Turntables, records, mats and static

Now that I've jumped back into the dark side I've rediscovered that nasty little thing called static. I bought the anti-static record brush, the Zerostat gun, the anti-static inner sleeves and a few "anti-static" record mats. None of it got rid of the static completely. Granted a few of the mats wouldn't work with my table and clamp, so they may have solved the static issue, but I needed a solution for me. The one mat that worked with my clamp is 1mm thick very fine cork, but it would often stick to the record as I lifted it off. This cork mat is the standard brown color, which I didn't like the look of. I tried to find a thin black cork mat, but they don't seem to exist. Taking matters in hand not knowing the outcome I used a black dye I have in my shop. It is black beyond black, I mean it is BLACK! I wiped it on and let the mat dry for a few days. However, the thing with this dye is it's meant to be mixed with a clear coat or at least top coated, so after it dried it wasn't as black as I wanted. While I pondered that dilemma I put it back on the table. Of course, the static issue continued to raise its ugly head. Not happy with the blackness I decided to take a risk and lightly misted a few coats of clear lacquer on the mat. Dang, it was truly BLACK now, but I was concerned about any possible problem arising from the vinyl sitting on a lightly lacquered surface, so I used a record I didn't care about, played both sides and inspected it under strong light. No issues, fantastic. I also noted that the mat didn't stick to the record, at all. Feeling confident I played a few more records, absolutely no static issues....none. Solving those two issues made me a very happy man.

Hopefully, this little story might help someone solve their static issue.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Got a product list, Jesse? Are you using Larry's VDG? What's your ambient humidity in that room? Have you tried an ionizer? An inquiring derp wants to know... :)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Gonna send my cork mat to you for finishing...address pls.
  • Pictures please!!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Move to the SC Lowcountry. The humidity makes static impossible but your records may mold. >:)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Thick heavy rubber mat and washed record kills the static for me
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I can't use a thick mat made of any material.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Got a product list, Jesse? Are you using Larry's VDG? What's your ambient humidity in that room? Have you tried an ionizer? An inquiring derp wants to know... :)

The lacquer? I used a rattle can of professional touch up lacquer. No, Joe's Clamp, which Larry copied will not work on my table. I'm using the deluxe VPI clamp. Fully air conditioned house, so low humidity. No.

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s still one of my top 5 TT’s
    Beautiful
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Put an ionizer in the room, that will help as well. Grab a hygrometer, your HVAC may be pulling too much humidity out of the air... Should sit between 45 and 55%

This is forgoing the solution you already have in play.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    That’s an awesome table Jesse. Can’t believe you posted a picture. :)

I’m running a VPI Prime with the stock rubber mat. I also use a zerostat. Sometimes I just can’t control the static. Other times its not a big deal. Doesn’t matter what season or if I’m running AC or heat.

I have not checked the humidity in the room but I think I will get a meter and start to see where it is.

Good luck with the rig.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Gorgeous table you have there Jesse!

Living in St. Louis now, there is no shortage of humidity. lol. I still get static. Some records were very poorly cared for over their lifetime and, even though I cleaned them thoroughly, they still pop & tick aplenty. Other records that I have are very quiet with no issues.

I'm glad you have a methodology in place that is killing the static. Enjoy!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • It is quite a mind manipulating time in the world to realize we are discussing “Jesse’s” turntable but that thought aside.... Jesse if you decide to look for another mat in case the beautifully refinished cork one in black dye with lacquer does not work long term the “Origin Live” mat is very thin, black, and works very well. There are reviews on line and I may know of one available.
    Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • F1nut
    Thanks, I had that one in mind just in case my idea didn't work out. The one thing that bugged me is they will not say what it's made from.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Thanks, I had that one in mind just in case my idea didn't work out. The one thing that bugged me is they will not say what it's made from.

I had the same apprehension when they were first offered but since I was using an Origin Live table I ordered one. My upgraded Origin Live table came with its own so I do have an extra. Possibly a chopped “rubber/soft vinyl” type compound and it is difficult to cut perfectly round (just an FYI). Very thin. If you want to try it I will send it to you for a test spin. I do like how it works on my table.
    Rick
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    I use the mapleshade static brush works well for me. It has a ground plug you put into the ground socket on your outlet and the bristles are made out of very thin fine metal.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Very fine metal on vinyl? Don't sound right to me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Yeah, sounds like an easy way to scratch rekkids... however, I thought that carbon fiber would scratch then too... although, judging by the fact I have one, it’s not true.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    I remember getting back into vinyl a couple years back with a Rega RP3. The stock RP3 glass platter and wool mat generated insane amounts of static. I found that a Delrin platter, a carbon fiber brush, anti-static sleeves, a humidifier for winter months, a good washing, and time greatly reduced my static issues. Time in the sense that some records that had static issues improved after sitting in an anti-static sleeve for a long period of time. The biggest static reduction was the Delrin platter (no mat). I can't say that I have had much static issues since I implemented the changes mentioned. And yes, even though I love my Wyred 4 Sound DAC, my lower cost Groovetracer modded RP3 with ClearAudio Artist cartridge just sounds so good.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Glad you got it resolved, and btw nice-looking deck! A friend of mine has a Scout, and his cat decided to chew on the exposed tonearm wires. I was able to solder them back together for him...definitely a delicate job.

I agree it was a risk using the lacquer on your mat, but I'm glad it turned-out ok for you.

I have a couple of mats from Hudson Hi-Fi that are a combination of rubber and cork https://www.hudsonhifi.com/products/corkery-cork-n-rubber-turntable-platter-mat-audiophile-anti-static-slipmat-made-in-usa They have a couple of different thicknesses available. They have mats made of other materials as well, including leather.

Since vinyl itself is a good medium for static buildup, the new, thicker 180+g pressings are more susceptible than older, thinner pressings. Thicker, better vinyl means potential for more static. I've noticed this first-hand.

A cleaning solution that includes a quat like Hepastat256 is helpful in reducing/eliminating static. Vinyl carries a negative charge, and quats have a positive charge, which neutralizes the overall charge (i.e., it won't attract dust, etc.).
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2018
    I've had good no static results with my Boston Audio Mat 1. It's a Carbon Graphite mat. I also Carbon Fiber brush before play. Our HVAC has a humidifier that we use in winter so no issues in heating season.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I've added quats to my cleaning fluid using ultrasonic tub and have noticed an improvement. It's not Hepastat and I was concerned that a residue might be left behind but so far so good.

How does a mat add or remove static? I can see that it might minimize static on the side that rests on the mat but I'm lost on how placing a properly cleaned record on a mat has any effect on the initial playing side.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    muncybob wrote: »
    How does a mat add or remove static? I can see that it might minimize static on the side that rests on the mat but I'm lost on how placing a properly cleaned record on a mat has any effect on the initial playing side.

...the ankle bone's connected to the shin bone.
    the shin bone's connected to the knee bone...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2018
    muncybob wrote: »
    I've added quats to my cleaning fluid using ultrasonic tub and have noticed an improvement. It's not Hepastat and I was concerned that a residue might be left behind but so far so good.

Graphite is a good conductor of heat and electricity. It is a pricey mat though, $250 now. Folks that have been here have mentioned they don't hear tics or static pops while I play vinyl.

From the web....

"Graphite is a good conductor of heat and electricity. ... The reason graphite is a good conductor of electricity is because of the presence of delocalised electrons, as each carbon atom forms only three covalent bonds with three other carbon atoms."

http://www.boston-audio.com/mat1.html

There were Dustbugs sold with ground wires. You would moisten the 'bug' with distilled water and it was claimed to drain static from the record.

I stil have my Dustbug but it is the non-grounding wire type. It was still claimed to help reduce static as well as grabbing dust while playing. I cut part of the rear of arm off to fit a different turntable.

d0gzm45lznvj.jpg

yszjma8bxpfa.jpg

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    F1nut listening to Lp’s ?? I’m flabbergasted :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • F1nut
    pumpkinman posting something other than what you've listened to is even more flabbergasting.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    F1nut wrote: »
    pumpkinman posting something other than what you've listened to is even more flabbergasting.

Come on man he is out of the ditch, don't go and push him back in...
    LOL