Bang and Olufsen: Beolab 90

13»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,371
    Carver's new line source is amazing...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Has anyone heard the JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor System ? Several golden ears have deemed them the best speaker system they've ever heard. And they're only 20K !
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,948
    I hate when reviewers use that terminology, "best ever....".

Imagine the hit someone is going to take to try and unload a used Beolab 90. Think about that Joey.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,660
    The only hifi components I know of with depreciation rates steeper than high-end loudspeakers are (ahem) cables and "interconnects".
  • tonyb
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The only hifi components I know of with depreciation rates steeper than high-end loudspeakers are (ahem) cables and "interconnects".

Could be Mark, which is why I always suggest buying used. Skip is also right, along with many other areas. The one constant though is what.....analog. Never goes out of style, everything needs to be converted to it, and it's not prone to being outdated by technology advancements. Musically speaking, and financially too, your dollars are better spent on a good 2 channel analog pre amp....imho anyway. Will last a heck of a lot longer than a HT receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    To which I have never used an HT/AVR as a pre, Tony.
    But!....That's just me. My personal preference. I've observed the constant, near quarterly, so called "new technology"in pre-pro units.
    Take a step back and catch your breath, folks. Y'all have been chasing the latest and greatest technology without looking into the future staying power.
    Mantis started a thread about obsolescence........it's true. Have a look around at the disposable products in your house. Give them three years tops.
    But if you find that ONE pre, that one amp, that one source. Make them work together. Find what you want. Don't base your sound upon what could be the next best sound EQ algorithm.
    Take your music and make it sound beautiful to you........
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,739
    lightman1 wrote: »
    To which I have never used an HT/AVR as a pre, Tony.
    But!....That's just me. My personal preference. I've observed the constant, near quarterly, so called "new technology"in pre-pro units.
    Take a step back and catch your breath, folks. Y'all have been chasing the latest and greatest technology without looking into the future staying power.
    Mantis started a thread about obsolescence........it's true. Have a look around at the disposable products in your house. Give them three years tops.
    But if you find that ONE pre, that one amp, that one source. Make them work together. Find what you want. Don't base your sound upon what could be the next best sound EQ algorithm.
    Take your music and make it sound beautiful to you........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuiXF1i_JE
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    :D lookit Brydson. If I could call you an a$$hole here...I would. If could call your wife a two-bit smore...I would. But, this is a family forum.
    There are times I talk about audio...but not here. I hate you all for spending my money.
    I will find you, Brydson....and I will kill you...when you taste my pecan puff pastries..!!! They are to die for! o:)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,658
    If we are taking money out of it, like Joey wants to. I would never move to an "all in one" system.

Too much of this hobby is experimentation and trying new stuff. Put in that system and it's all gone.

I just could not tie myself to a system like that.

If you put the money back into it, once the novelty of the system wears off, you're stuck with an $85,000 anchor.

No thanks.

The way I'm looking at it, you would be giving up an entire system of end game quality gear; for a fad.

I can't help but think that you would be kicking yourself in very short order.
  • Joey_V wrote: »
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    They are more intriguing in person, but the 'flare' of the design is definitely polarizing. I have a hard time believing a speaker that retails for $85k from a company that survives off aesthetics and lifestyle can truly be a world class system in pure audio reproduction terms.

As far as a duality problem... I don't see that being their design goal as I sure wouldn't be spending $85k on speakers if it's not in a dedicated room.

It's not a typical system. This is a niche product methinks

Again I would keep an open mind. We all know that.

Recall cables.

It is certainly niche by virtue of being an $85k set of speakers.

The cable analogy is interesting. The difference is that B&O has heady reputation, first and foremost for being better at marketing than they are at hifi engineering.

But keeping an open mind is important, agreed. Just know you have a ton of choices at that price range.

Honestly at the 85$ price point, it gets cut down quickly.

If I consolidate everything I own in the big rig I'm at $65 on audiogon.

At the $85 price point, it's not purely speakers. We aren't talking Wilson Alexx at a discount, it's basically about 20-35$ for a speaker, the rest is the upstreams.

So really this speaker is to be compared to whatever is out there at 20-35$ mark.

And there aren't many that hit 10hz, have full room correction, and fully active crossovers.

Initially I blew it off, but after really thinking about it, it's not too far off.

I wonder what BO would do for discounts... if they do 10-15% off, then you're right there. I doubt though because they want to keep that cache.

I'm not sure this comparison is really fair. You can't isolate the speakers and assume the upstream components are comparable between the Beolab 90 and what you have now. Will the amps really compare to your current Boulder amp?

Furthermore, for someone who likes to tweak and try different gear as much as you do (you still haven't updated your sig to reflect the new speakers that have replaced your Rockports), you would be painting yourself into a corner. You'll sell the current gear at a slight loss, as some of it is new, and then if you ever sell the Beolabs to get back into separates, the loss will be much more noticeable.

I haven't kept track, but how many different purchases and tweaks have you made this year alone? The Beolab 90 is supposed to be end-all gear; your wife seems to think as much. What are you going to do if you get them?

I guess what I'm saying is that the speakers may be fine or maybe not, but I don't think you'll quit wondering about what could be next either way - and getting back into the game after selling the main rig will be far more difficult.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited December 2016
    I love swapping different components in and out as my tastes change, for that reason I would never buy those speakers. As much as I like the sound of a system, I'm all about showcasing all the little bits and pieces, it's all part of the fun.

On a side note: some of the higher end audis that come through our shop (S8) have B&O systems that sound really good. Complete with tweeters that rise out of the dash when you turn the key on, very cool!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,547
    Looking forward to my audition in April.

Where are you going to audition them Joey?

Headed to Chicago in April, going to ABT there. Simple room, I want to see if it can work in it. Otherwise, if it sounds remotely off - it's out.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    tonyb wrote: »
    I hate when reviewers use that terminology, "best ever....".

Imagine the hit someone is going to take to try and unload a used Beolab 90. Think about that Joey.

@tonyb

That would actually hurt.

Imagine a 50% hit. I think I buy and I'm stuck. The market for something this high up and all-in-one is small, requires the right buyer.

And someone who is willing to buy something convenient like this would probably not really care to buy it from the BO dealer rather than save some cash. So that's another negative.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I love swapping different components in and out as my tastes change, for that reason I would never buy those speakers. As much as I like the sound of a system, I'm all about showcasing all the little bits and pieces, it's all part of the fun.

On a side note: some of the higher end audis that come through our shop (S8) have B&O systems that sound really good. Complete with tweeters that rise out of the dash when you turn the key on, very cool!

The tweakability or lack of is definitely a con.
  • Joey_V
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    If we are taking money out of it, like Joey wants to. I would never move to an "all in one" system.

Too much of this hobby is experimentation and trying new stuff. Put in that system and it's all gone.

I just could not tie myself to a system like that.

If you put the money back into it, once the novelty of the system wears off, you're stuck with an $85,000 anchor.

No thanks.

The way I'm looking at it, you would be giving up an entire system of end game quality gear; for a fad.

I can't help but think that you would be kicking yourself in very short order.

Definitely agree Frank. $85K anchor is a heavy load.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Posted a thread about Beolab90 on audioaficionado and whatsbest. Seems like people actually found it good. Kal responded and says it is definitely a very dynamic and limitless speaker.

I guess all this talk is just talk until I hear it.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, it's like an echo of what I waas also thinking.

1. Anchor.
    2. Limit of tweaks.
    3. Would have to be sure it's the end otherwise, bad move.

We might head out to Houston this month, if that's the case, I'll audition there and bring some of my gear with me - mostly the transport and the AQ power cords. I wanna give this a fair shake. I'll post my findings on here.

Still got time anyway. No rush as no large audio moves to be made any time soon.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    Looking forward to my audition in April.

Where are you going to audition them Joey?

Headed to Chicago in April, going to ABT there. Simple room, I want to see if it can work in it. Otherwise, if it sounds remotely off - it's out.

Might be fun to meet up with some of us Midwest Polkies in the 'burbs to have a listen and shoot the ****. Keep it in mind when you head this way Joey.

I've been to that ABT store, nice, very nice and they bake cookies on the weekends for the customers. The entire store smells of fresh bake cookies when you walk in. My brother had a custom stereo installed in both his Audi S4 and Passat. They did a top notch job.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    Which store you guys talking about ? I'm more concerned about the cookies than the audio. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    ABT electronics in Glenview

http://www.abt.com/
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey_V
    We should do a meet up, meet up have a quick lunch, go to ABT and listen to the Beolab90.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Willow wrote: »

Saw those, and boy are they ugly. They look like ash trays.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,992
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Saw those, and boy are they ugly. They look like ash trays.

Cool ashtrays from the 70s
  • Joey_V
    edited January 2017
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You're starting to sound like a teen age girl, going on a first date. Yeah, wedding plans are being made, with at least the first 27 boyfriends.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,660
    Offered as a public service for anyone interested in these loudspeakers (& in the Boston area):

The Boston Audio Society
    POB 260211, Boston, MA 02126
    Tel: (617) 271-6588
    www.BostonAudioSociety.org
    Date: Sunday, January 15, 2017, 6:00 PM
    Place: The Bang & Olufsen Store @141B Newbury St., Boston, MA 02116, Tel: 617-262-4949
    Technical Manual: www.bang-olufsen.com/en/ product-support/loudspeakers/ beolab-90
    Guest: Robert Domos, VP Bang & Olufsen Newbury Street

BAS members are always interested in technology that advances our home musical listening experience. Bang & Olufsen’s new Beolab 90 Loudspeaker looks different, and they promise it will ‘…blow the roof off your house and knock the socks off your guests.’ The Beolab 90 has 18 dynamic drivers, 18 amplifiers, and enough DSP to control dispersion like no other popular speaker in the past. The range of dispersion patterns permits the speaker, not the room, to define the sound. The listener can control the width and the direction of the music/sound. According to the January 2017 review in Stereophile Magazine, the ‘narrow’ setting is optimized for us audiophiles.
    Robert Domos will demonstrate the $85,000 Beolab 90 with an assortment of musical samples. Members are encouraged to bring along a CD or USB stick with your favorite selections.
    ______________________________ _______
    Refreshments will be available at 5:30 PM

Message Ja17
    1. It has been generally believed that when human hair cells (which transmit sound information from the inner ear to the brain) in the ear are damaged, it is permanent and irreversible.Recently researchers investigating the sea anemone have found that a protein hormone from them shows promise for reversing the damage. Economist 20Au16

2. In a Stereophile article on Zev Veldman of Resonance Records, he talks about trying to recover mastertapes that were submerged in a facility in lower Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy. To restore them would be very costly, but they sent a dozen to Mediapreserve outside of Pittsburgh. They were washed and rinsed and whatever they did and it cost $2000 a reel. Nv16
    Boston, AES – www.bostonaes.org
    SMPTE, New England – www.smpte-ne.org
    ASA, Greater Boston Chapter of the Acoustical Society of America – www.gbcasa.org

Driving & Parking Directions
    Going east on Commonwealth Av, Boston, cross Mass. Av. and turn Right onto Exeter St. go Right onto Newbury St. Travel 0.2 miles to 1418 Newbury St. Parking is available at all meters (no fee) and a parking lot is available across the street from the store, corner of Newbury & Dartmouth St.
  • Joey_V
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Offered as a public service for anyone interested in these loudspeakers (& in the Boston area):

The Boston Audio Society
    POB 260211, Boston, MA 02126
    Tel: (617) 271-6588
    www.BostonAudioSociety.org
    Date: Sunday, January 15, 2017, 6:00 PM
    Place: The Bang & Olufsen Store @141B Newbury St., Boston, MA 02116, Tel: 617-262-4949
    Technical Manual: www.bang-olufsen.com/en/ product-support/loudspeakers/ beolab-90
    Guest: Robert Domos, VP Bang & Olufsen Newbury Street

BAS members are always interested in technology that advances our home musical listening experience. Bang & Olufsen’s new Beolab 90 Loudspeaker looks different, and they promise it will ‘…blow the roof off your house and knock the socks off your guests.’ The Beolab 90 has 18 dynamic drivers, 18 amplifiers, and enough DSP to control dispersion like no other popular speaker in the past. The range of dispersion patterns permits the speaker, not the room, to define the sound. The listener can control the width and the direction of the music/sound. According to the January 2017 review in Stereophile Magazine, the ‘narrow’ setting is optimized for us audiophiles.
    Robert Domos will demonstrate the $85,000 Beolab 90 with an assortment of musical samples. Members are encouraged to bring along a CD or USB stick with your favorite selections.
    Refreshments will be available at 5:30 PM

Message Ja17
    1. It has been generally believed that when human hair cells (which transmit sound information from the inner ear to the brain) in the ear are damaged, it is permanent and irreversible.Recently researchers investigating the sea anemone have found that a protein hormone from them shows promise for reversing the damage. Economist 20Au16

2. In a Stereophile article on Zev Veldman of Resonance Records, he talks about trying to recover mastertapes that were submerged in a facility in lower Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy. To restore them would be very costly, but they sent a dozen to Mediapreserve outside of Pittsburgh. They were washed and rinsed and whatever they did and it cost $2000 a reel. Nv16
    Boston, AES – www.bostonaes.org
    SMPTE, New England – www.smpte-ne.org
    ASA, Greater Boston Chapter of the Acoustical Society of America – www.gbcasa.org

Driving & Parking Directions
    Going east on Commonwealth Av, Boston, cross Mass. Av. and turn Right onto Exeter St. go Right onto Newbury St. Travel 0.2 miles to 1418 Newbury St. Parking is available at all meters (no fee) and a parking lot is available across the street from the store, corner of Newbury & Dartmouth St.

Nooo I missed it... (Checks watch twice)...