Do you ever reminisce about the old days?

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I still have my Advent's. I took one apart last night and have decided to rebuild the pair using the techniques I have learned here. :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2018
    The old days ??

You mean like loose women, fast cars, cheap drugs, gas was 30 cents and a pack of smokes a buck fifty....and McDonalds hadn't sold 1 billion yet and still tasted fairly good ? Those days ??

Naaahh.....

If you mean audio wise, I used to miss my old Sonic Frontiers stuff, but after listening to the Joule it blew it away on every account. I do miss the sound of a good R2R on tubed gear though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Not till now! Cassettes, pioneer, technics, Bolivar speakers. I don't think I was going broke buying wire then but somehow still mightily enjoying the tunes.....hmmmm!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I miss my very first rig sometimes. Back in high school, rocking a pair of HPM40's. I've been thus far successfully resisting dropping coin on something that nostalgic, only to end up in a corner of the basement.
    Yes I just dated myself ...
    kychgwddrku5.png
    lppuh3wac55e.png
    f2l7u712kcq9.png

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    I miss my very first rig sometimes. Back in high school, rocking a pair of HPM40's. I've been thus far successfully resisting dropping coin on something that nostalgic, only to end up in a corner of the basement.

Yup, that's pretty much what'll happen.
    Unless, of course, you have a dedicated hifi room.... then, you know what happens to that 1970s junk, I mean stuff.
  • verb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yup, that's pretty much what'll happen.
    Unless, of course, you have a dedicated hifi room.... then, you know what happens to that 1970s junk, I mean stuff.

Agreed. I keep thinking that I still may have my SAE amp somewhere down there ...
    kdd3us413krb.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    I found it !!! going through some the crap in the basement (we just moved) and behold !!! Was buried under a bunch of other boxes.
    lfeyzgwnuw9j.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Fire it up and see how she sounds!!
    I found it !!! going through some the crap in the basement (we just moved) and behold !!! Was buried under a bunch of other boxes.
    lfeyzgwnuw9j.jpg

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I always look back . When I got into polk, it was my Uncles Montior 10B's connected to a Yamaha stereo Receiver. It was magic and sounded like real live music instead of a recording.
    I wanted to buy my first pair and the ones I was after was he RT16's. I went and heard them and had to have them. I wanted to pay cash so I saved my money and then went to get them. I learned they changed model years and they just came out with the brand new RT1000p's with built in subs. I hated not being able to buy the RT16's but I really liked the RT1000p's and I still get to hear them whenever I want. My Uncle has them in his family Room along with the entire RT system I had back then which was a 7.1 system
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I think I’m missing the old days that I will probably buy an lsi9
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Joey_V wrote: »

If Lsi9 is old...ur young. ;)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

If Lsi9 is old...ur young. ;)

Lol
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • verb
    mantis wrote: »
    I always look back . When I got into polk, it was my Uncles Montior 10B's connected to a Yamaha stereo Receiver. It was magic and sounded like real live music instead of a recording.
    I wanted to buy my first pair and the ones I was after was he RT16's. I went and heard them and had to have them. I wanted to pay cash so I saved my money and then went to get them. I learned they changed model years and they just came out with the brand new RT1000p's with built in subs. I hated not being able to buy the RT16's but I really liked the RT1000p's and I still get to hear them whenever I want. My Uncle has them in his family Room along with the entire RT system I had back then which was a 7.1 system

I still have my RT1000p's !!! Use 'em for my HT setup (front mains), which is now 9.2, but started as a 5.1 !!! Swapped out the HT receivers, but just kept adding on to the RT line !!!

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    DSkip wrote: »
    I reminisce about the days when I had a single setup and a smaller room. There is an intimacy in a small listening room that is hard to get in a larger space.

Yea, sure I reminisce about intimacy in small rooms. Or large rooms, fields or the back of cars. My Garrard deck, Teleton amp and Wharfedale Unit 3 kits, not so much. Though maybe the Unit 3's may have been OK if I had built them right.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    It’s all part of the journey. To look back and see where you were isn’t a bad thing. If you’ve been making the right moves, you’re happier now than you were then and you’ve learned a lot along the way. If you were happier back then, ignorance is bliss but you cannot using that bell
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    *unring that bell.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2018
    But it's never too late. My Doctors were writing my future and it wasn't going to end well. I switched Doctors and it got better. Still, the new place was helping me better BUT they were charging 20,000.00 a MONTH to check my blood for drugs! WTF.
    I told them that was BS and I went on to ANOTHER. I refuse to be ignored or used anymore!

Only we can write our own book of our life.

Don't let others control too much of our destiny!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    I reminisce every time I want to get out of bed. I used to HOP out of bed.

Now, not so much.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    The old days ??

You mean like loose women, fast cars, cheap drugs, gas was 30 cents and a pack of smokes 25 cents....and McDonalds hadn't sold 1 billion yet and still tasted fairly good ? Those days ?? My first speakers were ohm’s..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    Yup, 1974, I used to watch the numbers change since I had to pass a McDonalds for 1 1/2 years of high school to and from trips. I even ate there once in a blue moon.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Would you consider an S20 instead of the LSi9?

Just for the heck of it I setup my floating vintage gear. It was my Dads but I painstakingly rebuilt it. When I was a teenager it was playing through Marantz speakers I purchased at an A&S department store, now just Polk T15's. I had also powered Elac B6 but gave them away too bass heavy boomy, briefly through Jamo thin sounding junk towers. Not that I need it but I'm considering an S20 to match with the AU-6900.

icrehcuy7vw8.jpg

Old speakers long, gone. Nope would not go back.
    51DXe7nOlZL.jpg

I guess I'm a Polk fan came into it in the late 90's Office HT has my first Polk purchase RT55 and I never gave it up, FamilyRoom Atmos HT has LSi25, LR LSiM707, MBR has the only non-polk Motion40.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • I reminisce of the good old days. You know before digital took over the world.

The world of vinyl, corded phones, and typewriters. Even long distance phone bills, pay phones and collect calls.

Plywood bike ramps and the Hardy boys.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Back when there was some GREAT BANDS .
    I also use to play this CD a lot on new stereo stuff when it came in. The greatest hits CD. I knew all the words!! Night Owl :D:pB)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited January 2018
    I remember when "Lonesome Loser" was on heavy rotation on the local pop station. It's a miracle that I grew up to be (slightly) normal. :p
  • Tony M
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I remember when "Lonesome Loser" was on heavy rotation on the local pop station. It's a miracle that I grew up to be (slightly) normal. :p

HaHa, I knew I forgot the song that was about me sometimes.
    Loved that Greatest hits CD!
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Actually I think about the GOOD times way too much. So many shows,events milestones. Being a Dead head (Jerry only please) and Hot Tuna fan one can call me a fossil. I'll tell you something, the day that changed the world I believe in '82 somewhere when Quaaludes were banned. The best damn medicine ever invented...Lower link from some years ago reliving the shows I've seen/heard.

https://archive.org/post/1025378/turning-62-got-meloncohly
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    Just like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, if it works well to help people with pain that over the counter pills can't quite releive, ailments, stress and insomnia and keeps people from drinking alcohol, it must be banned, per lawmakers.

I've heard a long time ago, a lot of politicians have stock in Alcohol Companies. I'm serious about this too. Look into the Kennedy's stock shares in Jack Daniels for one.

The opioid crisis is not a crisis, it's people who have more serious issues to where they want to escape reality to forget about their situations crisis.

I know of 2 friends whose children who died from HEROIN overdoses. They were hanging with the wrong people to begin with for one. the other reasons I don't know. Maybe it's fashionable to get zonked out of your minds everyday for some. But their parents are great people in a way.

I've heard an actress, director say in an interview she also said the banning of Quallude was a medical mistake because of the millions that used them for one reason or another back in the 70's. I guess alcohol sales were dieing so something had to go.

For me, a 60 year old to get hydrocodone from my doctors's office, they had a SCAM to test my blood EVERY FRIKN MONTH for other illisit drugs BECAUSE it's supposed to be a new FEDERAL LAW to stop abuse. IT"S BS. A HUGE smoke screen for $$$$$$$ to be made.
    How many people die or kill others from alcohol abuse. I never heard of a heroin addict kill another while high. Heck, they can't move. It's heroin that is the problem, and maybe Fentinol is to get some of the blame here for real. They busted a drug ring in my town. What did they have, Heroin and 2.5 lbs. of Fentinol. The cops said it was enough Fentinol to kill everybody in New Hanover County...100,000+ people. :o

The docs. private facility was charging my insurance Co. 20,000.00 for a frikn blood test. I wasn'r charged a thing because the insurance Co. never sent a bill to me for it. The Insurance Co. just paid a reduced amount of 15,000.00 for two of the tests. The Doctors office would fluctuate the costs by supposedly using different labs from ACROSS the Country to avoid the red flagging of their practices.

These private and maybe big hospitals also are using this " opioid crisis" BS to get Millions and millions into their accounts and a lot of people don't even know it. But a 70 year old man that was charged that didn't have the plan we do and he was stuck with haveing to pay 7,000.00 for a frikn blood test for illicit drugs.

I call BS on the government and medical facilities for fleecing us "The elderly" for kids rampant "looking for a high" addictions.West Virginia Pharmacy received 2,000,000,000 hydrocodone or Oxycoton pills for a town of 200. Where was the frikn Governmental medical review board while this was happening?? Give me a break!

My brother in law needed something to calm him down from the stress of his surrounding home life. He was 64. The VA didn't give him anything that stopped him from suiside. Maybe there was nothing, but I believe Quallude would've helped him alot in my limited knowledge of his issue.

Sorry for my rant again!