Bang and Olufsen: Beolab 90

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,547
edited December 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
I am typically not a fan of lifestyle products but after seeing this in person and reading about it, I think this speaker system is indeed a special one.

Since having Emma's Sonus Faber Olympica 3 in a public space within the house, I've come to appreciate being able to share a system outside the confines of the solitary stereo room.

At first look, the Beolab90 appears to be a bunch of hoopla and lifestyle tech... But upon further inspection it is truly a tour de force.

It has some pros going for it.

1. It requires no special speaker cable as it is direct connect. No need for Audioquest Wels for instance. $30k saved.
2. It requires no special XLR... Another 12k if looking at Wels for example.
3. No need for dacs (30k savings in my system). No need for a preamp ($8k in my system). No need for amps (no need for the Boulder, you don't have to ask how much that is).
4. The room does not need to be perfect, it integrates and room corrects.
5. Your sweet spot is your choice, you can be off center, you can be midpoint.
6. You can widen the beam for couch coverage with family.
7. You can omnidirect the sound if you're having a party.
8. It goes down to 10hz, no dual subs or substack required. Another savings.

I dunno, the reviews appear good, the product is not for everyone but for the right person it's perfect.

Cons:
1. No tweaking.
2. Might not be as good as a primed out 2ch system... But even that I doubt.

I have brought it up with the wife for the future, but it would have to be pretty special on my audition this coming April. It would also have to wait until I complete the next house as we would build a family or gameroom around it... Then I can use that as my stereo room.

It'll save me big bucks not having to build a dedicated bunker (50k-75k easy savings)

Just wanted to bring this up, strike a conversation.

I can foresee many here or there may not like it, but I think it's one unique system once you really think about it.

This is one system I seem to be pretty serious about... I have crunched the numbers and it is a doable swap. It would actually save me some cash. The wife gave the go ahead based on looks.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/collection/speakers/beolab-90

http://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker#C9fGruHkQDeMeSDp.97

0vgh9wfck6gh.jpeg

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    w00f!
    That's a whole lotta coin for a wireless speaker system.
    You could buy roughly 560 Polk Omni's and have enough left over, for a steak dinner, for the same price.

I think the strads, even charred to a crisp, would look better than those monoliths. :D

As always, i will live vicariously. Buy NOW!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,629
    Yikes! That does a lot, but out of the reach of most!

Awesome speaker though!! would love to hear it!
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    mrbiron wrote: »
    w00f!
    That's a whole lotta coin for a wireless speaker system.
    You could buy roughly 560 Polk Omni's and have enough left over, for a steak dinner, for the same price.

I think the strads, even charred to a crisp, would look better than those monoliths. :D

As always, i will live vicariously. Buy NOW!

It's not technically a wireless system, you have to send a digital signal via usb or spdif, which means likely a NAS type system or a transport CD/SACD into it.

I don't like that it will be digital vs what I have now is technically old school "analog" (though I don't have vinyl)... I will have to investigate what are possible firmware updates in the future in case MQA, etc turns out to be mainstream audiophile material.

But this system is freakin' nuts... every driver has its own amplifier. Even if I were able to get an active cross over for my current system and multiple mono blocks, it's still not the same. Even if I am able to apply room correction to my current system, it's STILL not the same.

There's nothing glaringly wrong with my current system, I like it a lot and it's the best I've ever owned, but this Beolab90 checks off the box for me "no longer requiring a solitary stereo room"....

When I audition, I will be bringing my AQ WEL power cords to the BO dealer, plug that sucker in.

Plus, it's not technically buy "now" buddy.... this is like several years out.

... but the seed has been planted.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    The only stipulation from the wife is I would have to do a 1:1 swap. Get rid of everything in the main rig short of the power cords. Then move it to the Beolab90.

No reason to do it any time soon because this house does not accommodate that behemoth.... and no reason to do it if I'm sticking it in the stereo room anyway because that doesn't serve any new purpose.
  • "The only stipulation from the wife is I would have to do a 1:1 swap."
    ME! ME! o:)
  • Joey_V
    "The only stipulation from the wife is I would have to do a 1:1 swap."
    ME! ME! o:)

Touché
  • mrbiron
    Joey_V wrote: »
    It's not technically a wireless system, you have to send a digital signal via usb or spdif, which means likely a NAS type system or a transport CD/SACD into it.

I don't like that it will be digital vs what I have now is technically old school "analog" (though I don't have vinyl)... I will have to investigate what are possible firmware updates in the future in case MQA, etc turns out to be mainstream audiophile material.

I did the "tour" of the product but didn't see an input for USB or SPDIF. All i saw was the app that B&O has developed. It just strikes me as odd that there is no way to tailor the sound. It's a basic, "deal with it" scenario or you don't buy it at all.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Joey_V wrote: »

I did the "tour" of the product but didn't see an input for USB or SPDIF. All i saw was the app that B&O has developed. It just strikes me as odd that there is no way to tailor the sound. It's a basic, "deal with it" scenario or you don't buy it at all.

I read that there was a way to tailor the sound, the Stereophile review Kal mentioned it in his conclusion. Also, regarding inputs, I believe he ran cables into the Beo90.

The proof will be in the audition. It had better blow me away. Last time I saw it in person, I chuckled at it because I didn't know what it was or what kind of engineering went into it. Now after reading up on it and researching it some more, it seems like there is some bonafide goods in that speaker system.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    @mrbiron

I'm reading the white papers.

Inputs include:

Digital: spdif, toslink, usb
    Analog: rca, xlr.

Drivers:
    All are TOTL scan speak tweeters/midrange/woofers. Including the midrange of the new Wilson WAMM and Alexx.

Fudge me.... this is an all out assault.
  • mrbiron
    I'm glad you can read....i just looked at pictures :p
  • Joey_V
    I'm glad you can read....i just looked at pictures :p

Well the pictures are pretty awesome so I get stuck with that too. I'm trying to decide whether it would look better in the room with or without the grills. I think that many woofers just looks... mean.

Ah... to dream a dream. Too bad it ain't for a couple years or so. I would like to pop one out of audiogon when the time comes... but something this TOTL, unlikely.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2016
    The B&O systems I used to sell in the 80's and 90's were never on the cutting edge of performance and sound reproduction. They were lifestyle products that were visually stunning, with just enough good sound to get by. Not audiophile, but rather a mix of good tunes while looking like nothing else.

I have no idea where the B&O company has landed since then. But they were always style and design before absolute performance. Better performance than Bose for sure. They also had a way of making 95% of their products proprietary so it was hard to mix and match components or even repair speakers. It all had to be B&O products and parts. That always turned me off. Special connectors for each system means you can only use that system.

Hopefully these will fulfill whatever grand hope you have for them. Be interesting to hear your thoughts. But I wouldn't bet the farm on them.

H9

P.s. I've read the Stereophile review and it doesn't convince me to spend $85K on these.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey_V
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The B&O systems I used to sell in the 80's and 90's were never on the cutting edge of performance and sound reproduction. They were lifestyle products that were visually stunning, with just enough good sound to get by. Not audiophile, but rather a mix of good tunes while looking like nothing else.

I have no idea where the B&O company has landed since then. But they were always style and design before absolute performance. Better performance than Bose for sure. They also had a way of making 95% of their products proprietary so it was hard to mix and match components or even repair speakers. It all had to be B&O products and parts. That always turned me off. Special connectors for each system means you can only use that system.

Hopefully these will fulfill whatever grand hope you have for them. Be interesting to hear your thoughts. But I wouldn't bet the farm on them.

H9

Agree H9, I hear ya that's why I called it a lifestyle product.

But this one in particular was their anniversary product and they seemed to have done quite a bit of research and development on it, not just put a string of drivers in a random omnidirectional pattern and slapped a design on it.

Like I said, I didn't even audition it last time I was infront of a pair because I was like BO seems silly.

I think I have to keep an open mind on this one, it might actually be good.

Kal of stereophile has similar ears as mine as he has enjoyed similar speakers in the past, he concluded that the Beo90 is as good as any in terms of overall sound, but better than any he has heard or had in his house in terms of integration and staging.

And that includes my current speakers which he owns.

The grand hope is a unit that will remove any need to have a dedicated sound/stereo room, and allow me to have my unit out in the open for everyone to enjoy. The O3 will still remain as a secondary system, it's Emma's technically so I ain't selling it.
  • Joey_V
    Interesting video for all of us, it explains sound staging and why things sound the way they do. I learned a bit from watching this video. Not just about the Beo90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0hjRHCYs0&t=1377s
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,660
    edited December 2016
    Only one piece of b&o hardware here -- nothin' fancy, but it's a pretty good one.

25277999734_db5e0833e2_b.jpgDSC_2913 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (and no, the ST-40 is not powered up -- and yes, that is mrbiron's Reduction phono preamp!)

Their loudspeakers have never been things to be trifled with. "Lifestyle" notwithstanding, they've been responsible for many fine loudspeaker products over many decades. Stereophile seemed fairly impressed with the titular loudspeakers in a very recent review (FWIW).
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    The beo5 or beo20 while I'm sure are good appear to be truly lifestyle/design over substance (though live never heard so I am just assuming)... Likely something I would not touch. But this beo90 seems pretty snazzy and offer enough in terms of specs that if they include firmware updates, would essentially last decades.

Looking forward to my audition in April.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't know that their record includes sustainability? I saw these in person and found the design laughable, but I admit they did not have them hooked up for demo. I would be hesitant to jump on the gravy train until you get ears on them.

I think they support legacy products, even their older CD players they allow to link into their newer integration system.

That said I'm not a BO fan for 98% of their products as I think it's too much design and not substance. But this could be different.

I think for their halo product they will support. These are questions I am going to ask them. Because if I purchase a pair, likely it will be direct from BO so I get full support.

I will listen to them as I am quite picky. I have heard way too many systems that don't float my boat.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,493
    B&O = Bose for rich people.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    DaveHo wrote: »
    B&O = Bose for rich people.

That's what I originally thought until I read the white papers and looked into beo90.

Bose has no interest in fidelity. All they want is shock and awe, boom and shizzle.

The beo90 they took the best drivers from scan speak, the same Wilson uses, took engineering, compared to similar products, and tried to solve a duality problem between the audiophile and the family man.

Only time will tell if this is any good, April for me.

I'm keeping an open mind on this one.

Room corrected this guy goes to 10hz... Smokes what I got.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,948
    Even if they do sound good, I couldn't get past spending 80k for something uglier than Rosie O'Donnel in a mud wrestling match. Dang....haven't seen anything that objectionable in a very long time.

Well, not since Russ dropped his drawers to show a bartender his underwear anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    b&o's previous statement loudspeakers (Beolab 5) also got very good press.
    The fellow who designed them actually lived in Groton, MA, about 10 minutes from where we lived in MA in those days.
    http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/collection/speakers/beolab-5

12622150_10153203835786607_1466032738145129570_o.jpg

FWIW, when it comes to truly ugly but expensive loudspeakers -- I think the Wilson Audio products pretty much win first prize, maybe closely followed by MBL.

As to their legacy product support -- to their credit, they did continue to sell cartridges for their turntables (which, I'm sure many of you know used a proprietary, ultra-low mass mounting scheme) up until ca. 2002 (well after they stopped selling tts). But they did stop selling them. Fortunately Soundsmith basically picked up the baton and continues to sell their versions of the (rather excellent, actually) b&o "Micro Moving Cross" (moving iron, like a Grado, Pickering, or GE "Variable Reluctance") cartridges.

WebHyperion.jpg
    voice108.jpg
  • mrbiron
    @mhardy6647
    Why cover the tubes? Afraid to melt the lamp cord :p
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well, not since Russ dropped his drawers to show a bartender his underwear anyway.

Dude..she asked....I complied. Free drinks!
  • mhardy6647
    @mhardy6647
    Why cover the tubes? Afraid to melt the lamp cord :p

Do you mean on the Reduction? To reduce (electrical) noise; the 6DJ8 is a high gain tube and needs to be shielded for best results when working with mV input signals. That's why there are bayonet shield sockets on the tube sockets. I pulled a couple out of the junk box to put on it when it arrived here (what was that? Five or six years ago now? oops ;)).

Didn't the kit come with shields?

or, if you're asking about the ST-40... because when I found it on the scrap metal pile at the Harvard town dump, it had the stock EICO perforated metal cover on it :)
  • This content has been removed.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,739
    Yep2 wrote: »
    For that kind of coin, i'd do a home audition. For like 3 weeks...

Interesting thread to jump into with your 1st post...
  • ken brydson
    Your right.

Motive?
  • ken brydson
    Nope.

OK, cool. Welcome to Club Polk!