The DEMON is coming...

Comments

• Why even bring up a 2,000,000 dollar super exotic ? Apples and oranges. Let John enjoy his new car. After all, how many people could say their first new car could pull a wheelie ? :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited June 2017
    Ummmm,,,, because it's on topic and the Demon is being touted as the fastest production car ever made. Same was said of the Veyron. How is talking about other production cars in a car thread off topic?

This place has gone batty with over correction. And intense hypersensitivity.

H9

Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9 wrote: »
    Ummmm,,,, because it's on topic and the Demon is being touted as the fastest production car ever made. Same was said of the Veyron. How is talking about other production cars in a car thread off topic?

This place has gone batty with over correction. And intense hypersensitivity.

H9

It was touted because it is . Amazing numbers for an 85K car. You could buy 25 Demons for the price of a Bugatti.

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 2018 9.65 sec Limited to 3,300 produced
    Bugatti Veyron Super Sport 2011 9.7 sec Limited to 30 produced
  • heiney9
    edited June 2017
    Ok, Tforan you can have the last word. Tired of going in circles. 9.65 sec ???? what? The Veyron topped out at 254 mph for the open top and 269 mph for the hard top, I'd say that's faster than the Demon. But then it's all open to very wide interpretation of what "fastest" entails?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    In the$2million plus cars....I'm a bigger fan of the Koenigsegg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9 wrote: »
    Ok, Tforan you can have the last word. Tired of going in circles. 9.65 sec ???? what? The Veyron topped out at 254 mph for the open top and 269 mph for the hard top, I'd say that's faster than the Demon. But then it's all open to very wide interpretation of what "fastest" entails?

H9

You do realize it was made for the quarter mile , right ? That seems pretty obvious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

Enough already.
  • heiney9
    If that's the case then it doesn't make my list of fastest production cars.

Enough already
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    heiny has a point. The Demon might currently hold the crown for the fastest production car in the quarter mile but there are other models that are faster at top end. The new ZR-1 Corvette is supposed to eclipse 200 MPH as do other exotics and high-end sports cars. The Demon is king of the muscle cars though. At least until GM or Ford decide to come out with something with more HP (which is doubtful). You can never tell though. They have in the past.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2017
    I have to make one more comment. It was never my intent to disparage the Demon. It is what it is......a fantastic American Muscle car and a great achievement for $85K (if anyone can ever buy one for that price).

But I just wanted to point of the fact that some are calling it the fastest production car ever. It really isn't (IMO) and is designed with a singular thing in mind, to go fast in the 1/4 mile w/slicks at a conditioned drag strip. That's an awful lot of limitations to be called the fastest production car of all time. Some of that is pure marketing, however. I'd like to see it's 1/4 mile time on regular asphalt with OEM tires.

If John is ever in my area with the Demon, I'll gladly have my face pushed in from a ride in the 1/4 mile. :D
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    It might be faster in the 1/4 mile, but what happens after that? I bet they didn't test it past that point. My guess is the veyron takes a corner. The hellcat plows into a wall with those tiny front tires. Hahaha

Im a car guy through and through, that Hell cat looks deadly. Would love to drive one.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• heiney9
    All I know is Jeremy Clarkson's daily driver is the same daily driver I drive. :p

H9
  • Lord sake's. The quarter mile is the de-facto measurement for acceleration. Of course , there are cars with a higher top speed.

Mr Heiney, the stock tires that they used are Nitto drag radials, not racing slicks.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I have to make one more comment. It was never my intent to disparage the Demon. It is what it is......a fantastic American Muscle car and a great achievement for $85K (if anyone can ever buy one for that price).

But I just wanted to point of the fact that some are calling it the fastest production car ever. It really isn't (IMO) and is designed with a singular thing in mind, to go fast in the 1/4 mile w/slicks at a conditioned drag strip. That's an awful lot of limitations to be called the fastest production car of all time. Some of that is pure marketing, however. I'd like to see it's 1/4 mile time on regular asphalt with OEM tires.

If John is ever in my area with the Demon, I'll gladly have my face pushed in from a ride in the 1/4 mile. :D

The drag slicks are OE tires... The Demon is top dog of the muscle car family tree, but it is not a sports car. The parameters the car was designed for make it the fastest car within those specific targets, but it is not the fastest top speed car. I would like to see what this engine would be capable of in a 3100 pound package with the handling to match.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Demon motor in aerodynamic body weighing 3000 lbs with a 2.62 gear out of the Hellcat and you would be well into the 200s. The drag radials are "limited" to 167. :)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    gfong wrote: »
    Be happy for this cat,, (get it)

Hell, it's his first NEW car, he is buying it as an investment and he is not going to drive it or use it as a car. I have some records like that! :)

I have to ask why then is he getting a vanity plate that says UWILLUZ ?
    Not exactly keeping with the spirit of an investment car when you are practically daring people to race you. I mean it's his money and his car, but color me confused anyway.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Y'all make me laugh.

First, the Demon is NOT the "first factory car that could do wheels stands". That was the '64 Ford Thunderbolt with it's altered wheel base embarrassing Dodge Ram Chargers at the drag strip regularly. In fact, it was so successful that half way through '64 Dodge trotted out their own altereds to compete but still couldn't get past the Thunderbolt and it's mountain of a 7.0L V8. Dodge didn't regain anything until the 426 HEMI was used but by that time Ford had moved on to other classes to clean up in with the Mustang CJ and Mustang SCJ.

Secondly, the car in the guise that can do the wheels stands is not street legal. Hence the reason you need a specific key to "unlock the magic".

Thirdly (is that even a word?), it's not the fastest production car in regards to top speed. Or 1/4 mile for that matter.

The 2017 Ford GT will run through a 1/4 mile at around 9.4 seconds at a bit over 150 MPH. The Demon is at least .2 seconds slower and 10+ MPH down on trap speed.

On top of that, the real king of production drag race cars is the current Ford Mustang Cobra Jet with it's mid-8 second 1/4 mile time AND 8.50 index certification off the showroom floor by the NHRA is the true king of the drag strip and the fastest factory drag car in street classes. Despite the Demon.

Also, the Demon is not banned by the NHRA. That's baloney. The only thing that has happened is that the Demon lacks the safety gear required to run the times it's supposed to run. Therefore, the Demon, even at the 808 horsepower pump gas level runs too fast to be able to compete as is. If, however, you get a certified roll cage installed and get yourself the appropriate fire gear and helmet, you pass tech, you run all day. You'll probably get stuck in an Outlaw class when the Demon will not be competitive at all (meaning it won't win a single race) but you'll be able to race. This fact alone makes me fear that the majority of these will not be raced at a sanctioned track but rather in illicit street races where this thing has an enormous potential to turn into a 4,000 pound idiot missile being "piloted" by an idiot who's really just along for ride as they careen through the public endangering everything from sensibilities to safety of the general public.

Another thing, there is no magic horsepower number that will make a car reach a 9 second quarter mile. A 3500 pound car needs about 850 horsepower to get into the 9's. You can fudge it a bit with short gearing but that's a real number. But shave 1000 pounds off that car and you can get into the 9's with 250 less horsepower, despite gearing. Add 1000 pounds and you'll need over 1000 horsepower. It's about power to weight ratio. That's it. It's physics, not magic.

The Demon is not a collector's item for many reasons already mentioned. Hype does not make a collector's car alone. Will it be worth something? Yeah, it'll hold value well enough, maybe increase too. But if the Hellcat is any indication, it's going to drop 35% plus in value in the first 3 years. Then again, the Hellcats aren't old enough to start seeing real appreciation and the more they make, the farther off that corner turning is. I'm not trying to dump on parades here, I'm just being honest with realistic info. As a counter point, the Mustang CJ is only made in 50-100 car increments and they don't even give it a VIN so you can't register it on the road without getting a VIN issued. This ensures that the buying process vets ownership by default. At 50-100 per year out of hundreds of thousands of Mustangs, that is a collector's item and many that aren't raced anymore end up in collections. The Mustang CJ has been running in AA/S class for Stock Eliminator in the NHRA since 2008. It was only running 11 second 1/4 miles then but by 2010, output could be bumped up to a "conservative" 475 and the car was run in A/SA class but in the high 10's easily when it should be in the mid-11's. So yeah, the car that can beat the Demon was available in 2012 when power levels went north of 600 horsepower with 1/4 mile times in the high 9 range from a 3200 pound car.

I'm not even going to go into what GM is doing with the COPO Camaros as of late but they aren't as fast as the Mustang but still faster than anything Dodge has put on the track in the last 60 years.

Lastly, there is already debate about how smart it is to put something like this in the hands of the general public. Being as I've actually driven a car that ran mid-9 second 1/4 miles on drag radials and we were sandbagging while doing it (car made 940 to wheels and at 2800 pounds was good for mid 8's), the Demon is not something that should be put in the hands of a regular pleb. Especially since it's really only bench racers that are buying them. That kind of acceleration is outright violent and very hard to control. It takes a good amount of experience to do it well too. I was called everything from female gender body parts to a liberal for saying so too.

Sometimes y'all are so out of touch it's sad, really.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    What is the "Demon Pack" that i keep seeing referenced?

And how man cup holders does this thing come with!?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Shut up, John.....
  • Jstas
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Shut up, John.....

Your mom.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Don't get me wrong the Demon is a beast and a nice machine, put it up against an Audi R8 or a 911, sure the Demon might get a jump on the 1/4 mile after that the Audi and the Porsche will zip right on by. There was a stretch of autobahn between Schweinfurt and Frankfurt back in the 80s and 90s where all the GI's would bring there Cuda's, GTO's, Shelby's, Camaro's, Trans Am's you name it the results were generally the same a fast start on the 1/4 only to fall prey to the Audi, Porsche's, and BMW's.

The Germans sure did like American Muscle cars and a few GI's made lots of money selling their cars to them. As an investment the Demon would be fine and stateside a awesome automobile to own, but for shear speed it wouldn't be a match against the German sports cars. I'm sure a few Europeans are drooling over the Demon as a collectors item.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »
    What is the "Demon Pack" that i keep seeing referenced?

And how man cup holders does this thing come with!?

... and does it have on-board Bluetooth and Sirius/XM?

:)

I've gotta be honest, I'd find the Demon to be much more interesting if anyone but FCA were responsible for it! :(

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    @Jstas

What engine is in the Mustang you speak of??

Just curious as we make parts for several of them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Y'all make me laugh.

First, the Demon is NOT the "first factory car that could do wheels stands". That was the '64 Ford Thunderbolt with it's altered wheel base embarrassing Dodge Ram Chargers at the drag strip regularly. In fact, it was so successful that half way through '64 Dodge trotted out their own altereds to compete but still couldn't get past the Thunderbolt and it's mountain of a 7.0L V8. Dodge didn't regain anything until the 426 HEMI was used but by that time Ford had moved on to other classes to clean up in with the Mustang CJ and Mustang SCJ.

Secondly, the car in the guise that can do the wheels stands is not street legal. Hence the reason you need a specific key to "unlock the magic".

Thirdly (is that even a word?), it's not the fastest production car in regards to top speed. Or 1/4 mile for that matter.

The 2017 Ford GT will run through a 1/4 mile at around 9.4 seconds at a bit over 150 MPH. The Demon is at least .2 seconds slower and 10+ MPH down on trap speed.

On top of that, the real king of production drag race cars is the current Ford Mustang Cobra Jet with it's mid-8 second 1/4 mile time AND 8.50 index certification off the showroom floor by the NHRA is the true king of the drag strip and the fastest factory drag car in street classes. Despite the Demon.

Also, the Demon is not banned by the NHRA. That's baloney. The only thing that has happened is that the Demon lacks the safety gear required to run the times it's supposed to run. Therefore, the Demon, even at the 808 horsepower pump gas level runs too fast to be able to compete as is. If, however, you get a certified roll cage installed and get yourself the appropriate fire gear and helmet, you pass tech, you run all day. You'll probably get stuck in an Outlaw class when the Demon will not be competitive at all (meaning it won't win a single race) but you'll be able to race. This fact alone makes me fear that the majority of these will not be raced at a sanctioned track but rather in illicit street races where this thing has an enormous potential to turn into a 4,000 pound idiot missile being "piloted" by an idiot who's really just along for ride as they careen through the public endangering everything from sensibilities to safety of the general public.

Another thing, there is no magic horsepower number that will make a car reach a 9 second quarter mile. A 3500 pound car needs about 850 horsepower to get into the 9's. You can fudge it a bit with short gearing but that's a real number. But shave 1000 pounds off that car and you can get into the 9's with 250 less horsepower, despite gearing. Add 1000 pounds and you'll need over 1000 horsepower. It's about power to weight ratio. That's it. It's physics, not magic.

The Demon is not a collector's item for many reasons already mentioned. Hype does not make a collector's car alone. Will it be worth something? Yeah, it'll hold value well enough, maybe increase too. But if the Hellcat is any indication, it's going to drop 35% plus in value in the first 3 years. Then again, the Hellcats aren't old enough to start seeing real appreciation and the more they make, the farther off that corner turning is. I'm not trying to dump on parades here, I'm just being honest with realistic info. As a counter point, the Mustang CJ is only made in 50-100 car increments and they don't even give it a VIN so you can't register it on the road without getting a VIN issued. This ensures that the buying process vets ownership by default. At 50-100 per year out of hundreds of thousands of Mustangs, that is a collector's item and many that aren't raced anymore end up in collections. The Mustang CJ has been running in AA/S class for Stock Eliminator in the NHRA since 2008. It was only running 11 second 1/4 miles then but by 2010, output could be bumped up to a "conservative" 475 and the car was run in A/SA class but in the high 10's easily when it should be in the mid-11's. So yeah, the car that can beat the Demon was available in 2012 when power levels went north of 600 horsepower with 1/4 mile times in the high 9 range from a 3200 pound car.

I'm not even going to go into what GM is doing with the COPO Camaros as of late but they aren't as fast as the Mustang but still faster tha

Lastly, there is already debate about how smart it is to put something like this in the hands of the general public. Being as I've actually driven a car that ran mid-9 second 1/4 miles on drag radials and we were sandbagging while doing it (car made 940 to wheels and at 2800 pounds was good for mid 8's), the Demon is not something that should be put in the hands of a regular pleb. Especially since it's really only bench racers that are buying them. That kind of acceleration is outright violent and very hard to control. It takes a good amount of experience to do it well too. I was called everything from female gender body parts to a liberal for saying so too.

Sometimes y'all are so out of touch it's sad, really.

They made 100 Thunderbolts and it was barely streetable. And not nearly as fast.

The Thunderbolt, as tested with a four-speed transmission at Lions Drag Strip in November 1963, ran a quarter mile of 11.61 seconds at 124.8 mph

You could go get groceries in the Demon.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Yeah there's really no comparing a 60's muscle car to a modern one. Suspension, engine, everything have come a long way. But since nooshinjohn is supposedly buying this car as an investment and claims he is only going to put 500 miles on it, I highly doubt it will be seeing much thrashing at the local dragstrip. I had a 9 second drag car and that is mighty fast. Easy to have something go wrong when you run that fast.
  • Jstas
    Really?

What kind of car was it?

• NOT a Demom, but this is the color.qdz18n63iq78.jpg

The Demon looks like this...5o9jd8bdno36.jpg

Great color ! Much more subtle than "Arrest me red".
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Look like a 12k car to me. If some one was on the side of the road they would not bat an eyelid
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You gonna put some spinners on the wheels
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Shouldn't that thing have a car cover over it?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

This discussion has been closed.