McIntosh says no way to MQA.......BRAVO!!!

124»

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Great thread! John Darko (Darko.Audio) reported today that Exogal is dropping support for MQA.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Does anyone remember "PDQ"? it was the "PF Flyers" of "Bosco"
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    kharp1 wrote: »
    So, let me cut through the dank, septic muck that has developed,as a result of the aforementioned bloviating, and see if I can get some clarity. MQA is a lossy format that adds noise, and is proprietary and requires special hardware, and that somehow is supposed to be good? I'm not that desperate to crawl through the desert and drink sand when I find no water.

Lol. Great post. I'll try it out eventually but I'm in no hurry. Seems like added cost with minimal benefit.....if any.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    [/quote]
    I think my ears deserve more credit than just the Butler. How about McCormack/Parasound/B&K amps, Joule pre's, xyz cables, speakers.....anything I pretty much suggest for people to give a whirl with, they seem to like.

….and when ears I trust around here tell me to try something, I listen and give it much more weight. When others ears I trust suggest things for newer members to pair up gear with, they should put some weight behind it also.

Which is one reason when listening to suggestions, you have to form some idea of what those people like in their preferences. My group of ears I trust may not align with say some younger members circle of ears they trust. That's ok...how the world works....and how we move forward in audio.
    [/quote]

Your ears are OK by my books. Many suggestions you’ve given to me that I’ve tried are spot-on. Keep on, Keepin-on.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Does anyone remember "PDQ"? it was the "PF Flyers" of "Bosco"

This is the PDQ I remember.

https://youtu.be/ZQVehnkc68M
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    edited June 2018
    If memory serves right. After each beer or just looking at a shot, TonyB passed out.. kidding.

Now.... talking about hearing? I am lucky to have met Assimilated... Danny. I have not met any others like him. Hands down. This guy could hear ants pissing on cotton. Serious. Ask anyone in Texas that spent anytime with him. I trust his judgement but have my preferences on sound as well.

As for MQA, still have no clue wtf it is.
  • mhardy6647
    halen wrote: »
    As for MQA, still have no clue wtf it is.

MQA (Mysteriously Quirky Audio, or Most Questionable Audioformat) is a cash cow whose milk soured in the udder.

that's a really unpleasant* simile

;)

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    * Note that I am not implying that it's not apt; just that it's kind of... icky.

What's really icky is naming something "Master Quality Authenticated" and implying that the digital file the consumer receives is the same as the studio master, after processing it with a lossy compression algorithm and re-inflating it with noise. And don't forget how gracious they were in making MQA backwards compatible with 16 bit legacy digital audio...as long as you don't mind less than CD quality 13 bit resolution with audible noise.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mhardy6647
    I expect that MQA will die a TS Eliot [poetic, that is] kind of death.
    Not with a bang but a whimper
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    * Note that I am not implying that it's not apt; just that it's kind of... icky.

What's really icky is naming something "Master Quality Authenticated" and implying that the digital file the consumer receives is the same as the studio master, after processing it with a lossy compression algorithm and re-inflating it with noise. And don't forget how gracious they were in making MQA backwards compatible with 16 bit legacy digital audio...as long as you don't mind less than CD quality 13 bit resolution with audible noise.

I like that explanation, should be a sticky....somewhere.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Came across this on another forum. Whether true or not, I do not know. I doubt if I will buy this as not that big a Doors fan, but they do have a few good songs spread over a number of albums.

"Audiophiles might be interested to know that the CDs in this new release have been encoded with the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) process. These are fully compatible with standard CD players, but when connected to an MQA-enabled device, it can play the same disc back in hi-res 176 kHz /24 bit."

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-doors-waiting-for-the-sun-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    ^^ I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't buy that just based on the principle alone. Vote with your dollar.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Came across this on another forum. Whether true or not, I do not know. I doubt if I will buy this as not that big a Doors fan, but they do have a few good songs spread over a number of albums.

"Audiophiles might be interested to know that the CDs in this new release have been encoded with the MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) process. These are fully compatible with standard CD players, but when connected to an MQA-enabled device, it can play the same disc back in hi-res 176 kHz /24 bit."

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-doors-waiting-for-the-sun-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition/

Right there is the rub....when connected to an MQA enabled device. Meaning an MQA enabled dac usually.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable