Is there a way to build-in LSiM over a fireplace?

T-R
T-R Posts: 5
Just would like to hear suggestions and perhaps someone has already done that.
I have a 5.1 system consisting of LSi9/M/FX. Recently moved to a new house and would like to hang a TV over a fireplace. At the moment it's all brick but I don't like it so it will be "re-skinned" anyway so I'm curious if anyone has ever set up LSiM over a fireplace.
Thanks!

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    If you have a shelf, it'll be perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't get too hot there.
    If you're asking about building it into the wall... I wouldn't.
    Welcome to Club Polk!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Short answer is...no. You really don't want them up that high anyway, unless you want to install wall brackets and angle them down. That also includes having to run wires up the inner walls.

Maybe pop up a pic, says more so we can see what you have to work with.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    I absolutely despise the TV over the fireplace trend. Looks cool, but is the worst place for it.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Well it depends on the height of the fireplace. If it’s low and gas, then you might be able to mount the center more or less ear height and tv not too high. But I agree with Dave that if the tv has to be well above eye height, then it’s not very visually appealing or easy to see without a crick in ur neck. And yes, tony is right that wires are also an issue, but if your already running wires for a tv then it might not be a big issue...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    Me, I don't like the TV over the fireplace either, give a sore neck.

LSIM are rear ported so they need room to breath. Putting one on a shelf won't give enough room. They are also heavy, so the shelf would require good mounting which might be an eyesore.

With that said it can be done, you might not like it and be stuck with it.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    With the power port mounting against the wall should be okay. But yes it needs to be angled at the seated ear level....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,665
    TV's do not belong over the fireplace.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »
    TV's do not belong over the fireplace.

Agreed....especially a wood burning one. Too high for me also, but some simply like the look rather than functionality. I'd rather be comfortable watching TV, than worrying about aesthetics....or if it looks like that magazine ad.

Then of course is the problem of retro fitting a HT system, with all it's wires, speakers, and a center channel that never fits on a mantel. All the electronics too.

Your best bet, if you want a TV over the fireplace, in my opinion, is to go in-ceiling speakers, or in-walls. Maybe even on-wall speakers, which they make some darn good ones these days but not very cheap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    I guess the trend started because a lot of fireplaces would traditionally have a mirror on the wall above them. And ladies could agree to replacing the mirror with a flat screen because it would not affect furniture placement elsewhere in the room. Also, the fireplace is usually the focal point in a room and placing a tv elsewhere is awkward.

If a flat screen above a fireplace is the only room option, a soundbar would be a better choice to get improved sound.
  • mlistens03
    edited October 2018
    Or, if he sits on axis while he watches TV, couldn't he use a "phantom center" by switching the center off in the menus?
    We have friends who have their TV over their fireplace, and it actually looks nice, until you have to watch it.
    In Florida, however, fireplaces are for the looks... no one ever actually uses them, AFAIK.
    :)
  • T-R
    T-R Posts: 5
    edited October 2018
    Thanks guys for all the feedback,
    I was reading somewhere that 15 degree angle relative to your eyes is OK. That's about the case with my room. The room is huge and the wood burning fireplace in smack in the middle of the long-side wall. Putting it in a corner is not an option because it screws up the entire furniture layout. IMO if done properly (like, Samsung FrameTV with "modern" finish walls), it can look really nice. I can certainly angle it.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done something like this so I can see it. I think it will look out of place if it's just the speaker so probably need to run a shelf the entire length of the fireplace and fill it with some sort of decorations to blend the speaker in.

Wiring is also not a problem at all because I'd like to cover up the bricks so running wires is trivial.

I really don't want to sell my speakers and get something else. I really like them and of course I don't want to spend more $$. Plus, it's a cathedral ceiling so it's not that simple.
    Yes, I know that they may not fill the room but it's certainly better than nothing (what I have now).

I will post pictures this weekend.
  • tonyb
    I can tell you from experience, with a wood burning fireplace and a TV over it, or even next to it....your TV will be toast inside 2 years from the ash. I moved my TV to the opposite side of the room and still got ash inside. Winter time, my fireplace is going probably 5 days out of the week.

That's if you use it , if you never use the fireplace then rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2018
    I have a CS400i from the old house that was sitting on the mantel over the fireplace. Plasma TV was wall mounted above it. After a short period of time, the fireplace heat caused the vinyl to shrink and de-laminate from the front face of the cabinet. Now it's a project waiting to be fixed. Lessons learned.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    The horror stories on mounting a TV over the fireplace.

My bro lived in Seattle for a few years, Best place for the TV was over the gas fireplace. So he had pro's come and install everything with a nice in wall center speaker. Took two week and the center speaker melted. The installer replaced it and put a box around it. by spring the TV was done... He wound up moving the TV and everything to the opposite wall. In his new house they offered pre wiring for the fireplace mounted TV... Nope not again.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    verb wrote: »
    I have a CS400i from the old house that was sitting on the mantel over the fireplace. Plasma TV was wall mounted above it. After a short period of time, the fireplace heat caused the vinyl to shrink and de-laminate from the front face of the cabinet. Now it's a project waiting to be fixed. Lessons learned.

Easy fix. Strip that vinyl off (it’ll peel right off) and then take the bezel and speakers out and spray paint the front black (I just did the whole box). Whole thing took me about 30 minutes maybe...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • verb
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Easy fix. Strip that vinyl off (it’ll peel right off) and then take the bezel and speakers out and spray paint the front black (I just did the whole box). Whole thing took me about 30 minutes maybe...

Black paint? The hell you say...

Where can I get black paint? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03

Black paint? The hell you say...

Where can I get black paint? :smile:

It’s for the wood. :)
  • rooftop59
    I can hook you up for a price!!!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    I can hook you up for a price!!!

Pimp....
  • rooftop59
    I gots to pay for college for the kiddos somehow. At least I’m just selling paint!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I gots to pay for college for the kiddos somehow. At least I’m just selling paint!

You are selling snake oil. Everybody knows black paint no longer exists.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I absolutely despise the TV over the fireplace trend. Looks cool, but is the worst place for it.

Doesn't even look cool. Looks like k r a p, and is too high for decent viewing. Or even any type of viewing.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Speaking of too high where ya been Bud? :wink:
  • tonyb
    BlueFox wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

Doesn't even look cool. Looks like k r a p, and is too high for decent viewing. Or even any type of viewing.

Unless your in a bar. Who wants that kind of viewing at home though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    Did you schmucks actually read his description of the room? Sometimes you just got to do the best with what you got. We've been casually perusing houses, and there are a number where mounting the TV above the fireplace is really the only viable option in the main living room. It't not ideal, but if its not too high and you can angle it as he says, its not the worst. If its super high, I would really try to figure something else out.

I will agree with others that if its a wood burning fireplace and the OP plans to use it regularly, then that will likely ruin the TV and/or speaker...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • verb
    My plasma that was mounted above the fireplace had a mount with an adjustable up/down angle. I was able to rotate it down enough so the viewing angle was good.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Did you schmucks actually read his description of the room? Sometimes you just got to do the best with what you got. We've been casually perusing houses, and there are a number where mounting the TV above the fireplace is really the only viable option in the main living room. It't not ideal, but if its not too high and you can angle it as he says, its not the worst. If its super high, I would really try to figure something else out.

I will agree with others that if its a wood burning fireplace and the OP plans to use it regularly, then that will likely ruin the TV and/or speaker...

I've said this before. I don't like it myself, but I get that sometimes it's the only real option with a lot of floor plans. It's best in large, open floor plans, which are great, but often eliminate walls that would be better options, if they existed... A high mount is more acceptable at a greater viewing distance.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    VR3 wrote: »
    Monoprice Above Fireplace Pull-Down Full-Motion Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket For TVs 55in to 100in, Max Weight 154lbs, VESA Patterns Up to 800x400, Rotating , Height Adjustable

These things are ridiculous. Seems like a good idea, but not very practical, unless you watch a lot of TV and keep them down - where they look awful and possibly pose a hazard.

Also, a 100" TV on this thing? No freaking way!