Bang and Olufsen: Beolab 90

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    edited December 2016
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey Joey Joey...I know the experimentation bug has bit you hard but take a breather man! Wait til you can hear this "thing" before you spend a cent on it. Who knows, it could turn out to be a story of more glitz than substance.

Nah I ain't buying it for 2-4 years. Just wanting to explore but I'm happy where I am.

I did speak to my wife in detail about it, she's open to the audition. Atleast she's tolerant and appears agreeable.

One thing she doesn't like about me giving up the media room/stereo room (dedicated) is that the speakers are open to the kids.

The SF Olympica 3 is one thing being left in the open.

This Beo90 is a whole 'nother beast. Kids and these might not mix... She said.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    They are more intriguing in person, but the 'flare' of the design is definitely polarizing. I have a hard time believing a speaker that retails for $85k from a company that survives off aesthetics and lifestyle can truly be a world class system in pure audio reproduction terms.

As far as a duality problem... I don't see that being their design goal as I sure wouldn't be spending $85k on speakers if it's not in a dedicated room.

It's not a typical system. This is a niche product methinks

Again I would keep an open mind. We all know that.

Recall cables.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Looks like climbing material to my. Nice big hand and foot holds built in. The kids will be perfectly fine with them.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I actually like the look of it with the grilles off. But don't think that would jive with 99% of the 'home life' situations out there.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Joey_V wrote: »
    They are more intriguing in person, but the 'flare' of the design is definitely polarizing. I have a hard time believing a speaker that retails for $85k from a company that survives off aesthetics and lifestyle can truly be a world class system in pure audio reproduction terms.

As far as a duality problem... I don't see that being their design goal as I sure wouldn't be spending $85k on speakers if it's not in a dedicated room.

Recall cables.

It is certainly niche by virtue of being an $85k set of speakers.

The cable analogy is interesting. The difference is that B&O has heady reputation, first and foremost for being better at marketing than they are at hifi engineering.

But keeping an open mind is important, agreed. Just know you have a ton of choices at that price range.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

Recall cables.

The cable analogy is interesting. The difference is that B&O has heady reputation, first and foremost for being better at marketing than they are at hifi engineering.

But keeping an open mind is important, agreed. Just know you have a ton of choices at that price range.

Honestly at the 85$ price point, it gets cut down quickly.

If I consolidate everything I own in the big rig I'm at $65 on audiogon.

At the $85 price point, it's not purely speakers. We aren't talking Wilson Alexx at a discount, it's basically about 20-35$ for a speaker, the rest is the upstreams.

So really this speaker is to be compared to whatever is out there at 20-35$ mark.

And there aren't many that hit 10hz, have full room correction, and fully active crossovers.

Initially I blew it off, but after really thinking about it, it's not too far off.

I wonder what BO would do for discounts... if they do 10-15% off, then you're right there. I doubt though because they want to keep that cache.
  • Joey_V
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Looks like climbing material to my. Nice big hand and foot holds built in. The kids will be perfectly fine with them.

You're right it looks like a climbing wall...

Yikes!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    For $85K or whatever near that price point I can think of millions of other things to spend $$ on. To each his own I suppose.
  • Joey_V
    For $85K or whatever near that price point I can think of millions of other things to spend $$ on. To each his own I suppose.

Totally I agree. But when you're close and it's a lateral move, it's not too much of a reach.

The one thing I don't like about a single item like this though is there is no piecing it out. Say, you get into money troubles - it's easy to say, alright, I'm going to pop the amp out and sell it on audiogon and downgrade to something less.

With this Beo90, you're in otherwise, you're out.

That's a big con to me.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Yep2 wrote: »

Thats... I'm talking about!!! When you talk about that money, your better off using that money to make money!!!

Who says I'm not? Don't assume.
  • Joey_V

Thats... I'm talking about!!! When you talk about that money, your better off using that money to make money!!!

Who says I'm not? Don't assume.

Aint no fututes/gains in audio my friend.

Yeah I agree with you on that.

But at some point, you gotta ask yourself - what do I need to live?

Or am I just here to pad my account?
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Paradoxex wrote: »

Recall cables.

Honestly at the 85$ price point, it gets cut down quickly.

If I consolidate everything I own in the big rig I'm at $65 on audiogon.

At the $85 price point, it's not purely speakers. We aren't talking Wilson Alexx at a discount, it's basically about 20-35$ for a speaker, the rest is the upstreams.

So really this speaker is to be compared to whatever is out there at 20-35$ mark.

And there aren't many that hit 10hz, have full room correction, and fully active crossovers.

Initially I blew it off, but after really thinking about it, it's not too far off.

I wonder what BO would do for discounts... if they do 10-15% off, then you're right there. I doubt though because they want to keep that cache.

No Joey that isn't how it works. My main rig lists at about $30k with the speakers and upgrades totaling $20k of that. You don't need $50k in other areas to push $20k speakers.

All due respect. It's different for each person I suppose, on mine I'm at $60-65 with speakers. Speakers account for 22K, since I did not buy them on audiogon this time.

$10K on sources.
    $4K on preamp.
    $20K on amp.
    $22K on speakers.
    $10K (expected total) on wiring.

Not including $5K on room treatments.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Your already there. Take inventory. Think of your future. New President Jan. 20th.

The goal of this thread is not to talk about finances, just ideas on the speaker.

The financials part for this speaker are my business and my business only - which by the way has a zero sum effect on the rest of the family.

If the wife approves it, it means the family is safe.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Exactly my point brother. You can compare a package like that to individual components in a system. You have to consider a system in its whole.

I get ya bud.

But alls I'm saying is that in my particular scenario, it's nearly a lateral move to the Beo90.

I do get what you're saying that you don't need $50K to push $20K speakers.

Clarification:

If the Beo90 is really that good at room correction and it really plumbs to subwoofer depths (10hz), it will save me money.

- No more need for a dedicated media room, I can scratch that from the plans for the house.
    - No more subs, even just 2 Rel G1 is about $10 large.
  • Joey_V
    I would have kept the Rockports. Lol!

I don't think so.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Whatever you decide, DO NOT buy a pair of Magico speakers. I have been in audio nirvana since getting my S5s. While I would like the v2 S5, or the S7, that desire is more academic than necessary. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Whatever you decide, DO NOT buy a pair of Magico speakers. I have been in audio nirvana since getting my S5s. While I would like the v2 S5, or the S7, that desire is more academic than necessary. :)

Hah. I am glad for you sir. That's a worthy accomplishment.

I am actually happy as well, I'm just entertaining the thought because it does change how I live with the big rig. I've been enjoying sharing the system with the family lately. I don't feel so isolated in my stereo room.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    You don't have to always be an audiophile. That's why I love the magnifi mini. It fills a niche in my house where it still sounds good but you just listen to the damn music. You don't have to spend four or five figures to enjoy music, especially when it comes to the family.

I know that.

Technically, we don't have to do any of this audio stuff.

We choose to.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    McIntosh wrote the book on upteen driver speakers. I would look in that direction for the coin.

That's a book no one should read.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    edited December 2016
    Kal of stereophile has similar ears as mine as he has enjoyed similar speakers in the past

Not a knock on you Joey, but having read numerous comments, opinions and recommendations of his over the years I've come to the conclusion that he can't hear very well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V wrote: »
    Looking forward to my audition in April.

Where are you going to audition them Joey?

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ueblq3wxj8vy.jpg
    Ok, I just ordered their listening shoes...?????????
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited December 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    McIntosh wrote the book on upteen driver speakers. I would look in that direction for the coin.

That's a book no one should read.

:)

Best line of the week, right there.

I am not a big fan of seriously multiple-driver designs in general (nor of the Mac loudspeakers in particular). That said, I have heard one line array that impressed me (favorably) -- the Pipedreams. They were pretty good.