lands properly, and the lack of funds, for which taxes are paid, only to be reallocated for some other cause de' jour. The environmentalists in this state become apoplectic of you threaten a dandelion.

I can't wait to see the cluster that emerges when the state fund that is supposed to cover earthquakes (remember they OWN the insurance market for earthquake coverage) is discovered to be flat broke and can only cover ten cents on the dollar for your loss....
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    I'm glad that the Woolsey Fire didn't get any closer to you. Half a mile is still way too close for comfort.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Some of the images I've seen on TV look apocalyptic. Almost like a scene from a movie that just seems way over the top. So sad.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Yes.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The Woolsey fire started here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory

This place is estimated to be 250 times more contaminated than Three Mile Island and Love Canal... COMBINED!

The fire started at a substation that was set up on the property to distribute power from an experimental Sodium reactor that melted down in the 1950's... that meltdown was uncontained. The fire started within 1000 feet of that meltdown.

The fuel from that reactor, when spent, was disposed of in open burn pits, also on SSFL property. They also test-fired more than 10,000 rocket motors of various types over a span of more than 50 years.

Cleanup and containment activities were to have been completed in 2017, but most of that work was never started, much less completed.

My home sits a few blocks outside the notification zone for having to be notified of this site's potential hazards. I Only began lookin at this site a month ago. My wife and I went on a drive and discovered a public park in the Santa Susana Pass, just outside the gates of the facility, so when I got home, I looked it up and found all this. Can you imagine taking your kid to that friggen park and not knowing what took place on that dirt???

I am scared to find out what was released up there during the burn. The media is not covering this aspect of the story for some reason, and that is worrisome too. We likely will never be told.

Thankfully, the wind was blowing away from where we live the entire time. Though we could see the flames and the smoke, watch the aerial acrobatics of the tankers, and a never ending procession of fire trucks, we never got any ash fallout or smelled the smoke. We were LUCKY!

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Can you imagine taking your kid to that friggen park and not knowing what took place on that dirt???

Back in the 50's McDonnell Douglas had some unused property across from their plants on Brown Road. They had no use for the property so they donated it to the local community to use for youth baseball fields. Worked out quite well up until the late 60's when it came to light that the land had been used for disposal of radioactive waste.
    And so it goes.

Sal Palooza
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Our mailman had just recently told us he was moving to Paradise California and his last day was supposed to be this week, so one day they got everything together, next day they closed on the house, the very next day came the fire and it burned down... Crazy freaking story..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Our mailman had just recently told us he was moving to Paradise California and his last day was supposed to be this week, so one day they got everything together, next day they closed on the house, the very next day came the fire and it burned down... Crazy freaking story..

That's just nuts
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,519
    Options
    Thanks for posting this info. I'm not getting this feet on the ground POV. This is horrific. The first question is what can be done. The second question is what can
    I do to help?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It's just a shame, you really can't do much about it. The topography of California and the way the wind blows is a fire's best friend. Plus their weather patter seems to cycle between extremes, drought or heavy rain. With all the hills, and the forestation that the fire destroyed, when the rain comes it will now be mudslides to worry about. That's in-between the earthquakes too.

In my opinion, they have to manage their forestation better, and have the equipment for faster responses. The response to a fire has to be the same as a cop calling in "officer down". If you can find money for people to pick up p oop , find the money for better forest management and firefighters. Like John said, which is more important, a bullet train or saving lives. Obviously a bullet train.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    When you say properly maintain them....that means? Also, many of these fires I believe are caused by humans...some intentionally. Cutting down more trees will lead to other issues. There has to be a technology based solution to stopping a fire before it gets out of control. Just my .02
  • tonyb
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    57% of California's forests are owned by the Federal government. Who should properly maintain them?

Which environmentalists prevents that from happening ? …..and the other 43% ?

Federal government also has jurisdiction to set and enforce immigration policy. How's that working out in California ? You can't pick and choose the laws or policy a state wants to obey/comply with. Apparently in California, you can though.

I'll go back to my original statement, California's topography and winds, weather, make it a prime area for forest fires. Has to be a priority for those that live in that state.

I see it as having 3 choices. Make the governing bodies treat it as a priority with your votes, live with it, or move. Unless there is another option I'm not aware of, that's pretty much the crux of the matter.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    I just want to lounge around the see-ment pond with Elly May.
  • charley95
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    57% of California's forests are owned by the Federal government. Who should properly maintain them?

Which environmentalists prevents that from happening ? …..and the other 43% ?

Federal government also has jurisdiction to set and enforce immigration policy. How's that working out in California ? You can't pick and choose the laws or policy a state wants to obey/comply with. Apparently in California, you can though.

I'll go back to my original statement, California's topography and winds, weather, make it a prime area for forest fires. Has to be a priority for those that live in that state.

I see it as having 3 choices. Make the governing bodies treat it as a priority with your votes, live with it, or move. Unless there is another option I'm not aware of, that's pretty much the crux of the matter.

Well said!
  • tonyb
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Btw....feds own something like 45.8% out in Cali. Here's a map too. If you notice, the fires are not even on federal land. Paradise is just on the cusp of it with federal lands to the east. Chico, is west of Paradise. Same thing with the fires in Malibu, roughly. That said, does one seriously think, government.....state or Federal, is going to manage forests very well ? Especially given the size and scope we have all over the country ? They can't run a post office or DMV for Pete's sake. Fires need to be addressed on the state level, just like Hurricanes are addressed in Florida. Make it a priority out there.

thdnnddhzzl8.png
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    I looked on Google maps for a satellite view of Paradise, CA. Turns out there is no man-made or natural separation between forest and town there and once a pine forest catches fire it isn't stopped easily if at all. I remember seeing a small one when I was a kid in the Black Hills and that left a lasting impression. People have to be aware of the risks in their environment and attempt to control it or run away from danger when necessary, just like those on the Gulf Coast need to be aware that hurricanes will eventually affect them and that people who live on the flood plains of rivers may not be protected by levees all the time. Mother nature always wins.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2018
    Options

How about the state, which gets money back from the Fed for that purpose. How about the utility companies, that place their equipment on those lands... oh wait, the government and environmentalists interfere with the utility companies doing anything on public lands without first complying with decades worth of red tape to ensure a gnat’s habitat isn’t harmed...

Better yet, how about private ownership of that land in the first place, and allowing those owners to cull trees that pose a risk of becoming fuel for wildfires and selling them for profit, while maintaining the healthy trees.

The only land the Feds should own are the buildings it occupies... military bases in each state should be owned by the state and leased to the Military.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    The only way to keep forest from burning, is to let them burn. The very problem is the cure.

Period.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Mother nature always wins.

Indeed she does. Just my opinion, but fires need to be attacked on a bigger scale, and quickly, especially out in Cali. That takes resources and money. The money is there, the priority isn't. Spent on a host of other touchy feely things. That money spent fighting fires won't buy votes, which is why it isn't a priority.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    @tonyb on a roll, you saw it here first! There should be a "Bravo" button to click, somehow Like and Agree just don't say it...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,519
    Options
    "run away from danger when necessary"
    Well, that is was what I was thinking about this morning.
    No one should burn up. We should start a Polk railroad to
    put up disenfranchised Polkies, friends and family.

I don't know HOW to do it, but if need be it should be done.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    The only way to keep forest from burning, is to let them burn. The very problem is the cure.

Period.

Agreed. In 1995 we had the Pine Barrens fire,
    which of course pales in comparison to the Cali wildfires but still destroyed a fair amount of acreage. What this story doesn't say is that these pine trees only release the seeds from their cones during fires. It is part of the natural order, and did have its purpose.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Another thing that gets me is the saying “we need to learn to live with nature”... which is taken to mean that we must allow nature to have the advantage and adapt ourselves to it’s will.

Mankind has thrived for 100,000 years by doing exactly the opposite, by molding the world around us to our benefit. I am not saying we should not care about the planet, or that we should not protect our environment. What I am saying is that in order to live harmoniously with it, we must take control of our environment when human life and livelihood intersect. That means areas like Paradise, CA should have been better fortified against the threat of fire by thinning out undergrowth and dead trees well before they had a chance to burn.

Perhaps the power grid, which appears to be a cause for the Camp and Woolsey Fires should be underground in areas at risk of fires. This alone may have been enough to prevent some of these fires. It my understanding that most of the recent major fire have been the result of above ground power equipment failures.

• pitdogg2
    Options

Period.

There's a lot of truth to that. Many of the tree's out there need fire for their seeds to germinate. The bark is very think to withstand most fires and the branches begin very high in the tree.
    The problem begins with the fuel that doesn't get to be consumed by smaller fire that is not a danger to the forest. Yet for years this fuel has been allowed to build up and now the fires are far too intense and devastate everything.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Another thing that gets me is the saying “we need to learn to live with nature”... which is taken to mean that we must allow nature to have the advantage and adapt ourselves to it’s will.

Mankind has thrived for 100,000 years by doing exactly the opposite, by molding the world around us to our benefit. I am not saying we should not care about the planet, or that we should not protect our environment. What I am saying is that in order to live harmoniously with it, we must take control of our environment when human life and livelihood intersect. That means areas like Paradise, CA should have been better fortified against the threat of fire by thinning out undergrowth and dead trees well before they had a chance to burn.

Perhaps the power grid, which appears to be a cause for the Camp and Woolsey Fires should be underground in areas at risk of fires. This alone may have been enough to prevent some of these fires. It my understanding that most of the recent major fire have been the result of above ground power equipment failures.

You can't put transmission lines underground.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options

I had a 1971 Buick Skylark and the transmission lines dragged on the ground.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ^^you are FOS :D

• pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    Options

That would be shocking. The heat build up would be incredible.