Formula One 2018

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,560
Anyone else excited for the 2018 F1 season to start up?! Only a few more days until the season opener race in Melbourne on Sunday the 25th! Get ready to BRING THE ACTION!

Check out the race schedule here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/9/2018-calendar.html

IMO, the races are always a blast to watch and the tracks are absolutely gorgeous. Anyone who is into cars/motorsports should at least watch a few races this season!

They added these crazy carbon fiber "halos" for driver safety this year! Seems like it would be distracting, but supposedly they don't even "see" the center bar when they're in the zone and racing.

formula1_halo_03.jpg

f1-italian-gp-2016-max-verstappen-red-bull-racing-with-halo-7505952.jpg

If you're not a huge fan and only watch one race this year, I'd make it Monaco. Gorgeous stunning city street track right next to the marina!

76f878230885552fa88b847d1b4d6da5.jpg

2cdc79326c33d72f50423c7c4a0cae2f.jpg

Crevisio-194-5On7J0LGD.jpg

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    From what I've read, the halos are a carbon wrapped Ti alloy (or magnesium?) Have to be that way due the nature of CF under extreme load (it shatters like glass).
  • Clipdat
    Ah, thanks for that clarification. I haven't researched them whatsoever. A lot of people seem to be upset that they are "ugly", but if it means improved driver safety then I'm all for it.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    From what I've read, the halos are a carbon wrapped Ti alloy (or magnesium?) Have to be that way due the nature of CF under extreme load (it shatters like glass).

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    I have transitioned from not at all interested in F1 about 10 years ago, to F1 being the only form of motor-sport that I watch and follow now. The cars themselves are technological marvels, and as you stated, the tracks are magnificent - for the most part...

Looking forward to the season indeed.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Clipdat
    Another bonus is that my wife is super into it! Anything car related that can catch her interest is a bonus, imo.

However I think she might just not-so-secretly like watching because of Daniel Ricciardo.
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I have transitioned from not at all interested in F1 about 10 years ago, to F1 being the only form of motor-sport that I watch and follow now. The cars themselves are technological marvels, and as you stated, the tracks are magnificent - for the most part...

Looking forward to the season indeed.

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    That’s the first picture of a halo I’ve seen. Perhaps Senna would be alive today if these were required during his time. My sons and I love watching F1.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I do not have cable. Is there a good choice to watch on the internet? Thanks. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Clipdat
    They have a streaming service, but it's not free.
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I do not have cable. Is there a good choice to watch on the internet? Thanks. D

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Why people flock to NASCAR more than F1 in this country is completely bizarre and something I'll never understand...
  • FestYboy
    Bring back Can-Am!!! That's real racing with real machines, not spec car racing which is what NASCAR and F1 are anymore.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Monaco GP is a bucket list event. Italian GP is probably more doable.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2018
    ^^Don't you have to have a certain net worth to be allowed on Monaco?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    F1 spec car racing? Ummmm....no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2018
    You been there F1?

You have to show proof of wealth to become a citizen. This is what I was thinking.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    What ever happened to the roll bar behind them? It not work or air problems?
  • F1nut
    You been there F1?

Monaco? I wish.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What ever happened to the roll bar behind them? It not work or air problems?

The roll bar is hidden under the body work. The new halo is supposed to prevent something such as a loose tire from hitting the driver's head.

President of Club Polk

• recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    love it, always ready for a new season
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I watched every single race for a solid 12 years or so when I had Speedvision on cable. I caught a bit of one last summer and I only recognized 3 of the drivers, two of which I can't stand. But my imitation of the other, Kimi Raikkonen, is spot-on. :p

hashtagrallyenglish
  • FestYboy
    F1nut wrote: »

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh, but the list of rules/limitations is huge and ever changing. Ad to the fact that within the rule set, the end result nearly is a spec car to be competitive. Much like NASCAR. There are only two or three chassis makers for all the teams/manufactures and the engine spec are rather restrictive, again netting a nearly spec car... Very little room for development like what you used to see in Can-Am.

My personal opinion... Feel free to respectively change my mind. :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Me and a buddy were looking at planning one of those trips a couple of years ago, and, Monza wasn't too crazy price wise. The whole trip, however, was a ittle different.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Me and a buddy were looking at planning one of those trips a couple of years ago, and, Monza wasn't too crazy price wise. The whole trip, however, was a ittle different.

I used to get that F1 Tours magazine every season. The prices were astronomical, and that was back in the 90's. I can only imagine what a trip to Spa or Monaco would cost nowadays. :#
  • teamjhertz
    teamjhertz Posts: 361
    Looking forward to this season for sure

My kids became Hamilton fans last year and really got a kick out of finding out that he voiced for Cars 3
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Warehouse manager and myself went Circuit of the Americas a couple of years ago. Wowzers! If you ever get a chance to see an F1 race......do it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Balcony seats!!!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Balcony seats!!!!

I wish! Cozy grass seat next to the beer hut and porta-john.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    lightman1 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Balcony seats!!!!

I wish! Cozy grass seat next to the beer hut and porta-john.

2nd best local, the women have to go pea, and refuel too ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Wife always mentions going to Austin to see the F1 race. Just haven't been able to swing it the last few years. Too many logistical blockages.

I'm sure you had a great time! It's a spectacular track.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Warehouse manager and myself went Circuit of the Americas a couple of years ago. Wowzers! If you ever get a chance to see an F1 race......do it.

• F1nut
    FestYboy wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh, but the list of rules/limitations is huge and ever changing. Ad to the fact that within the rule set, the end result nearly is a spec car to be competitive. Much like NASCAR. There are only two or three chassis makers for all the teams/manufactures and the engine spec are rather restrictive, again netting a nearly spec car... Very little room for development like what you used to see in Can-Am.

My personal opinion... Feel free to respectively change my mind. :)

Sure, the FIA mandates certain specs/requirements, but every team interprets them differently from the chassis, aero package and suspension to the power unit. Basically, they say build a car within these guidelines, but you can do it anyway you want.

Nascar is closer to spec car racing as really the only differences are the body skins and motor builder.

Indy Car IS spec car racing.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    From what I understand, the FIA dictates many of the aero package parameters such that what was allowed last year, or even earlier in the season, is illegal now. I've also noted the major change in tub/foot well design from year to year but all cars seem to run the same look per year.

Seems awfully restrictive to me, even with the interpretation allotted. F1 of the 70/80s was drastically different, and you could see it in the cars even without their livery. I suspect that you'd be hard pressed to pick out different manufactures today if they were all the same color.

The thicker that rule book gets, the closer to spec they become. (Again, IMHO).