Anyone into detailing cars?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    It’s all good, there’s enough there to last me quite awhile, for less than 20 bucks. It beats stealing a capful of Tide from the Mrs. every now and then LOL
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I also use a free and clear detergent to wash my micro fiber towels in but I use warm to hot water and heavy duty cycle. My towels come out clean lint free and ready to go. They seem to last years and years.
    What's the advantage of washing them in cold water?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I know a lot of guys who use Dawn dish soap. Is there a reason NOT to use it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    strips wax, can be harsh on paint. I personally do not think it should be used at every wash, but can useful to get off old wax and coatings for a fresh base for a new wax or coating.
    My .02
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

If we are speaking about washing cars, @pitdogg2 is spot on. If we are speaking about washing microfiber towels, I would say not to use Dawn or any other dish soap, especially in front-loaders. That stuff produces lots of suds, I think too much trial and error would be involved in putting just the right amount in?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I also use a free and clear detergent to wash my micro fiber towels in but I use warm to hot water and heavy duty cycle. My towels come out clean lint free and ready to go. They seem to last years and years.
    What's the advantage of washing them in cold water?

Hot water can melt the microfiber(s) causing them to be unable to grab items/dirt/gunk any longer. Can also potentially scratch paint.

https://youtu.be/FhZBikIIbPo
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

A lot of "dedicated" car wash soaps on the market are PH neutral so they won't strip the wax finish you applied. However, they also won't get a majority of the road grime/tar/grease/gunk off your vehicle either.

I agree that you shouldn't use it every time you wash unless you're going to reapply wax every time you wash.

Automatic car washes use soap that strips off all the road grime and is more aggressive than Dawn and the "wax" you get at an automatic car wash isn't really a wax; it's just a gloss enhancer that doesn't offer any protection for your paint.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Options
    Here's an interesting read on automatic car washes:

autodetaildoctor.com/will-an-automatic-car-wash-hurt-my-car/
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I usually don't use anything that strips wax from the surface. By the time I need to correct my paint the polish will remove any residue from the previous coating. I can usually go a year between paint correction and coating. The Adam's H20 & Ceramic Boost do pretty good maintaining finish until my next correction.
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the collonite wax.....good prices too!

For those that don't clay bar.....if you are going to polish and wax, why skip that step?

FWIW, I only use Dawn if I'm doing the whole clay, polish, wax routine. If it's just a wash...I use whatever car wash is on sale......

BDT
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I always clay before I polish. I guess I just don't see the need to Dawn if I'm claying and polishing.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    Here's an interesting read on automatic car washes:

autodetaildoctor.com/will-an-automatic-car-wash-hurt-my-car/

Over time you'll need clear coat correction, eh?

When I traded my '15 'Bu LTZ in, a couple guys from the back asked me what I used on it. It looked good for a four season Chicago area ride.

0v5bo5ygty6h.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *