Anyone into detailing cars?

Options

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Y'all are making me feel bad for our Mercedes being sooo dirty... I am gonna wash it this weekend. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Y'all are making me feel bad for our Mercedes being sooo dirty... I am gonna wash it this weekend. :)

Make sure you use distilled water :p
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Any thoughts on the rinseless car wash products out there?

@SCompRacer @charley95

anyone?

Bueller?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    Funny this old thread resurfaced now as I was just about to pose a question. I have spots of pitch (sap) all over my windshield, hood and top. I tried some Goo Gone on the glass and it didn't work well. I was afraid to try it on the paint. Any suggestions to safely clean it off?

Try automotive bug and tar remover. If it’s bad you may have to soak a rag and let it sit on the sap for a bit before scrubbing it.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    If you could see my ride in person you'd understand why the 3 products I use works.

Adams polishes is great stuff!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    6x12lrhjaa5c.jpg
    This stuff works great on sap. Mix it to remove sap it will remove wax as well but you're going to wax anyway right.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    halo wrote: »

@SCompRacer @charley95

anyone?

Bueller?

I haven't tried it.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    cyrffbc67fui.jpg
    I had 2 black cars in the 80's. By the time you were done detailing them you would need to start over

I so agree, this is the last Black car I had and after a few hours at the park, it had a nice green tint to it from the dust in the air. I had to clean it constantly IF I wanted it to look good for ANY length of time.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I personally hate white cars, very hard to tell whether or not you are getting too little or too much wax on. Then there are the spots you find that you missed about 5 days later. Someone should invent a black wax for white cars.

I'll take my 10% idea fee.

LOL you just need a garage and good lighting. My Truck is white and I never ever leave any wax on it as I just look down the sides and make sure. I also can feel when I'm rubbing on it.
    jrrpp6hvn2kl.jpg
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    you should feel bad, how long to you go without a shower? Cars need love to you know :D

Dan
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2018
    Options

@SCompRacer @charley95

anyone?

Bueller?

I'm more into pressure washer foamers and microfiber wash mits, fiber dry. I also use microfiber wash detergent and air dry my fiber stuff.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mlistens03
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    you should feel bad, how long to you go without a shower? Cars need love to you know :D

In my defense, its my parents car, so I have to get their permission before I wash it.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Options
    In my defense, its my parents car, so I have to get their permission before I wash it.
    I really don't think they will mind--your dad will puff out his chest and smile, mom will get a tear in her eye, and they both will think/say "our little boy is growing up."

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Derf wrote: »
    I really don't think they will mind--your dad will puff out his chest and smile, mom will get a tear in her eye, and they both will think/say "our little boy is growing up."

She said those exact words when I drove her to the Library and Publix today. :)
  • halo
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I'm more into pressure washer foamers and microfiber wash mits, fiber dry. I also use microfiber wash detergent and air dry my fiber stuff.

I use the CG microfiber soap to wash my microfiber towels. Air dry as well. It takes a lot of MF towels to do a rinseless wash on a car!

I just got the Wolfgang rinseless car wash today as well as 2 100g clay bars. I don't have access to a hose as i live in an apartment so I have to do the rinseless wash unless we take it to the local self serve car wash. I hate the pressure washers there as I never fully trust what's spraying out of the nozzle. Last time, we had it set to rinse and there was definitely soap coming out of there.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mantis
    Options

I'm sure you don't need permission to clean it. They would love for you to take good care of it like a nice hand wash and wax.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options

I use the CG microfiber soap to wash my microfiber towels. Air dry as well. It takes a lot of MF towels to do a rinseless wash on a car!

I just got the Wolfgang rinseless car wash today as well as 2 100g clay bars. I don't have access to a hose as i live in an apartment so I have to do the rinseless wash unless we take it to the local self serve car wash. I hate the pressure washers there as I never fully trust what's spraying out of the nozzle. Last time, we had it set to rinse and there was definitely soap coming out of there.
    I don't know where your taking your car to but I don't use it hardly never but when I do ours works great. We have a local do it yourself car wash and the guy who owns it takes very good care of it. It even has blowers to help dry off your car.
    All the functions work as they should.
    What is CG Microfiber soap? never heard of that. Does it work well?
    Dan
  • halo
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I don't know where your taking your car to but I don't use it hardly never but when I do ours works great. We have a local do it yourself car wash and the guy who owns it takes very good care of it. It even has blowers to help dry off your car.
    Newest and best rated do it yourself car wash in St. Louis.
    All the functions work as they should.
    That'd be nice. lol. Maybe it was just the bay we were using?
    What is CG Microfiber soap? never heard of that. Does it work well?

Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (16 oz)
    61VSoxVqIHL._SL1000_.jpg

It works pretty well. Nothing gets them completely clean. What soap do you use Dan?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I hate the pressure washers there as I never fully trust what's spraying out of the nozzle. Last time, we had it set to rinse and there was definitely soap coming out of there.

The foamer attaches to the business end of my pressure washer wand, so no foamer, no soap. You can get a foamer for garden hose, but the pressure washer foamer makes the best and thickest blanket of foam. I have a selection of narrow to wide spray nozzles for the wand, use wide for rinse.

8didt08kyjbf.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    Options
    I hate the pressure washers there as I never fully trust what's spraying out of the nozzle. Last time, we had it set to rinse and there was definitely soap coming out of there.

The foamer attaches to the business end of my pressure washer wand, so no foamer, no soap. You can get a foamer for garden hose, but the pressure washer foamer makes the best and thickest blanket of foam. I have a selection of narrow to wide spray nozzles for the wand, use wide for rinse.

8didt08kyjbf.jpg

Hi Rich :)

I was describing the "pressure washer" at the local DIY car wash (a bunch of bays with pressure washers - what comes out of them is controlled by a selector switch on the wall - soap, rinse, wax, etc.).
    6d9016_c54effbbb55a402cb859025527a93145.webp

Image borrowed on the interweb - not this exact car wash of which I speak

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,596
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My car lives outside and I hadn't washed it in over a year, so today I spent some time washing, claying, and waxing it.

4o0du7v0k12y.jpg
    lfejovr71iid.jpg
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I like that car!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    My car lives outside and I hadn't washed it in over a year, so today I spent some time washing, claying, and waxing it.

4o0du7v0k12y.jpg
    lfejovr71iid.jpg

Nice ride Drew! Help me with the plate, what does it mean? Before I have a @Viking64 moment! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
  • steveinaz
    Options
    I gotta show off a little...and YES the dealership logo is now gone.

pvj5m21wtgyz.jpg
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @steveinaz It looks like you have the same kind of license plate frame that I do. It's heavy and metal and the lettering is actually cnc'd and then covered with a clear resin, right?
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2018
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Nice ride Drew! Help me with the plate, what does it mean? Before I have a @Viking64 moment! :smile:

drum n bass head. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @steveinaz It looks like you have the same kind of license plate frame that I do. It's heavy and metal and the lettering is actually cnc'd and then covered with a clear resin, right?

Yes sir. Dang thing was about 35 bucks, but I like it.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Yes sir.

Nice. It's the highest quality plate frame I've ever seen. It's hard to capture it's detail in a photo, but it looks super nice up close. I think it was $30 or something, but well worth it, imo. It's the little details that all come together and make your car yours.
  • halo
    Options

4o0du7v0k12y.jpg

That's a good looking ride you got there Drew. I like the rims B)