Laid off

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Any update Clip?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    So, I wasn't factoring in a higher tax percentage being applied, due to the money being cut in a larger lump sum. So, it would realistically probably be closer to $3-4k vs. $5k.

Anyway, thanks everyone for weighing in with some opinions and options.

Another suggestion made to me was to not sign a new agreement, and stay on until September 15th as currently planned. Informing them that if they still would like my professional services, they can hire me on as a contractor for $XX/hour after September 15th.
  • And here I thought you were just going to move on and burn all your bridges.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Clipdat
    There's some uncertainty that I can "quit" and still receive a severance. It's a gray area, as nothing indicating that is in writing, only verbal.
    Don’t step off the dock until the boat’s there.
    Use this time to actively search for something else while you still have a job. Once you find it, then quit.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited August 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    There's some uncertainty that I can "quit" and still receive a severance. It's a gray area, as nothing indicating that is in writing, only verbal.
    Don’t step off the dock until the boat’s there.
    Use this time to actively search for something else while you still have a job. Once you find it, then quit.

If it's not in writing it's worthless. I don't like playing games, so I'd just find a new job & move on.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2018
    The one contrarian comment I'd offer on this situation is the old bromide:
    It is always easier to find a new job when one is employed.
    (or words to that effect :) )

This is something to keep in mind, I'd opine, strategically when considering the job hunt strategy going forward.

Oh, I will echo that any "offer" not in writing is, unfortunately, 100% worthless. :( Is it an organization that has given you (the OP) good reason to trust them? Only the OP can make that decision, of course.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    If you quit, unemployment benefits are a lot harder to get.

Getting fired or laid off, the process starts immediately.

Your getting a paycheck now with a friken bonus check on top of that. yea, look for another job with your current boss if that works out, but maybe this company your working for is weeding out people who don't want to work there.

They just offered to keep you on longer so they value YOU!

Think about it, but not too long or the opportunity might vanish. More paychecks! ;)

Sure, look for another job but there's always unemployment checks. A lot of people transition between jobs getting U.B. for a period. You've paid into the system and your employer has paid into the system. If you need to file, file. Keep looking and maybe, all this will be for nothing and they'll keep you on with a higher pay in November! :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just realized I forgot to reply to this. I'm in the IT field, located in California.
    Sorry to hear bud, may I ask what you did or have experience in? Do you happen to be in Texas or Arizona? My company is hiring like crazy, we have a great work environment and growing year after year. We are in the Online Education field so lots of different positions open.

Dang, we have a position open in California but it isn't for Technology!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2018
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Clipdat....that's stress nobody wants for sure.

My best friend has been working for his company for about 15 years, they said they were laying off about 60% of their workforce. He said he was going to need to look for another job but when the hammer came down, it was him and a few of his workers that made the cut, so needless to say he was relieved.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully when all the smoke clears, that you are still employed there if that's what you want. But I agree, don't open the door if you haven't been asked to leave.

Finger crossed for you.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    So, I wasn't factoring in a higher tax percentage being applied, due to the money being cut in a larger lump sum. So, it would realistically probably be closer to $3-4k vs. $5k.
    But that’s just withholding; your refund for 2018 will be larger is all, or your final payment to the KGB, I mean IRS, will be less. So don’t sweat the tax part. I’d concentrate more on finding a new job AND showing the new owners why they need to keep you on. Two companies vying for your services makes your price increase.

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Steve Miller asked me t pass along some wise advice...

https://youtu.be/F0rhPn76VDw
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    The higher ups called me into a meeting at 4:30pm today, (seriously who schedules a meeting at 4:30pm?) and told me that they now want me to stay on until November 30th. With the same "extra week's pay for every two weeks worked" deal that I'm currently doing.

I told them I'd get back to them.

What the hell? From the short discussion I had with them after this offer, it's abundantly clear that they have no transition plan in place and are completely flailing and flopping around like a fish out of water in terms of how they're going to accomplish the transition.

Do I really want to stay on to hold their hand and spoon feed them for 5.5 weeks worth (September 15th to November 30th is 11 weeks) of extra pay? My gut says it's not worth the money.

Stay and get as much as you can. More time for the job search and not having to jump on an offer because your not working.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Aaaand more money for audio gear. B)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Awesome! Good luck!!
  • Clipdat
  • Clipdat
    Just remember how to properly use the quote feature and you will do just fine. :p>:)

Good luck!

Something tells me that won't be one of the interview questions!
  • What do you mean?
    Just remember how to properly use the quote feature and you will do just fine. :p>:)

Good luck!

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Please keep me in your thoughts and send positive energy my way tomorrow especially at 2:30pm PST!
    3po13qfryev1.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    So subtle Herm lol
  • Tony M
    v194afbqhw5h.png
  • Clipdat
    At least there's not a pin in it's crotch.
  • Hermitism
    Just think of it as more of an acupuncture session!
  • Tony M
    I don't remember the acupuncturist putting a needle in my eye when I went to one 8 times. :#:)
  • Hermitism
    Tony M wrote: »
    I don't remember the acupuncturist putting a needle in my eye when I went to one 8 times. :#:)
    He was doing it wrong!

Hey, btw, be safe during that storm!

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    If you leave will America still be great?
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    You got this!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Best of Luck Drew! Show them what you got!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD