Downsizing Home Theater - 5.1 To 3.1

Over the course of time, and with the exception of my two channel system, I have come to prefer the look of smaller speakers in my living spaces.

In my master bedroom system I went from SDA 1Bs to Magnepan MG12s to a small Bluesound 2.1 satellite/sub. My bedroom looks and feels much bigger and I don't miss the larger speakers at all.

067%20MBR-Rt-MPro4000-002r-s1_zpsmtve8jhl.jpg
Figure 1. Former master bedroom audio/video system.

PN2-Duo%20Installed%20In%20MBR-s_zps0yitqkyg.jpg
Figure 2. Current downsized computer audio-based master bedroom audio/video system.

In my home office, I went from a full two channel system built around SDA CRS+ speakers to a Polk Surroundbar IHT which sits on my computer desk.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/90260/polk-audio-surroundbar-sda-instant-home-theater

In my two channel system, I prefer a large sound stage, and that requires large speakers. Therefore I don't foresee a time when I would prefer smaller speakers in my two channel system. I might move to different speakers, but they will be different speakers of similar size to my SDA SRS 1.2TLs. I did do a bit of downsizing where the turntable and its associated electronics were removed.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174885/the-turntable-retirement-project

My home theater system was converted from a 5.1 system to a 3.1 system. The Polk Audio LSi15 speakers that were formerly used as surround speakers were moved to the front. The SDA SRS speakers that were formerly used as front speakers were moved to a bedroom closet, and will probably be put up for sale. It's highly likely that the LSi15s will be replaced by Polk Audio LSiM 707s in the near future. I don't plan to replace the dual LSi9s being used as center channel speakers.

srsdk_zpsaejxb9yr.jpg
Figure 3. Home theater front stage with SDA SRS speakers.

HT-LSi15FrontSpkEd-s_zpsr9sriezw.jpg
Figure 4. Home theater front stage with LSi15 speakers. My media room, or "keeping room" as it is called on the floor plan, looks and feels bigger without the coffin-sized speakers.

Of course, with the smaller front speakers, the front stage is not as large, but its adequate. I like it. I don't miss the surround speakers at all.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Ray.... stop.... can't you just stop and like what you have.
  • LOL, I do like what I have. I just like it more after I've changed tweaked it.

vqv0kfiu5p8c.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2017
    I have a feeling that if Polk comes out with a new "best" speaker line, after having now finished the Signature's and putting them on market, they will still be below the LSiM's in quality and cost. BUT. Maybe they won't be. I guess my only point is before buying the LSiM's maybe wait to see what their next move is.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • That is a good point. I'm not in any hurry to replace the LSi15s.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2017
    I love the lai15. Worst decision I made was selling them. Keeping my eye peeled for a pair locally.

I like you have down sized my theater, there are some changes and I like it A lot better.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited February 2017
    It's official Ray....YOUR OLD next comes cantankerous. :p<3

Someones going to get a very sweet set of SDA's when you sell.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Smaller speakers ? Blasphemy I tell ya. lol

This has one word written all over it Ray.....somehow someway.....there's a "woman" involved in these decisions. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    tonyb wrote: »

This has one word written all over it Ray.....somehow someway.....there's a "woman" involved in these decisions. :)

LOL! What's up with the quotations? It's like you're insinuating she's not really a she. :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Downsizing HT! never heard of such a thing. Actually my wife tried to have me do that once, didn't work out well.

If it is what you want why not.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb
    mrloren wrote: »
    Downsizing HT! never heard of such a thing. Actually my wife tried to have me do that once, didn't work out well.

LOL.....ONCE ? Never heard from again ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    mrloren wrote: »

LOL.....ONCE ? Never heard from again ? lol

Yeah in the year 2k we got our house, track builder had some deal with that B company to pre-wire for in ceiling speakers. They tried to push that junk but I was not about to spend a grand on junk speakers. I did put in Polk in-ceiling speakers. Gave it a try for a few months but I didn't like it much. Movies were ok but music sucked. I went to the garage to get my Advent Maestros and the wife tossed them, errrr.

As soon as I saw some good speakers on sale (my RTi8) I went back to floor standers.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb wrote: »

Quite the contrary. She likes the look and sound of larger speakers. I have been wanting to downsize the HT for some time, but relented due to the preferences of others. The HT is largely used for entertaining others.

My two channel system is just for me. :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You're wife likes more manly speakers than you do.

Don't think I could ever admit that, not even to a priest.
  • If she were my wife and this was "her" house, she might have a different opinion about large speakers. Wives tend to have different decor perspectives than girlfriends.
  • tonyb
    If she were my wife and this was "her" house, she might have a different opinion about large speakers. Wives tend to have different decor perspectives than girlfriends.

Amen to that Ray, either way, looks nice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Looks nice.

I've had my surrounds in and out of my HT several times now, my wife likes to re-decorate once a quarter...

Once they are out, I always say it sounds alright. Then I get the urge and re-connect everything and I get reminded of how great they can be.

A lot of it depends on what you're watching. General TV, surrounds are not doing much. Movies (at least ones that I like to watch), make it a whole different experience.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Hand in your man card and there is the door...

Just kidding. Glad you are enjoying your new setups. I like 5.1 but not having in 2 yrs I don't miss it on the main system.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Ray, in most instances your 3.1 will be 99% of folks HT setups lol.....

I dont know if I could do 3.1.... now L/R/C and then 50 million subs... I'm there :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • I seldom heard anything from the surrounds, and when I did, it was some small sound effect. That is why I don't miss them.
  • tonyb
    I seldom heard anything from the surrounds, and when I did, it was some small sound effect. That is why I don't miss them.

I find that odd, maybe you played movies without a lot of surround information in them ? Just asking because movies like Transformers has plenty in the surrounds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    I seldom heard anything from the surrounds, and when I did, it was some small sound effect. That is why I don't miss them.

I find that odd, maybe you played movies without a lot of surround information in them ? Just asking because movies like Transformers has plenty in the surrounds.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like something wasn't set up correctly. I haven't played any movie that I wasn't immersed in sound and my wife is looking overy her shoulder for the shooter behind her or the helicopter landing.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited February 2017

I do watch a lot of movies without a lot, or even without any, surround information.

I don't watch a lot of action movies, although I have some in my collection. I mostly watch "human interest" movies that focus on plot "regular" people rather than action movies, such as:

"The Godfather Trilogy"
    "Flight"
    "Pursuit of Happyness"
    "The Man Who Saw Infinity"

I also have a fair amount of film noir classic movies that are either mono or two channel.
    Thorton wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like something wasn't set up correctly. I haven't played any movie that I wasn't immersed in sound and my wife is looking over her shoulder for the shooter behind her or the helicopter landing.

Every thing is set up properly. One movie in my collection that comes to mind as having an immersive sound field is Iron Man 3. I'll have to revisit it in 3.1 and compare.
    1976doc wrote: »
    I love that entertainment center, where can i find one?

Salamander Synergy Quad 30 from Audio Advisor.

• EndersShadow
    1976doc wrote: »
    Does it have good ventilation, or can i add fans ?

They sell active cooling back panels if needed but the front of them is mesh and you can also get it with the sides being mesh too.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2017
    OK, I take back what I said about going from 5.1 to 3.1. I watched the following in both 5.1 and 3.1 and the 5.1 presentation was a more satisfying experience:

1. The gunfights in "The Magnificent Seven" (2016 version).
    2. The opening space battle and the light saber duel between Vader and Obi Wan in Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith.

As I stated before, most of my movie fare does not make much use of the surround channels. I had to think for a moment about some titles that would provide a good surround presentation.

Rather that doing LSiM 707s and LSiM 706C across the front stage, I am leaning toward LSiM 703 bookies and LSiM 706C across the front stage, along with LSiM 703 surrounds...something like this:

LSiM%20703Lifestyle_zpsgd3ag7d8.jpg

• EndersShadow
    OK, I take back what I said about going from 5.1 to 3.1. I watched the following in both 5.1 and 3.1 and the 5.1 presentation was a more satisfying experience:

1. The gunfights in "The Magnificent Seven" (2016 version).
    2. The opening space battle and the light saber duel between Vader and Obi Wan in Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith.

As I stated before, most of my movie fare does not make much use of the surround channels. I had to think for a moment about some titles that would provide a good surround presentation.

Rather that doing LSiM 707s and LSiM 706C across the front stage, I am leaning toward LSiM 703 bookies and LSiM 706C across the front stage, along with LSiM 703 surrounds.

Ray do you plan to stand mount the surrounds? I'd think the dipoles would be a better bet myself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    705's in front Ray. It's a better speaker than the 703 and you won't have to spend money on good stands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    I had that setup, but with the LSiFX as rear surrounds. It beat out the LSi 15 setup for HT although I'm one of the few that prefer the 15s over the 703s for 2 channel.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited February 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    705's in front Ray. It's a better speaker than the 703 and you won't have to spend money on good stands.

If I were to do tower fronts, I'd go for the 707s. I'll try both 707s and 703s in the front.

Ray do you plan to stand mount the surrounds? I'd think the dipoles would be a better bet myself.

Yes, stand mounted surrounds. I know dipoles are supposed to give a better immersive surround effect, but I have never liked the sound of dipole surround speakers. I'm willing to take another look at them though.

This trial is going to require

1 pair of LSiM 707s,
    1 pair of LSiM 705s,
    2 pairs of LSim 703s,
    1 LSiM 706C,

...and lots of time auditioning the different configurations with the 706C center:

703s all around,
    707s front, 705s surround,
    707s front, 703s surround,
    705s front, 703s surround.

• DarqueKnight
    F1nut wrote: »

After further research and consideration, I decided to go with black LSiM 705s in front and LSiM 702 F/X surrounds, and an LSiM 706c center. I should have the 705s and 702s by the end of the week. The 706c is on back order, and it appears they have been generally unavailable for some time.

057%20HT-RearStage-s_zpslu9waqje.jpg
    Figure 5. The 703 F/X surrounds will be mounted 6.5' from the floor just above
    the paintings on either side of the couch.

HT-LSi15FrontSpkEd-s_zpsr9sriezw.jpg
    Figure 6. The LSiM 705s are about the same size as the LSi15s currently used for front speakers.

One of the LSi9 speakers used for center channel duty has been disconnected. I needed dual centers for a more balanced and cohesive front stage with the very large SDA SRS front speakers previously used. The second LSi9 is not required with the LSi15s.

The center pillar of the Salamander Synergy Quad 30 cabinet presented some off-center placement issues when using a single center channel speaker. I initially thought I was going to have to place the 706c on top of the cabinet. This would require raising the TV 3" because the 9" height of the 706c would block a 3" high x 29" wide portion of the bottom of the screen. I didn't want to go to the trouble of installing a wall mount, electrical outlet, and in-wall wiring. I knew that Salamander offered TV mounts that attached to the rear of their cabinets. While searching the Salamander website for the appropriate TV mount for my cabinet, I found the right mount, but I also found this:

Model%20347%20Quad-s_zpszqz7bxpr.jpg
    Figure 7. Quad 30 cabinet with four large doors.

Model%20345%20Quad-s_zpsufuffizx.jpg
    Figure 8. Quad 30 cabinet with center channel shelf and two small doors.

My cabinet is offered in two versions, and one can easily be converted to the other. I ordered an extended width shelf kit and two small doors. The height of the center channel space is 9.25", which is just enough to accommodate the 706c's 9" height.

Salamander offers a $1400 L/C/R sound bar, made by Leon Speakers, that fits neatly into the center channel space. Tempting, but I'll stick with discrete speakers for now.

Synergy%20Sound%20Bar-s_zpsbk4ns4u6.jpg
    Figure 9. Salamander integrated soundbar - for those whose significant others don't like a room full of speakers.

The current (interim) HT speakers are LSi15 fronts, a single LSi9 for center channel, a pair of stand-mounted Fanfare Acoustics bookshelf speakers as surrounds, along with an SVS PB 12 Ultra/2 subwoofer. I am very pleased with the sound of this interim 5.1 speaker group and I look forward to installing the upgrade speakers.

The best home theater sound I have experienced in my home was with SDA SRS fronts, SDA 1C surrounds and a pair of SDA CRS+ centers. In the future, when I am more dedicated to home theater than I am now, AND when I have a dedicated theater room, I will return to larger HT speakers.