Is there a way to build-in LSiM over a fireplace?

T-RT-R Registered UserPosts: 5
Just would like to hear suggestions and perhaps someone has already done that.
I have a 5.1 system consisting of LSi9/M/FX. Recently moved to a new house and would like to hang a TV over a fireplace. At the moment it's all brick but I don't like it so it will be "re-skinned" anyway so I'm curious if anyone has ever set up LSiM over a fireplace.
Thanks!

Comments

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,322
    If you have a shelf, it'll be perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't get too hot there.
    If you're asking about building it into the wall... I wouldn't.
    Welcome to Club Polk!
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,156
    Short answer is...no. You really don't want them up that high anyway, unless you want to install wall brackets and angle them down. That also includes having to run wires up the inner walls.

Maybe pop up a pic, says more so we can see what you have to work with.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,019
    I absolutely despise the TV over the fireplace trend. Looks cool, but is the worst place for it.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,740
    Well it depends on the height of the fireplace. If it’s low and gas, then you might be able to mount the center more or less ear height and tv not too high. But I agree with Dave that if the tv has to be well above eye height, then it’s not very visually appealing or easy to see without a crick in ur neck. And yes, tony is right that wires are also an issue, but if your already running wires for a tv then it might not be a big issue...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,578
    Me, I don't like the TV over the fireplace either, give a sore neck.

LSIM are rear ported so they need room to breath. Putting one on a shelf won't give enough room. They are also heavy, so the shelf would require good mounting which might be an eyesore.

With that said it can be done, you might not like it and be stuck with it.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    With the power port mounting against the wall should be okay. But yes it needs to be angled at the seated ear level....
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,607
    TV's do not belong over the fireplace.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

F1nut wrote: »
    TV's do not belong over the fireplace.

Agreed....especially a wood burning one. Too high for me also, but some simply like the look rather than functionality. I'd rather be comfortable watching TV, than worrying about aesthetics....or if it looks like that magazine ad.

Then of course is the problem of retro fitting a HT system, with all it's wires, speakers, and a center channel that never fits on a mantel. All the electronics too.

Your best bet, if you want a TV over the fireplace, in my opinion, is to go in-ceiling speakers, or in-walls. Maybe even on-wall speakers, which they make some darn good ones these days but not very cheap.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,163
    I guess the trend started because a lot of fireplaces would traditionally have a mirror on the wall above them. And ladies could agree to replacing the mirror with a flat screen because it would not affect furniture placement elsewhere in the room. Also, the fireplace is usually the focal point in a room and placing a tv elsewhere is awkward.

If a flat screen above a fireplace is the only room option, a soundbar would be a better choice to get improved sound.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    edited October 11
    Or, if he sits on axis while he watches TV, couldn't he use a "phantom center" by switching the center off in the menus?
    We have friends who have their TV over their fireplace, and it actually looks nice, until you have to watch it.
    In Florida, however, fireplaces are for the looks... no one ever actually uses them, AFAIK.
    :)
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • T-RT-R Registered User Posts: 5
    edited October 11
    Thanks guys for all the feedback,
    I was reading somewhere that 15 degree angle relative to your eyes is OK. That's about the case with my room. The room is huge and the wood burning fireplace in smack in the middle of the long-side wall. Putting it in a corner is not an option because it screws up the entire furniture layout. IMO if done properly (like, Samsung FrameTV with "modern" finish walls), it can look really nice. I can certainly angle it.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done something like this so I can see it. I think it will look out of place if it's just the speaker so probably need to run a shelf the entire length of the fireplace and fill it with some sort of decorations to blend the speaker in.

Wiring is also not a problem at all because I'd like to cover up the bricks so running wires is trivial.

I really don't want to sell my speakers and get something else. I really like them and of course I don't want to spend more $$. Plus, it's a cathedral ceiling so it's not that simple.
    Yes, I know that they may not fill the room but it's certainly better than nothing (what I have now).

I will post pictures this weekend.
    I can tell you from experience, with a wood burning fireplace and a TV over it, or even next to it....your TV will be toast inside 2 years from the ash. I moved my TV to the opposite side of the room and still got ash inside. Winter time, my fireplace is going probably 5 days out of the week.

That's if you use it , if you never use the fireplace then rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • verbverb Posts: 3,982
    edited October 11
    I have a CS400i from the old house that was sitting on the mantel over the fireplace. Plasma TV was wall mounted above it. After a short period of time, the fireplace heat caused the vinyl to shrink and de-laminate from the front face of the cabinet. Now it's a project waiting to be fixed. Lessons learned.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,578
    The horror stories on mounting a TV over the fireplace.

My bro lived in Seattle for a few years, Best place for the TV was over the gas fireplace. So he had pro's come and install everything with a nice in wall center speaker. Took two week and the center speaker melted. The installer replaced it and put a box around it. by spring the TV was done... He wound up moving the TV and everything to the opposite wall. In his new house they offered pre wiring for the fireplace mounted TV... Nope not again.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk T15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    verb wrote: »
    I have a CS400i from the old house that was sitting on the mantel over the fireplace. Plasma TV was wall mounted above it. After a short period of time, the fireplace heat caused the vinyl to shrink and de-laminate from the front face of the cabinet. Now it's a project waiting to be fixed. Lessons learned.

Easy fix. Strip that vinyl off (it’ll peel right off) and then take the bezel and speakers out and spray paint the front black (I just did the whole box). Whole thing took me about 30 minutes maybe...
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Easy fix. Strip that vinyl off (it’ll peel right off) and then take the bezel and speakers out and spray paint the front black (I just did the whole box). Whole thing took me about 30 minutes maybe...

Black paint? The hell you say...

Where can I get black paint? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer

Black paint? The hell you say...

Where can I get black paint? :smile:

It’s for the wood. :)
    Micah

I can hook you up for a price!!!
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,230
    I can hook you up for a price!!!

Pimp....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    I gots to pay for college for the kiddos somehow. At least I’m just selling paint!
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,542
    I gots to pay for college for the kiddos somehow. At least I’m just selling paint!

You are selling snake oil. Everybody knows black paint no longer exists.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,234
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I absolutely despise the TV over the fireplace trend. Looks cool, but is the worst place for it.

Doesn't even look cool. Looks like k r a p, and is too high for decent viewing. Or even any type of viewing.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,448
    Speaking of too high where ya been Bud? :wink:
    BlueFox wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

Doesn't even look cool. Looks like k r a p, and is too high for decent viewing. Or even any type of viewing.

Unless your in a bar. Who wants that kind of viewing at home though.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Did you schmucks actually read his description of the room? Sometimes you just got to do the best with what you got. We've been casually perusing houses, and there are a number where mounting the TV above the fireplace is really the only viable option in the main living room. It't not ideal, but if its not too high and you can angle it as he says, its not the worst. If its super high, I would really try to figure something else out.

I will agree with others that if its a wood burning fireplace and the OP plans to use it regularly, then that will likely ruin the TV and/or speaker...
    HT Rig:

Master Bedroom
    My plasma that was mounted above the fireplace had a mount with an adjustable up/down angle. I was able to rotate it down enough so the viewing angle was good.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,777
    Did you schmucks actually read his description of the room? Sometimes you just got to do the best with what you got. We've been casually perusing houses, and there are a number where mounting the TV above the fireplace is really the only viable option in the main living room. It't not ideal, but if its not too high and you can angle it as he says, its not the worst. If its super high, I would really try to figure something else out.

I will agree with others that if its a wood burning fireplace and the OP plans to use it regularly, then that will likely ruin the TV and/or speaker...

I've said this before. I don't like it myself, but I get that sometimes it's the only real option with a lot of floor plans. It's best in large, open floor plans, which are great, but often eliminate walls that would be better options, if they existed... A high mount is more acceptable at a greater viewing distance.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,777
    VR3 wrote: »
    Monoprice Above Fireplace Pull-Down Full-Motion Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket For TVs 55in to 100in, Max Weight 154lbs, VESA Patterns Up to 800x400, Rotating , Height Adjustable

These things are ridiculous. Seems like a good idea, but not very practical, unless you watch a lot of TV and keep them down - where they look awful and possibly pose a hazard.

Also, a 100" TV on this thing? No freaking way!
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic