TODAY I STOLE ME A PIECE OF GEAR!

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    F1nut wrote: »
    Throw the lemon oil away too, more junk.

Dangnabit.... Ok.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    @F1nut

Which specific Guardsman polish? Seems there are quite a few......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    That's a beautiful piece!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I am digging the "channel balance verifier"! :)

The record changer -- is what it is. It is almost certainly a ceramic (piezoelectric) cartridge (there's a tiny chance it's got a magnetic cartridge, but I think it's unlikely).

I am not nearly as "down" on the console changers as are the vinylista of today (FWIW). With a good stylus and properly set up, it should be capable of playing a record without damage. I wouldn't play high-value vinyl on it, though :) Also, it is safe to assume that its rubber bits are probably hardened or otherwise showing their age. If nothing else, it may be noisy (rumbly) and/or exhibit wow, flutter and/or play a bit off-speed, or it may be too gunked up from age to work at all (platter and/or the changer functions).
  • EndersShadow
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am digging the "channel balance verifier"! :)

The record changer -- is what it is. It is almost certainly a ceramic (piezoelectric) cartridge (there's a tiny chance it's got a magnetic cartridge, but I think it's unlikely).

I am not nearly as "down" on the console changers as are the vinylista of today (FWIW). With a good stylus and properly set up, it should be capable of playing a record without damage. I wouldn't play high-value vinyl on it, though :) Also, it is safe to assume that its rubber bits are probably hardened or otherwise showing their age. If nothing else, it may be noisy (rumbly) and/or exhibit wow, flutter and/or play a bit off-speed, or it may be too gunked up from age to work at all (platter and/or the changer functions).

Yeah, I am going to get a quote on what it would cost to go through and get the amp and tuner up to spec, and a totally different one on what it would cost to get the TT up to spec and working.

Thankfully I dont really have any high dollar LP's, just stuff from my childhood that my dad played (which I also have digitally). I would like to eventually get it up and running but TBH as long as the tuner works and everything plays thats about all that really matters.

I am also going to bring the amp up to spec on the chance if things go south with other parts or whatnot I can take it out of the console to work as a power amp. Same with the pre-amp, though it likely would be a larger challenge to convert to something that didnt look really bad.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Nice score Dan. Don't forget to tape a nickle to the tonearm for LP playing. :#
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • EndersShadow
    PS the one somewhat cool thing was that it was suspended on some sort of shock absorbent platform, an attempt to minimize scratches and whatnot from people walking by and whatnot.
  • EndersShadow
    Manticore wrote: »
    Nice score Dan. Don't forget to tape a nickle to the tonearm for LP playing. :#

WHUH? :confused:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Very nice Dan, those old consoles sounded great. Of course the trouble today is, you can't exactly through them in your back seat to go get them worked on. If anything, it'll turn ya into a tube fanboy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    tonyb wrote: »
    Very nice Dan, those old consoles sounded great. Of course the trouble today is, you can't exactly through them in your back seat to go get them worked on. If anything, it'll turn ya into a tube fanboy.

Yeah there is that lol... thankfully my buddies shop is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road, so once I figure out what its gonna cost to get er up to spec, I will probably drive it down there to him.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Wow! Beautiful piece Dan! Congrats!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Cool find

I was a at sale few weeks back, they had 2 old consoles with tubes in decent shape, one was playing when I was there.

I almost bought one with the hopes of pulling the amps out to use for power.

I had no idea how one would go about pulling out the amps and making everything work, so I passed.

That thing looks to good to tear apart but If you end up doing that, take some notes for me on how you make everything work.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Yeah there is that lol... thankfully my buddies shop is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road, so once I figure out what its gonna cost to get er up to spec, I will probably drive it down there to him.

Cost is probably going to be more than your willing to spend. I'd probably just replace old caps and clean her up, especially the tube sockets. Bringing everything in that puppy up to spec can get deep in the pockets, concentrate on the amp part would be my advice. That's the heart and soul of those old consoles.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    A stacker TT. Gotta love it. Sweet looking piece of furniture that.
  • EndersShadow
    Cost is probably going to be more than your willing to spend. I'd probably just replace old caps and clean her up, especially the tube sockets. Bringing everything in that puppy up to spec can get deep in the pockets, concentrate on the amp part would be my advice. That's the heart and soul of those old consoles.

That's what I meant tony lol. Replace the caps that can/will go bad and make sure the tube amp and pre are working good, replace the bad FM bulb on the display and make sure all the speakers work.

Not a complete rebuild top to bottom.

• EndersShadow
    edited June 2017
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I was a at sale few weeks back, they had 2 old consoles with tubes in decent shape, one was playing when I was there.

I almost bought one with the hopes of pulling the amps out to use for power.

I had no idea how one would go about pulling out the amps and making everything work, so I passed

And you didn't call me.... I see how you are :wink:.

It's easy to pull the tube amps out.... then just send to bobby to convert it lol.... mainly it's making sure it's a stereo tube amp inside lol....
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I didn't know you was looking for something like that.

I've come across 4-5 in the last month or so. D'oh.... :s
  • EndersShadow
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I didn't know you was looking for something like that.

I've come across 4-5 in the last month or so. D'oh.... :s

Yup, looking to steal out a tube amp out of a dog of a console lol.....
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Sweet piece. Hopefully you can keep it as original as feasible.
  • EndersShadow
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Sweet piece. Hopefully you can keep it as original as feasible.

That I will do, as far as whats in WORKING condition... thats a different story :smile::wink: .

For now I will stick with just getting all speakers working and the amp refreshed, along with anything else that could use some new caps or resistors so that the FM works.....
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    DSkip wrote: »
    I personally would refrain from using it until its refreshed.

Debbie downer....it's not your house.

My vote is to crank it to 11!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • DSkip wrote: »
    I personally would refrain from using it until its refreshed.

Good advice. Old leaky caps could take out an OT.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice pickup! After you have the turntable working, do NOT play good records on it. I called them vinyl killers!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2017
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice pickup! After you have the turntable working, do NOT play good records on it. I called them vinyl killers!

I may just leave it as is TBH..... seems like the consensus is it's crap so why bother on that part at least lol.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    erniejade wrote: »
    But it's a really cool looking record player!
    Who cares if it cuts a new groove as it plays.
    Life's too short to play it safe with valuable vinyl.
    Except for mine.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    As the Germans would say...

popinfusen springzen flien....Poof
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    I noticed in one of the photos that this console has at least one of those charming "push to reset" circuit breakers in lieu of a fuse. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Marky's free tip for can capacitors. If the cans are "cold" to the touch when the amp's been running for a little while, their internal resistance isn't too high and they're not on death's door. That does NOT mean they're not time bombs... but at least the fuse isn't too short ;)

If the can cap(s) used in the HV power supply are even a little warm after the amp's been on for a little while -- they are BAD. VERY BAD.

In terms of the "capacitance" of the P/S caps -- if there are any issues, there'll be a hum (even with volume turned to zero).

Does that amp have a solid state or vacuum tube rectifier for HV? I didn't notice, forgot, or I couldn't tell :)

Also, in dim light, check the power output tubes for red plating. If the coupling caps are leaky (in the sense of voltage, not of their insides!) one or more of the output tubes may be red plating (so much current flowing that the plate gets red hot) -- this is VERY BAD TOO.

These are the kind of things that can kill vintage vacuum tube electronics when run 'as is'.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2017
    Here's a borrowed photo of a redplating EL34. Poor thing :(

redglow.jpg
    source: http://blog.thetubestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/redglow.jpg