Polk sda 2 upgrade and general questions

Scored these off the local classifieds for $50 and as always the patch cord was missing.

Here are my questions
- Does anybody have a schematic for the tweeter upgrade
- Is the tweeter upgrade a direct fit with no cutting of the cabinet
- How do you make a patch cord yourself? Whats pos/neg

opoh34glnypq.jpg
vxdmiz2jtge3.jpg
9jzeq4rrpv3t.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Schematics are posted at the top of the page.

Drop in replacement.

I already told you, just the pin carries the signal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AUDI0
    AUDI0 Posts: 10
    edited July 2018
    Ran Into an issue started taking them apart as 1 for sure has something loose in it. Like a unglued cap or something. Found out there about 200 serial numbers apart and that was enough for them to use different labels on the back.
    Is that an issue?
  • AUDI0
    edited July 2018
    Look the fonts different. So is one speaker a different Run? Guess I'm going to have to compare the guts of both. The important thing is I got a left and right speaker.

i0e96vasidtj.jpg
    6vylx6q89dob.jpg
    0polz4sf9pdf.jpg
    jtgoup3mdejd.jpg
  • F1nut
    Polk never sold them with consecutive serial numbers, so no worries.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I know one thing. All that dust on the binding posts really helps your speaker wire/spade/banana get a real good connection. Widens the sound stage and solidifies the center image like you would not believe.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I know one thing. All that dust on the binding posts really helps your speaker wire/spade/banana get a real good connection. Widens the sound stage and solidifies the center image like you would not believe.

Let's compare......

7pm7cahuxm5c.jpg

President of Club Polk

• AUDI0
    Ok I have the speakers completly apart. Looking at spending about $100 on caps.
    Solen a good choice?
  • F1nut
    Solen is not a good choice, a bit rough around the edges. Sonicap Gen I or Clarity CSA work best in the SDA's.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    AUDI0 wrote: »
    Looking at spending about $100 on caps.
    Solen a good choice?
    ANY film cap is a terrific choice compared to the old electrolytics, and the Mylar that are in there right now. Compared to the existing caps, you're gonna love the Solens.

I've taken crap for using Dayton and ERSE. I like 'em just fine.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Solen can be very shrill in the high pass.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Ok I have the speakers completly apart. Looking at spending about $100 on caps.
    Solen a good choice?
    F1nut wrote: »
    Solen is not a good choice, a bit rough around the edges. Sonicap Gen I or Clarity CSA work best in the SDA's.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Solen can be very shrill in the high pass.
    Schurkey wrote: »
    ANY film cap is a terrific choice compared to the old electrolytics, and the Mylar that are in there right now. Compared to the existing caps, you're gonna love the Solens.

I've taken crap for using Dayton and ERSE. I like 'em just fine.

To summarize, Sonicap Gen I or Clarity CSA are the preferred caps all around, but many only use them in the high pass for cost savings, along with mills resistors. Solen have been a preferred cost saving cap for the low pass. Others have been used. All will be an upgrade over the old electrolytics. I would recommend spending the extra for the high pass caps. This should be close to your budget.

You would only need one 12 µF cap per speaker for the high pass, so spending more on the high pass will not be that painfull. You can order RD0-194 replacement tweeters for $50 each. Mention you are a forum member for free shipping.

If you can increase your budget some more, for the same $50 you could get the RD0-198 tweeters, which some consider a slightly better. This would require getting an additional 5.8 µF cap for each speaker. This would increase the cost, but be value added in the long run. See the schematic for the CRS+ SL3000mod in the schematics for this. The CRS+ and SDA2 have the same crossover in the later pin blade models.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I am mighty fond of the Clarity CSA's.

wcgbow1wfis1.jpg
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Solen's aren't the best choice, but if you are really on a hard budget, they are better than the original caps in there now.

Clarity caps aren't that much more and definitely are smoother and have a slightly more cohesive sound.

Mills resistors make a huge difference as well, don't skimp there.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    If you want to do a conservative upgrade, go Clarity PX for both the high pass and low pass. Cost you a little more, but way better than Solen. just my 2 cents.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • AUDI0
    edited July 2018
    xw4rcong9vq6.png

So all in its about $200. Including cdn to USA exchange and shipping.
    Kind of thinking about this. It's expensive. Was going to spend that kind of money on the driver upgrade.
  • pitdogg2
    Driver upgrade?? Or tweeter?
  • F1nut
    Including cdn to USA exchange and shipping.

You can select the currency for different countries at the top of their page. The price in US dollars will always be less the the price in Canadian dollars.

For example the CSA 12uF is $13.46 US, not $18.50. The actual total of what you have listed is $116.54 in US dollars.
    Kind of thinking about this. It's expensive.

I've spent considerably more than your total on a single capacitor.

President of Club Polk

• AUDI0
    edited July 2018
    Ok I made it all fit. Location on the points of the resistor were changed but it all fits. The 750pf cap was left in place also the thermoresistor.

• F1nut
    I think you should research how others here have done their crossovers because what you've got there isn't how to do it.

President of Club Polk

• AUDI0
    edited July 2018
    Ran then through a phase test 1 driver was out of phase. Looks like we have a replacement driver. The 6510 was in place of the right speaker in the left side. Looks like I'm calling polk tomorrow. This is when you really start to invested in something.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • F1nut
    lm60elxghou7.jpeg

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited July 2018
    [quote="AUDI0;c-2430124"Ran then through a phase test 1 driver was out of phase. Looks like we have a replacement driver. The 6510 was in place of the right speaker in the left side. Looks like I'm calling polk tomorrow. This is when you really start to invested in something.[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, the speakers you posted a pic of are the SDA 2A, and the correct drivers are the 6510.

Also, the black wire going to the woofer is the positive wire. Purely speculation, but could be your phase issue.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • westmassguy
    F1nut wrote: »
    lm60elxghou7.jpeg
    Looks familiar.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    gmcman wrote: »
    F*ck ran then through a phase test 1 driver was out of phase. Looks like we have a replacement driver. The 6510 was in place of the right speaker in the left side. Looks like I'm calling polk tomorrow. This is when you really start to invested in something.

If I'm not mistaken, the speakers you posted a pic of are the SDA 2A, and the correct drivers are the 6510.

Also, the black wire going to the woofer is the positive wire. Purely speculation, but could be your phase issue.

They're 2Bs
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • gmcman
    gmcman wrote: »
    F*ck ran then through a phase test 1 driver was out of phase. Looks like we have a replacement driver. The 6510 was in place of the right speaker in the left side. Looks like I'm calling polk tomorrow. This is when you really start to invested in something.

They're 2Bs

Should his label on the rear have a "B" sticker on it?
  • gmcman
    Sorry Dave....I overlooked the pin-blade. My mistake.
  • AUDI0
    vy7ywtkmcmiq.jpg

Found this where the 6503 should be in a phase test. It's a 6510 and yes the wires were backwards

So in total I got

2 x 6511
    1 x 6503
    1 x 6510

• pitdogg2
    edited July 2018
    Buy 2 new 6503's if you cannot locate a good used one. the new MW6503 will need to have the rubber trimmed around the screw hole or you will ruin the surround by tightening a screw on top of the rubber.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • AUDI0
    So parts ordered but gotta wait 4 weeks. Got 2 x mw-6503 ordered and I also ordered 2 x rd0-194
    Tweeters.

I was listening to the speakers as is right now and was wondering what frequencys does the dimension driver play going from speaker to speaker?