Do you ever reminisce about the old days?

Options
124»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,035
    Options
    All the time...I miss my rotary phone.

Still have a few "in stock" here if you find yourself really Jonesin' for one.

B)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Apraser - yup, nailed it. Our family grew up farming so our play clothes were work clothes. And we ALL got our butt beat or mouths washed out with soap. A Hot Wheels track piece would have been an improvement over the switch...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    My mom had a custom made paddle made from solid oak. She only used it a few times before it broke. Thank God it was shaped with the grain of the wood going the wrong way or it might have been a long childhood. :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    My mom's weapon of choice was the wooden spoon. The sound of the utility drawer opening quickly would make us all scurrying for a place to hide.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Whatever was in arms reach was the weapons of choice unless the beating was planned. I got hit with pots, pans, colanders, knives, long plastic spoons, brooms, lumber, hairbrushes, phone receivers and the famous backhand to the mouth with that big diamond ring. Planned beatings were usually an extension cord, coat hangers or just a belt if you were lucky. Mom should be in prison.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Never got a spanking from my mother, she would always tell my Dad and he would do the honor. At the first of the year he would start out with 3 licks and they would double each time till the end of the year and then it was reset to 3 at the start of the year.

He was 6'4 and could make the belt sting. I never got pass 6 licks. :)
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Maryland folk especially that are old enough should remember the annual "Stereo Discounters Electronic World Show" at the MD State Fairgrounds in Timonium MD from the early / mid 80's. Once a year in the Fall, every manufacturer they sold would come and setup at this show, bringing truck loads of stock to sell. This show was my first exposure to Bose, Cerwin Vega, Acoustic Research and many other brands I didn't know about at the time. They all came out and setup massive displays to demo and sell gear. Bose had one of the biggest setups with their lineup of x01 series speakers. The 201, 301, 501, 601 (my favorite of all time from Bose) and the 901.

Back then the two big audio dealers in my area were Stereo Discounters and Stansbury Stereo. Stansbury had the high end stuff at the time like AR and Infinity. Seeing the Infinity Reference Series RS-II is still burned into my brain till this day.

It was really good times back then for audio shopping! The only place around Baltimore that has survived all these years is Soundscape. It's where I went to demo Polk for the first time in the mid-80's and where I bought my first Polk's in late 1987 (Monitor 10B). I still have the handwritten sales slip from that purchase somewhere.
    No excuses!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,035
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Maryland folk especially that are old enough should remember the annual "Stereo Discounters Electronic World Show" at the MD State Fairgrounds in Timonium MD from the early / mid 80's. Once a year in the Fall, every manufacturer they sold would come and setup at this show, bringing truck loads of stock to sell. This show was my first exposure to Bose, Cerwin Vega, Acoustic Research and many other brands I didn't know about at the time. They all came out and setup massive displays to demo and sell gear. Bose had one of the biggest setups with their lineup of x01 series speakers. The 201, 301, 501, 601 (my favorite of all time from Bose) and the 901.

Back then the two big audio dealers in my area were Stereo Discounters and Stansbury Stereo. Stansbury had the high end stuff at the time like AR and Infinity. Seeing the Infinity Reference Series RS-II is still burned into my brain till this day.

It was really good times back then for audio shopping! The only place around Baltimore that has survived all these years is Soundscape. It's where I went to demo Polk for the first time in the mid-80's and where I bought my first Polk's in late 1987 (Monitor 10B). I still have the handwritten sales slip from that purchase somewhere.

Oh, yeah.

That's where I got this Zenith VHS HiFi Stereo audio/video recorder -- still use it too, now and again, for playing VHS HiFi audio tapes (live recordings and dubs).

9688750862_02fdc01d2a_c.jpgholidaydubbing121209 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Bought a few other things at the Timonium sales, too -- but this recorder's the only one left, nearly 40 years on.

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I think I’m missing the old days that I will probably buy an lsi9

@Joey_V If you do end up buying a pair of Lsi9s I would strongly suggest moding them with Treys @VR3 crossovers. You won't be disappointed!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    He’s only had two years to think about it @HzTweaker 😉 (and he’s pretty busy right now too).
    Alea jacta est!
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    True :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)