Is there a way to build-in LSiM over a fireplace?

2»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Get a Monoprice amp and you won't need a fireplace.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Best suggestion yet. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • T-R
    T-R Posts: 5
    Here's the room as it is today: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3XfFsU7Xipghzt5s5
    Will do full renovation some time next spring/summer and this is when I want to re-finish the brick wall with something else and build some kind of space on the side for the firewood. This is just preliminary _ideas_ on placement, not design itself: https://www.homedit.com/cool-firewood-storage-design

As you can see, I don't have much options. TV in this deep corner looks stupid and out of place. I don't know how much I can change the existing fireplace... maybe possible to lower the deck, we'll see.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited October 2018
    Ouch I'm already getting neck cramps from looking at the pictures of where you want to mount it dont do it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • T-R
    edited October 2018
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Ouch I'm already getting neck cramps from looking at the pictures of where you want to mount it dont do it.

I took some rough measurements and I don't think it's an issue:
    • Distance between seating position (head) and fireplace wall = 489cm (16ft)
    • Distance between eye level and what would be TV center = 103cm
    • This calculates to about 12 degree angle

Assuming:
    • 1 foot margin for mantel above the fireplace
    • Like 3 inches for mantel itself
    • Center speaker angled down actually above the TV

Tried sitting down and looking at TV area (center would be about where the shelf is right now) and in the sitting position it's actually quiet comfortable. I mean, I don't sit straight up... I sit in a comfy couch with my head resting in position actually pointing up about the same angle.

So would it be ok to have LSiM over the TV? Anyone has ever done this before?
    Thanks

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    This was in a house I showed the other day. I got a neck ache just looking it it...

o184kau15jy0.jpg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    This was in a house I showed the other day. I got a neck ache just looking it it...

o184kau15jy0.jpg

In that house it doesn’t make any sense: just remove the sconce and mount the tv on that wall. Or am I missing something?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    rooftop59 wrote: »

o184kau15jy0.jpg

In that house it doesn’t make any sense: just remove the sconce and mount the tv on that wall. Or am I missing something?

Agreed. At the very least angle the TV down a bit...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    looks like a nice house though. Did ya sell it?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    ouch, I got a crick in my neck just looking at that.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,053
    I wanted to get my speakers in our family room on the long wall, but that's the one with the fireplace on it. My solution was to put the TV on a low shelf on the hearth in front of the fireplace, as we haven't used it for 20 years. She Who Must Be Obeyed said no. The speakers and TV are still on the short wall. Story of my life.
  • T-R

o184kau15jy0.jpg

Yea that is actually the ideal layout - fireplace in the corner and TV in the center. No idea why they forced TV over the fireplace.