This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Optonica SA-5605:

j56l118wx3qe.jpg

My friend has one of these, sounded real nice on his pair of Kef speakers... he sold them, he thinks it was the worst mistake he ever made, but he still has the receiver.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    yngv65hkfyjt.png

more fun with a pair of EV "Wolverine" LS-12 fullrange drivers ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2018
    Years ago, I picked up a corner speaker cabinet at the end of my road one day.

Later looking in it, there was no horn where the horn slot it but the big speaker in it is a Wolverine. That speaker sounded GREAT too. I don't know what the front of the speaker cone looks like but the rear looks just like what that guy is holding from what I can remember. I still have that cabinet and speaker. B) It looks just like this one, exactly.
    uzh5xc850u3i.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    a few such enclosures have passed through here, too :)
    ... and there's a small but sincere collection of those EV drivers, too :p
    I have a soft spot in my head heart for them.

24042273670_81c8fb1510_b.jpg001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

33094026905_ea76b4e235_b.jpgDSC_7144 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Tony M
    edited April 2018
    YEP, that's the cabinet. But yours has 3 speaker openings behind the grill. Mine has 2.

I need to pull the driver out. It's a shame there was only one on the roadside! :'(
  • mhardy6647
    They're still kind of floating around everywhere.
    Remember, chance favors the prepared mind.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Tony M
    edited April 2018
    mpitogo wrote: »
    @Tony M looks like very nice haul. Vintage Sansui!

You might be looking at my Pioneer A-88X integrated pics I got from the web to show its guts.

It looks like the vintage sansui integrated I had once. It was a 717. Man I wish I still had it and it's tuner and equalizer that matched too. :'( Video from the Web. Not mine.
    https://youtu.be/gPbosiyi22c
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,495
    5yuah76kood7.jpeg
    9fb4mwr3felb.jpeg
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    and, and, and... what's in em'??? :)

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Not bad. Electrovoice OEM.
    Styrofoam LF cone. EV made a series of drivers with Styrofoam cones in the 1960s.

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1962-210/h020.html

q0xx5fk6giwj.png

(note that the driver in the 1962 catalog page scan above has a slightly different tweeter horn. In the case above, the horn is identical to the one that you'd find on an EV T35 or T35B tweeter of that era).
  • mhardy6647
    From the 1961 Allied catalog:

3d33u4j64tep.png

source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1961)
  • pumpkinman
    edited April 2018
    @mhardy6647
    Thanks for all help and information

P-man
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    ttqs5pvcnqgw.jpeg
    rn8wxi9nxcgt.jpeg

KEF 103/3 picked at an auction yesterday for $33
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Here is my ADC Accutrac 4000 remote turntable. This model turntable I first saw in a Columbo episode. The table was found at Goodwill and I cleaned her up the best I could. The silver orb sensing unit and remote were acquired on ebay and I had to purchase a new stylus. Below the pic is a video of it in operation.
    r8xwahze3f5t.jpg
    tzpqlc5wahat.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMSfyyNbkH0
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2018
    There's one of those (Accutrac, that is) in the basement here.
    There used to be two. :p

EDIT: PS, not too many knobs on one of those -- but a bevy of buttons, for sure! ;)

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Pongshi- drool! That thing is awesome.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    cubyn3el09j3.jpeg

I picked these Knight speakers last weekend on a hot tip from @mhardy6647

Those look very similar to the ones I just found..

• krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    oldrocker wrote: »
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    cubyn3el09j3.jpeg

I picked these Knight speakers last weekend on a hot tip from @mhardy6647

Those look very similar to the ones I just found..

You might want to check your closet.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Still here they ain't got no legs..
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Still here they ain't got no legs..

Pictures say otherwise.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    I finally achieved one of my bucket list items - a Dual 721 :) I was very fortunate to acquire one on eBay for a reasonable price. Since I already owned Dual's top idler-drive - a 1229Q - and their top belt-drive - a 1249 - I really wanted to finish their trifecta with their top direct-drive - a 721. Mission accomplished!
    mqb217wnbmn7.jpg
    The one I got does not have the stock plinth 'tray', but rather a real wooden plinth. I like this specimen better for the mere looks of it.
    6jyawaul5u8k.jpg
    38xt9eslgj3n.jpg
    This one really is in great shape, had been service/refurbed by the eBay seller, and was EXPERTLY packaged for transit. Funny thing was: I couldn't get it to power-on after unpacking :( No platter turning, no strobe...nothing. Turns out the fuse had fallen out during packing :lol: It has an open bottom like many Dual tt's from that era, so I think the fuse was knocked-out during packing. I noticed that the fuse holder had been stretched a bit, and when I tried to squeeze the contacts back together, one of the side tabs broke-off :s I was able to fix it with a bit of solder and a replacement fuse, and alles gut! The included cartridge was an M91E with replacement stylus...not bad.

Of all the features with this deck, I was most interested in the adjustable VTA - closeup shown here.
    oy03rkpio71y.jpg
    I have worked on a few tt's with adjustable VTA (VPI and Thorens), but had never owned one myself until now :)

The dust cover is in great shape, and has the 'tongue' on the back that slips into a slot in the plinth...no hinges involved. Of course it has the 2X anti-resonator counterweight - just another great feature on this classic Dual turntable.
    gytwuqs3x11d.jpg
    I made a mental note long ago that the 721 was a favorite of dualcan/Klaus over on Vinyl Engine, so I waited patiently for the opportunity to nab one.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    My eX got a Dual 1242 (I think) mounted with a dual cart.
    I've blacked out on it... :|
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Here are a few vintage receivers I have been eyeing not too far from me to go with the newly rebuilt Tandberg TL5010 speakers:

s8ayf3wb5bgo.jpg

1caw428ozvn2.jpg

isj19m23jqzv.jpg

mhardy, those Plus Series Sanyo's are the bomb, Mos-Fet amp sections, killer phono and headphones direct coupled to the amp (how I use my little intergrated A35 amp) Schweeet

vJu5xQo.jpg I've cherished since 1979...

Couldn't go wrong with either the Sony and the Marantz. Dunno about the Sanyo.

Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    Fresh from my dad's garage, a little Harman Kardon 430 receiver:
    6vdqw7jk327u.jpg
    Only 25WPC, but 'twin-powered' trannies and two pair of filter caps to create a sweet sound. The tuner sounds great, but might need to refurbish the phono section.

The sharpest among you might be able to see the price my dad paid for this unit B) That was about 15-20 yrs ago in a metro ATL thrift store.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited October 2018
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    edited October 2018
    I use to have a similar model. If my nomenclature is correct, mine was the Type 299, with the transformers perpendicular to the faceplate. The first model in that series. Now, I think, correct me if I'm wrong, on the Type 299-A the transformers were parallel to the faceplate. When I retired and my family banished me and my stereo to the basement, I sold it, along with numerous other H.H. Scott items, to make room. Although I still have, and use, a modded 330-D am/fm tuner and Type 335 multiplex. I always thought the 299's were sharp looking amps.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.