which speakers are better?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    alan78 wrote: »
    Will be getting black. My only concern now is the rtia3's are rather large and not sure how they will look in a smaller room.

So now I'm not sure if I want to intermingle sig s10's with rtia5 or go for that sig package

Wait, which mains are you considering? The RTiA3 or A5? As for using the s10s as the surrounds, I personally don't think it's a problem unless you listen to a lot of concert Blu-rays or 5.1 SACDs or DVD-audios. But others feel that matching surrounds are important....

But I do agree with the nut, the center channel very important. I would say that the center and the sub are what really make the HT experience, so don't skimp on either of those.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The RTI A5's don't really look that large. If you set an A3 on top of an A5, they line up. Both are about 8 inches wide. The little silver feet on the bottom of the A5's stick out about 1 1/2 inches on each side.

Place the A3's on stands, and the foot print is the same. If you place the A3's on 24 inch high stands, they will be about 1 inch shorter. Either way you go, these are not big imposing speakers.

The only issue, other than the above multi-channel music issue, that I can see using RTI A fronts with signature surrounds is WAF. These two series look very different from one another, and may be an aesthetic issue for some.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The center is the most important speaker in an HT rig. Get the RTiA6.

*CSiA6*

Right! Thanks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    So @alan78, what did you wind up ordering?

Once you have it all set up please let us know how you like it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »

I haven't purchased anything yet. Got cold feet and scared I won't tell the difference between what I got now and what I'm about to drop 1700 on...hahaha

But current plan when I do is: denon x3300, rtia5's, rtia1's, csia6, svs sb-1000 sealed. That comes in at just above $1700. Then $250 for new silver ticket 120" fixed screen.
  • mrloren
    mrloren wrote: »

I haven't purchased anything yet. Got cold feet and scared I won't tell the difference between what I got now and what I'm about to drop 1700 on...hahaha

But current plan when I do is: denon x3300, rtia5's, rtia1's, csia6, svs sb-1000 sealed. That comes in at just above $1700. Then $250 for new silver ticket 120" fixed screen.

This setup vs. HTiB oh yeah you would be able to tell the difference easy.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Even Stevie Wonder could in a DBT.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rooftop59

I know it seems like a lot (and it is to most of us), but if you have the means and desire, it is much better to do it right. I upgraded from a HTIB by spending about $600 on a very entry-level system, and although the journey has been fun, it would've been much more prudential to just save up and do it right the first time. That will be a great HT setup, one that you can rock for many years.

I will say that if it is primarily for HT, I would definitely go for the SVS PB-1000 (ported instead of sealed - more extension and output).
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Oldschool59
    Oldschool59 Posts: 67
    edited September 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I know it seems like a lot (and it is to most of us), but if you have the means and desire, it is much better to do it right. I upgraded from a HTIB by spending about $600 on a very entry-level system, and although the journey has been fun, it would've been much more prudential to just save up and do it right the first time. That will be a great HT setup, one that you can rock for many years.

I will say that if it is primarily for HT, I would definitely go for the SVS PB-1000 (ported instead of sealed - more extension and output).

True, but that dam Rabbit Hole grabs ahold of you and it's on! Never can have to many speakers.
  • alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    edited September 2017
    Well I have made mock ups of the rtia1's and I really do not have the room for such a large speaker. I made a mock up of the s10 and it will fit the space perfectly. So..... I am going to go with the adorma signature package that was linked a bit back. The sub and the AVR will remain the same. The wife says it better sound a whole heck of a lot better than our HTIB. Ugh I hope so too or never hear the end of it. Unless someone talks me out of that set up I'm ordering it today.

I chose the sealed sub partly because of size and it was recommended the sealed sounded truer and picked a bit harder.
  • mrloren
    for subs in HT I like ported better a little more boom. Just notice the "I". For music sealed is better tighter bass. going from HTiB to either is going to rock your world.

Signatures are a nice speaker you can't go wrong either way.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I suggest the sealed based on your complaint with your current sub.

Sealed subs tend to be tighter, quicker and more accurate. They also tend to be less picky where they are placed. Ohh, and the all important fact that they are usually FAR more accepted by significant others...
  • mrloren
    edited September 2017
    Oh wow I forgot and overlooked the WAF. Sorry my bad.

Yes the sealed SB1000 will meet WAF a lot better. And Yes I never heard a HTiB sub that can even come close to a standard real sub. My old Sony 12" I have at work will out class almost all HTiB subs.

You can go wrong with either SB or PB1000 sub. The Ash will match the Signatures nicely.

Here is a link to an Audyssey thread that helped me dial in my system.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/68407-audyssey-multeq-faq-setup-guide.html#post622336

x72nlwmknkda.png

1. PLPC
    2. 3 inches forward
    3. 3 inches up
    4. 3 inches up & 3 inches forward
    5. 3 inches left
    6. 3 inches right
    7. 6 inches left
    8. 6 inches right
  • Okay, everything is ordered except the sub. I'm now hung between sealed and ported. Seems trivial actually but here I am.

I want mainly for movies..like 99% movies. My room is small 16x14 with carpet and a 5 foot knee wall that then slopes up. I want thunderous but I don't want constant rumble that detracts from the movie. My current sub does that and I hate it it sounds awful. Not sure if that is the movie or my sub. If we even want to call it that...its a 6" ported sub. I HATE it and the sound. I'm not bitter about it though.....hahahaha

So...pb-1000 or sb-1000....?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    PB 1000.

The have a few at there outlet store.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Either way, SVS has a great return/exchange policy.

Get one and if it's not what you want change it out...

If you were closer, I would let you borrow one of my sealed subs to try it out. Nothing like just getting your ears on the stuff.
  • alan78 wrote: »
    Okay, everything is ordered except the sub. I'm now hung between sealed and ported. Seems trivial actually but here I am.

I want mainly for movies..like 99% movies. My room is small 16x14 with carpet and a 5 foot knee wall that then slopes up. I want thunderous but I don't want constant rumble that detracts from the movie. My current sub does that and I hate it it sounds awful. Not sure if that is the movie or my sub. If we even want to call it that...its a 6" ported sub. I HATE it and the sound. I'm not bitter about it though.....hahahaha

So...pb-1000 or sb-1000....?

Neither. Go with a HSU VTF2-MK5 sub. It's fine tuning ability is great. It an also be used with one open port, 2 open ports or as a sealed unit.

hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• True, 45 day return policy and they pay shipping both ways. Really can't beat that at all! Hmm...take my pick....ill measure and see where it will fit best. It has to go in the back of the room I know so I'll see how the size will fit. May go sealed and see if that hits good. I'll know more in the morning.
  • mrloren
    99% movies go ported.

I would take the HSU VTF2-MK5 over the PB/SB-1000. But it is $150 more to your door. So in cost savings I would go PB-1000. The VTF1 is another option but I think the SVS subs will dig deeper than the VTF1.

My VTF3-MK5 with both ports open, set to EQ2 and "Q" set to .05 goes earthquake deep.
  • alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    edited September 2017
    SVS PB1000 has been ordered as well. System complete. Looks like everything we will here Friday except the signatures...ugh

So next question.....woofer cable. I want to play aroind with location but was wondering if a shorter cable is better? My AVR is in the back of the room where I keep my current sub. So the svs will likely follow suite but looking at a 25ft cable in case i want to put it up front..any loss is signal at that length?
  • rooftop59
    Don't you currently have a shorter one? If you keep it in the same location use the shorter one, if you move it use the longer one?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    SVS PB1000 has been ordered as well. System complete. Looks like everything we will here Friday except the signatures...ugh

So next question.....woofer cable. I want to play aroind with location but was wondering if a shorter cable is better? My AVR is in the back of the room where I keep my current sub. So the svs will likely follow suite but looking at a 25ft cable in case i want to put it up front..any loss is signal at that length?

Weird, I'm in CA and I ordered my speakers from Adorama on a Monday and had them that Friday.

SVS sells a quality sub cable the is affordable. Audioquest is good but a little more pricey or Monoprice for the cost savings.

SVS
    https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-rca-audio-interconnect-cable

Audioquest a little pricey
    https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Black-Subwoofer-Cable-39ft/dp/B00FX6ZD94/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506525022&sr=1-6&keywords=Audioquest+Black+Lab

Monoprice affordable
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102683-25-Feet-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B001W0BUBK/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506525126&sr=1-11&keywords=monoprice+subwoofer+cable

• I ended getting the 25 foot off Amazon. Don't figure there is a drop in that length. And if I need only 10 feet, well I'll coil it up. Haha

Yeah I ordered yesterday so it's showing Monday. Maybe UPS will move it up a day. I hate UPS and much prefer FedEx more for multiple reasons. But yeah to Cali within the week. I'm on the same side of the MS river and I can't get it until Monday. Sigh...oh well

Anyway I can't wait to get all this and get it hooked up. Getting super stoked!
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited September 2017
    We regret to inform you your orders have been placed on backorder. Your new estimated ship date is 11/04/2017. Thank you for your orders and sorry about any inconvenience this might cause. Have a Nice Day.

• mrloren
    How far away is the UPS hub? Mine is close by so I Always have them hold for pickup.
  • The hub is actually pretty far away from. That's what takes so long for me here with UPS. FedEx is fast but I live 2 hours south of Memphis, FedEx main hub. So I always would rather FedEx and FedEx delivers early in the morning when I'm home. UPS waits until 30 minutes after i leave for work. Sigh...

Well it looks like all I'm getting Friday is the AVR, speaker wire,woofer cable, and my new 120" screen. All things speaker will be Monday. So I'll always move my projector and get new screen hung this weekend and AVR I'm place and hooked up. Then speakers will be nothing more than banana plug in and fire it up.

Thank goodness I live out in the country because Monday it will get loud! Haha
  • See...svs shipped today via FedEx and..it will be here Saturday! UPS shipment that went out Tuesday.....yep still showing Monday. Sigh..
  • mrloren
    errrr I hate waiting. bummer you can't go to the UPS hub and pick them up on Saturday.
  • alan78 wrote: »
    See...svs shipped today via FedEx and..it will be here Saturday! UPS shipment that went out Tuesday.....yep still showing Monday. Sigh..

Unfortunately it might take a little longer then that. Apparently there was an incident that effected both shipments.

jkjwtcotpkfq.png

;)