This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    7zrjjcu943uq.jpeg

Nice! Good, Gooder and Super Good!
    My $15.90 Sansui SP-2000 speakers SCORE!!!
    Someone removed the spring loaded connectors in favor of what looks like a headphone jack. So I took one apart. Removed it and added binding posts. This way I could try one out.
    I need to make a parts list for the crossover.

Question to those in the know. I’m thinking of using the same kind of caps. Inexpensive electrolytics. I don’t know that I want to sink a lot of money in them.

Opinions ?????

Yes! Get the Dayton Audio 1% Premium Quality caps if they have them in stock at Parts Express. Shipping is stupidly high but I used these in my RTA-11T's and they sound really good! About 1/3 to 1/4th the cost of Sonicaps. I really like the old Sansui stuff. They were top of the line in the day!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,495
    5k3vxpxs4fzs.jpeg

Both cleaned up and playing. Certainly not the best speaker I’ve ever listened to and certainly not the worst. I think they’re worthy of a recap.

^^^^^^^^^ Yes I’ve bought from PE in the past and shipping is just plain crazy
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    P-Man, good to see you got the Vandersteens up and running. Took a while but I guess it's a done deal. About the Sansuis and their wood grill brethren. Over on AK they are all known as Japanese 'Kabuki' speakers of the 70's/80's. Giant drivers that should pound the crap out of you and don't, multiple mid and tweeter driver arrays and simple x-overs. I'm not in the thread and again not what I was saying. Here's the link to their thread. Pg# 1 scroll down to Maxhifi reply.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/is-the-klipsch-horn-better-than-the-pioneer.813054/
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pumpkinman
    @leftwinger57
    Yes I know there are real haters of Sansui speakers out there. Still if it doesn’t work out I simply sell them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Open the ports, put the grills back on, turn the pots to soft and prop them up at an angle. Put on that period music like that other website thread poster suggested. Motown and Classic Rock. I feel those woofers stiffen up a lot over the years when not used. The more they're used, the better the bass becomes. I know! ;)

Great garage speakers or even great speakers if you get the 16" woofer versions. I loved a set-up I had with 4 Kenwood 999's (I think) but they were up about 8' on a shelf. The sound was like a live band. Very bassy and lifelike. I had 2 Luxman 1030's powering them easily. I LOVED that set-up for years! I heard every Motown and Classic Rock song 10 times over through them. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    They look BRAND NEW!!

NICE!!! B)
  • pumpkinman
    bdyorqrnn5i6.jpeg

For the Sansui SP-2000’s
    Awaiting the 2-22uf capacitors. The rest of the caps and resistors just arrived.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pumpkinman
    The Sansui’s have been recapped. Now listening to Chris Issak • Silvertone

The new caps made a world of difference. They sounded muddy bloated and in the top end there was music missing. I’m not sure the super tweeters were even tweeting. :) The caps must have been way out spec.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Tony M
    Wait until those woofers loosen up more.

Interesting. Makes me wish I had kept my bigger sets and recapped them too. I guess I missed a few opportunities didn't I.

There is a set of Sansui 3500 here on Cl. But they want 350.00 I think. I won't even think of paying that much for them.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    ^^ Hubba Hoo Hoo

Off to an estate sale, won't be any of those available I'm sure of it.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    Some of my vintage Mac gear.......

vxcg2vz48fuw.jpg
    [/quote
    Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034

Where did you get that MAC wall art????? Way cool![/quote]

Thanks; It's a beach towel that Mcintosh sells on their site. I made a frame for it and put mattress foam behind it to help with room acoustics.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    WTH!?! Dude I'm right here! ( That looks rather aggressive but no malice behind it whatsoever).

Makes me sad I missed another chance to meet/hang with a fellow Polkie.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Note the Blue Meanie. 'nuff said.

;)
  • Tony M
    You never know what you'll find in some thrift stores or little shops.
    A guy I know found one of these at a "battered women's help" thrift store for 10 or 15 bucks. I bought it from him for like 80 or 100. You just never know.
    4daa74mq7wry.png

• mhardy6647
    Not a model I've ever encountered in the wild, but that Pioneer amplifier looks like a fairly serious piece of hardware. You have one, eh? What do the guts look like?

:)
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
    Yup. I have the one my old friend found in that thrift store that helps battered women. He's not into stereo as much as I am so he sold it to me after about a year. I guess he wanted some cash. I happened to have some to give him. It's a beast. This is a pic. from the web.
    s31jntbar52g.png

8akcnnwcppg1.png
    72b6vfh16rj8.png

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg
  • pumpkinman
    cubyn3el09j3.jpeg

I picked these Knight speakers last weekend on a hot tip from @mhardy6647
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2018
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)
  • pumpkinman
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)

I won’t know till this weekend. Sadly I’ve been busy with my boss on vacation for the last 8 days. I’ll take a few snaps and post them
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    verb wrote: »
    Is that a horn behind the grille? @mhardy6647 fingerprints for sure! :smile:

Don’t know yet might just be a port ?? I did finally hook them up and play them tonight. Sound fine
    More to come :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ok I'll play. Whoa!
    6hj9wjidhz2k.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    That was kinda my guess when I saw them being offered up, as I recall. Given their locus in space, I contacted @pumpkinman and kinda sorta encouraged him to take a look. I don't believe he needed too much encouragement ;)