This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Yes Polk. One of 2 ever made.

My dad and I were fortunate enough to be given a tour of the "new" facility (before they move again into a larger space) today. I heard some things, saw some other things. Very enjoyable.
    kq4ydq0gw3b5.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Yeah, on second (third!) look, I did remember why/where I'd seen it before :/
  • Thats a nice rack.............and the stereo's not bad either.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,495
    dh3xh5qsq810.jpg

Pulled the Sansui AU-9500 down off the shelf and I'm making sure it's OK before taking up on 2nd floor.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    Not a very common amplifier; I don't think I've ever seen/heard one in the -- umm -- flesh.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,038
    I don't remember ever buying this, but evidently I did. In the '70's
    I have not been able to find any useful info on teh webz, so here you go
    @mhardy6647 , any ideas?

3jd22sz2ys5x.jpg

orhrcwyi1nmd.jpg

aal9rlb9kqqs.jpg

d34rjcn1xqal.jpg
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    As you dudes were yapping about turn tables I remembered there was an old thread of the ten worst things we used to do to tt. Well I chimed in because I didn't see the 2 most obvious ones. # 1. high spindle stacking. Hey my thinking back then, if the machine was made to do that then drop they will. Obviously not so good for both the mushing of LPs and the extra weight for the motor. #2. The world famous instant anti-skating device known to man kind. Scotch taping a penny to the shell head of the cart. This was for dance parties and I don't think I did this to my Dual 1225 But for sure did it w/ my Zenith drop top suitcase thing. DOC whip up a picture of that thing, I couldn't find it anywhere and you've got the vintage ad thing down... Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2018
    I owned one of these in the 80's and it was so beautiful I would sit and stare at it. Each tape could optimized with adjustments on the front. dbx noise reduction as well. TEAC Z6000:

a3vjbjmtzbeu.jpg
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Teac made some nice decks. Reminds me of the deck I had around that time. It was a Harman Kardon CD-491. Another fairly nice component stolen by my roommate at the time. :s HK was, i think, a much better brand back then. They seem to have become more of a cheap alternative and don't offer anything special.

9hgwbya7rpm4.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I owned one of these in the 80's and it was so beautiful I would sit and stare at it. Each tape could optimized with adjustments on the front. dbx noise reduction as well. TEAC Z6000:

a3vjbjmtzbeu.jpg

Did the vintage mancave ever make it to the new joint ? I seem to recall you had a decent vintage setup.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    ^^^^
    I had some of that HK series also. Super heavy and compact and dependable after all these years too. There's a following for that series. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    tonyb wrote: »
    Did the vintage mancave ever make it to the new joint ? I seem to recall you had a decent vintage setup.

No...but I still have the equipment, to include the MINT Pioneer 8-track player that the late, GREAT George Grand gave me.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    I am certifiable...

39803102431_8f40e2b5a5_h.jpgDSC_0345 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

39092996394_e4686b989e_h.jpgDSC_0340 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It's not quite as bad as it looks -- the Duplex's treble drivers are disconnected. :|
  • Tony M
    Sure you don't mean " Bonefide"? :p
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    They look like "war of the worlds" spaceship laser spray generators.

But if they sound great, that's all that matters, right. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    ... and that's why the hifi room is separate from the rest of the house.

:)
  • Tony M
    Is it connected to the house?
  • pumpkinman
    edited January 2018
    01qacabx2iyj.jpg

Phillips CD-i 910 picked this up today for a $1

From Wikipedia:
    The Philips CD-i (an abbreviation of Compact Disc Interactive) is an interactive multimedia CD player developed and marketed by Royal Philips Electronics N.V., who supported it from December 1991 into the late 1990s. It was created to provide more functionality than an audio CD player or game console, but at a lower price than a personal computer with a CD-ROM drive at the time. The cost savings were due to the lack of a floppy drive, keyboard, mouse, and monitor (a standard television is used), and less operating system software. "CD-i" also refers to the multimedia Compact Disc standard used by the CD-i console, also known as Green Book, which was developed by Philips and Sony.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    1cc8xsva5lty.jpg
    Family heirloom
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    Is it connected to the house?

oh, yes... but it's got its own stairway & a door :)
  • mhardy6647
    39092994684_f2c59a5ce6_h.jpgDSC_0342 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24932468817_03d695d916_h.jpgDSC_0337 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I feel like such an apostate -- those are JBL drivers -- and JBL horns.

:|
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    audioluvr wrote: »
    1cc8xsva5lty.jpg
    Family heirloom

Nice!!!
    My other emerging passion:
    xi94www96wz7.png

Philco 41-290. In the shop getting a complete chassis rebuild. AM/FM/SW bands.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    verb wrote: »
    My other emerging passion:
    xi94www96wz7.png

Philco 41-290. In the shop getting a complete chassis rebuild. AM/FM/SW bands.

Beautiful!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pumpkinman
    odrgpzq5vekj.jpeg
    w12ahtpy2rlw.jpeg
    7zrjjcu943uq.jpeg

My $15.90 Sansui SP-2000 speakers
    Someone removed the spring loaded connectors in favor of what looks like a headphone jack. So I took one apart. Removed it and added binding posts. This way I could try one out.
    I need to make a parts list for the crossover.

Question to those in the know. I’m thinking of using the same kind of caps. Inexpensive electrolytics. I don’t know that I want to sink a lot of money in them.

Opinions ?????
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Tony M
    I love those older speakers with wooden grills. Motown sounds especialy good on them. I've owned a ton of brands and models over the years. I wish I didn't have to sell some of my big ones. I just bought a Sansui 3500 set I think they were. Mint in the boxes from the original owner. I loved their sound but a guy I sell stuff to every once in a while came and loved them and off they went pretty quick.

Unscrew the grill and let us see the speakers. They should be in mint cond. although, maybe dusty.
  • Tony M
    They should look like these;
    unniv2z3nd5m.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
  • pumpkinman
    3y39aun8wiml.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Tony M
    edited March 2018
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)
  • pumpkinman
    Tony M wrote: »
    Get an older receiver that is warm sounding ( Luxman, etc. ) and those will sound good for classic Rock and Motown.

I've cleaned the dust out of a few of those huge ports!

What designers came up with back then... ;)

I already have several old Sansui’s. :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg