Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Al Bano, well known for the song "Felicita", was recently hospitalized due to a stroke. He is recovering now.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    Options
    kp72iywu57md.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,121
    Options
    I like Nutella. Paisan!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Options
    These 2 guys were spotted at the Hong Kong HMV

30927244723_85221a7b94_z.jpg
  • maximillian
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Guess which cold cut is the most popular in Italy? Cool how they hand slice it (ladies in the front). I could have bought a whole leg for about $40 but US customs would probably have had a conniption.

qtcaq0bfyaie.jpg
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like Nutella. Paisan!

Nutella + coffee ice cream = Cappuccino Slam

A wonderful flavor of ice cream.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    @tonyb,

It's GRAVY! :)

In Jersey it's Gravy, everywhere else....it's sauce, including Italy. lol

I think the Italian word for it is "sugo," for which one correct translation into English is "gravy." Another correct translation is, of course, "sauce."

With that said, I confess that my wife's Italian-American family is largely from the New York metro area, and her parents reared her in New Jersey.

So, I'm biased toward "gravy."
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Biscuits and gravy...
    Sausage gravy....the only kind of gravy.
    Southern types of Polkies speak now!
  • maximillian
    Options

I think the Italian word for it is "sugo," for which one correct translation into English is "gravy." Another correct translation is, of course, "sauce."

Sugo only means sauce. There is no real word for gravy in Italian. Loosely people may translate gravy but it is Americanized. Italians typically don't drown their food in gravy. The closest thing to gravy you get is "Bechamel" sauce. I have used bechamel mixed with red sauce in lasagna, but not used as a gravy.

It's just like "pepperoni". Order a pepperoni pizza in Italy and you won't get what you expect to. Pepperoni in Italian is a large pepper, i.e. a bell pepper.

• tonyb
    Options
    Ohhh....my favorite topic, food. The man is right, Italians do NOT drown anything in sauce. The sauce is suppose to cling to the noodles, not do the backstroke in it.

Everything though in Italy, food wise, is regional. Rome on south is great for the heavier Red sauces and wild boar sauce. Northern and coastal areas are seafood based, or lighter sauces.

Whatever region your in, your going to want to order that regions specialty foods and wine. Why ? Because that's what they do best, picked fresh, made fresh, cooked to perfection.

BTW Russ, I have a soft spot for southern Chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy myself. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I like basil pesto. Check that. I freaking love basil pesto.
    I could eat it at least two meals a day, probably three, in perpetuity.

We grow garlic and basil so we can make -- pesto. We eat it fresh, of course; it's wonderful on fresh-made pasta. But, I also freeze the stuff in ice cube trays, then pop out the pesto cubes and store 'em frozen, in quart plastic containers, in the deep freeze. A few can be pulled out, thawed (or not) and tossed with pasta to get a taste of summer in the middle of winter.

As a bonus, we don't much worry about vampires here.

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I don't have any pesto pictures, but I can share some of tomato sauce making.
    The Italian contingent will probably shake their heads, but I use a Stonewall Kitchens recipe for a roasted sauce that is really easy to make, tastes wonderful (to us, at least!) and has the side benefit of making the house smell really wonderful while it's being made!

Best of all, we make it with 100% home-grown vegetables and herbs -- and you just can't beat that.

Here's an in-process hot.
    28878851224_e40aa32fae_b.jpgDSC_5721 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Here's the final product -- the CFL hood lights over the stove make it look a really odd color, for which I apologize. It is much more handsome in real life.

29395260972_ce77b2b19b_b.jpgDSC_5722 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I froze away 6 gallons of it this year :) (plus, of course, we ate a fair amount 'fresh') -- it was a great year for tomatoes.

PS Mrs. H always manages to be away on a birding trip when tomato harvest time comes around in early September :)
  • maximillian
    Options
    Agreed. Don't get me started on soupy pasta dishes. One of my biggest turn-offs is to see excessive liquid in pasta.

I personally don't like gravy but I am not saying it sucks. It simply isn't an Italian way of doing things. Also, people look at me funny since I don't drown my mashed potatoes in gravy. I am not criticizing people for doing so, it's just not how I grew up eating. It's just a different style of cooking. Same goes with pizza... although Italians invented it, IMO Americans perfected pizza. I am not a fan of Italian pizza although it's not bad, but greatly prefer pizza in the US.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Pizza is a matter of tastes. Italians for the most part are thin crust brick oven pizza with lighter toppings. You won't find sausage/pepperoni on it, but you will find Arugula, or what they call rocket lettuce, some shaved cheese, Prosciutto. Or a pan style in other regions but the most famous and probably closest to Americanized pizza is from Napoli.

The differences are obvious, Italian pizza is actually not bad for you because they are using the freshest ingredients possible. Can you say the same for Americanized pizza ? Plus your not going to get a super sized pizza in Italy like here in the states. Portion control, believe it or not, is big there in restaurants. Don't ask for a doggie bag either, they don't have them. You eat all or leave it, and if you don't eat it all expect to be questioned why not.

Always hard to compare thing to the states....in Italy they grow food to feed people in a certain town locally. Here, we grow food in select states to feed 350 million, and import the rest from Mexico. A bit harder to do without chemicals and preservatives, warehouses to store stuff which all have an effect on quality of the food you eat and obviously the health benefits.

....which is why I'm a big proponent for local farming, and not too happy with the big guys who have money to sway laws in their favor like Monsanto, that seeks to choke out the small local farmers. Like we say in audio, it all starts at the source. Your food and health is no different.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    BTW Mark, looks awesome on the sauce. Your using your own homegrown stuff which is why it's probably a knock out.

Pesto.....was fabulous in Italy on pasta. Seriously, first bite I put my fork down and heard angels singing it was that good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote: »

Come on, that TFA Stormtrooper would never be on the same timeline as Vader! (I'm a nerd) :-)

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    Options
    D2Lo wrote: »
    Danny Tse wrote: »

Come on, that TFA Stormtrooper would never be on the same timeline as Vader! (I'm a nerd) :-)

Maybe hes just a fashion forward storm trooper whose the trendsetter for this new look lol.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Moose68Bash
    Options

Sugo only means sauce. There is no real word for gravy in Italian. Loosely people may translate gravy but it is Americanized. Italians typically don't drown their food in gravy. The closest thing to gravy you get is "Bechamel" sauce. I have used bechamel mixed with red sauce in lasagna, but not used as a gravy.

It's just like "pepperoni". Order a pepperoni pizza in Italy and you won't get what you expect to. Pepperoni in Italian is a large pepper, i.e. a bell pepper.

OK! I say, "Uncle!"

"Sauce," it is! :)

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Our little rescue dog, Annie, 2 months in our house and making herself at home.

8fcl0p4fkocl.jpg
  • D2Lo
    Options
    93a9xf5j6a0x.jpg

This is our little rescue, Enzo. He is a Cardigan Corgi / Chihuahua mix. He was a stray we adopted about 10 months ago.... sometimes he "helps" me sketch.
  • EndersShadow
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ^Ive got a Corgi as well (Fox)... and a terrier mix(Chewbacca aka Chewey)... and a wiener dog mix (Achilles).....

I may have a problem lol....

Then we have my wife's cat Sophie and my daughters beta fish Blue

Last two dogs were rescues from a organization and a family member who had to give up the dog so we took it in to keep it from going to the pound.

The pics show Fox, Achilles, Fox and Chewey, Chewey and Skye my daughter

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,140
    Options
    wy3bziyq9etd.jpg

Love a good pizza
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Dan, Dan, Dan... My daughter Kara has been BEGGING for a Corgi for a year now. She thinks she's getting one for Christmas...

She's not.
  • EndersShadow
    edited December 2016
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Dan, Dan, Dan... My daughter Kara has been BEGGING for a Corgi for a year now. She thinks she's getting one for Christmas...

She's not.

Come visit sometime when your out and about and she can play with Fox.

I will say they are awesome pets. The terrier... well he's cool, but around new folks he's NUTS.....

059.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

034.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    BTW Mark, looks awesome on the sauce. Your using your own homegrown stuff which is why it's probably a knock out.

Pesto.....was fabulous in Italy on pasta. Seriously, first bite I put my fork down and heard angels singing it was that good.

Heck, even my New Hampsha pesto has that effect on me.
  • D2Lo
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »

She's not.

Come visit sometime when your out and about and she can play with Fox.

I will say they are awesome pets. The terrier... well he's cool, but around new folks he's NUTS.....

cute. My wife and I are a sucker for the rescues. Our last was a Dachshund Beagle mix named Louie who came from an abusive home where he was kicked around and shot at with bee bee guns... after a year of acclimating we got him to understand that we wouldn't let anyone hurt him, but still so much attitude in such a small dog with those two breeds. I had never seen a 20lb dog boss around pitbulls at the park before... he passed Thanksgiving before last at 16. We couldn't go more than a few months before we got Enzo but I wanted to adopt 3 more of course...
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    wphjraafp330.jpg

George Washington Bridge | Down Under

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Nice photograph!
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    h9kc2ghqzzst.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Took a week to drive it & the Skyline drive on a Baltimore to Ashville, NC vacation.
  • D2Lo
    Options