Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    agfrost wrote: »
    nspindel wrote: »
    I still can't believe someone got themselves banned from CP in this group buy!

it was well deserved. Good times.

Dude totally went off the deep end.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    F1, I may well be mistaken but I thought I had been told by you that my blade blade 2b speakers were of the type that can be used. It seems that we spoke in another thread about it. My 2bs have one active cable in the interconnect. Only one cable connects between the speakers, the other blade has no connection whatsoever. It terminates to nothing but a blade on the cup/backplate never attaching to the crossover network. I think I spoke with you but maybe it was someone else here and they said I could use an AI-1 / Dreadnought however I would need connect / terminate it at the speaker grounds. When I have time I will try and look back thru my threads and see if I can find it. Thanks for the advice about the 800VA transformer. I have a thread in WTB about a used one and I can wait if need be. I do not have the extra cash now to order new however I do have a case picked out. An old Eico tube Oscilloscope case gutted out. At least I thought about it anyway.

Ok, I thought you meant 2 separate cables, but I understand what you meant now. As I said, some blade/blade 2B's can use the AI-1/Dreadnought and it seems yours would be one. There is a list of serial numbers of those that can, but I don't have access to it right now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    F1nut wrote: »
    There is a list of serial numbers of those that can, but I don't have access to it right now.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/131691/2b-and-early-1c-ai-1-modifications

9823.jpg
  • I just checked my SDA-1C's and they are serial numbers 6545 (Right), and 6533 (Left).

Anybody know what are the "plug adapters and some internal modifications to the crossover"? I have always used a common ground amp (GFA-555) with my SDA-1C's, but I also would like to try my GFA-565 mono-blocks if I can make a tweak to the crossover.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Sorry Schurkey, I just noticed the link you provided. Sounds like a very straightforward upgrade.

One question, why do we need to connect the "other blade" to the negative binding post? I thought that even with the AI-1 compatible pin-blade configuration, only the pin carried any signal, and the blade wasn't hooked up to anything. Am I confused?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2016
    The pin and blade carry signals with the original AI-1 in which case the blade is connected to the negative circuit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1nut. I always learn something every day on CP!
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    Thanks F1nut. I always learn something every day on CP!

No doubt on that one. These guys have forgotten more than I will ever know about Polk speakers.. Now, I will read and document more so that one day I no longer be called "grasshopper".
  • VSAT88
    Some early production 2Bs and 1Cs used leftover component's from the 3rd generation. Cabinets, IC Cables and Sockets, and I recently had a 1C that had jury-rigged 1B circuit boards. Always best to check exactly what you have.

Undoubtedly westmass, thats why I am always hovering around here at CP. I have not found anything that I could not destroy yet by thinking that I know what I am doing ! I am learning better now...So I hope.
  • VSAT88
    Schurkey wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    There is a list of serial numbers of those that can, but I don't have access to it right now.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/131691/2b-and-early-1c-ai-1-modifications

9823.jpg

Thats the cats meow ! Thanks . Duly noted and snipping tool used to document for the next time..and there will be a next time.
  • nspindel
    I was traveling yesterday and was sitting in the airport terminal, and started thinking about that scooby doo character being banned, but I couldn't remember the details of what happened. I started re-reading the whole thing while I was waiting to get on the plane. Absolutely insane.

If anyone wants a lesson in how to get yourself banned from CP, check this dude out. Everything was going just dandy until page 8, when Larry started the whole thing by putting up a link to his thread in the for-sale forum, which a few people couldn't see yet because they'd not posted anywhere. Read the next 6 pages or so.

I forgot that he called Melanie himself and tried to hijack his way back into the sale. That guy went completely off the deep end!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • I received a call and an email back from Melanie.
    Melanie%20from%20Avel%20Lindberg%20response.jpg
    Avel%20Lindberg%20Quote.jpg
    Please let me know if you are interested in participating in another group buy.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Dammit I want one,but can't afford it until I get my tax refund in February.
    Also @250GTLusso you might want to follow the lead of the previous newbie poster and have one of the forum members who've been here longer take this over.
  • GDP
    GDP Posts: 27
    Thank you for the responses, I will check my serial numbers, you guys are great.
  • I have no problem handing it over to a more senior CP member. I just thought I would get the ball rolling!
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I could use one, but need the case that Larry was making...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GDP
    GDP Posts: 27
    Looks like I'm good on the 2b's both start in the 15xxx, but my SRS 2's are only 563 and 565.
  • Schurkey
    GDP wrote: »
    Looks like I'm good on the 2b's both start in the 15xxx, but my SRS 2's are only 563 and 565.
    Blade-Blade SRS-2s? They're the first-generation SRS 2s, based on the SDA 1B. Cannot use the isolation transformer. The later-generation was based on the SDA 1C, which can use the transformer.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Ha, I forgot how crazy this thread turned..
  • 250GTLusso wrote: »
    I received a call and an email back from Melanie.

Hmm.. Just a thought. That quote shows an isolating transformer with 115v per tap on primary and 119.8v per tap on secondary. This is a slightly skewed ratio so that when the secondary is under load there is no net voltage drop. That makes sense in a power isolation application, but is not ideal in our symmetrical use case. If Avel Lindberg are making these to order, do you think they would make one with 115v no load secondary I.e. 1:1 turns ratio on the windings?

I guess with my dreadnought, the soundstage is skewed slightly right or left, but the room itself probably accounts for more non-symmetry :-)

• Schurkey
    That quote shows an isolating transformer with 115v per tap on primary and 119.8v per tap on secondary. This is a slightly skewed ratio so that when the secondary is under load there is no net voltage drop. That makes sense in a power isolation application, but is not ideal in our symmetrical use case. If Avel Lindberg are making these to order, do you think they would make one with 115v no load secondary I.e. 1:1 turns ratio on the windings?

I guess with my dreadnought, the soundstage is skewed slightly right or left, but the room itself probably accounts for more non-symmetry
    You're not the first to notice that discrepancy. We've been assured that it doesn't make any difference.

OTOH, nobody has tested a true 1:1 transformer using the same wire gauge on both primary and secondary--i.e., genuinely symmetrical.
  • nspindel
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Ha, I forgot how crazy this thread turned..

Hey man, you started it!
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    As for my part... I went to my priest. I am absolved....
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • nspindel
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    As for my part... I went to my priest. I am absolved....

Ron, you've got to be good for three more posts on this thread. Then you can finally see the for-sale thread about Larry's enclosure!
  • nspindel
    By the way, I double checked and the price we paid for 12 units in this group buy in 2014 was $292.88/each. So they haven't increased prices since then. I do recall a price increase when I did this order over the first group buy that I did for these transformers, so if there's interest in doing another one, I'd advise that you get it moving forward, because you never know when they can decide to raise prices again.

I bet if you put up a new thread as an interest check for a group buy, you'd be able to put a crew together fairly quickly.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    ^You did such a great job last time....
  • Count me in! All we need is 10 interested members right?
  • Ok, so we have the following interested parties in the next group buy:

1.) 250GTLusso
    2.) Drumsolo
    3.) honestaquarian (need confirmation)
    4.) nooshinjohn (need confirmation)
    5.)
    6.)
    7.)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.)

Any others?
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Count me in for one.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Awesome! Thank you vcwatkins.

Ok, so we have the following interested parties in the next group buy:

1.) 250GTLusso
    2.) Drumsolo
    3.) vcwatkins
    4.) honestaquarian (need confirmation)
    5.) nooshinjohn (need confirmation)
    6.)
    7.)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.)

Any others? Come-on, I know you are out there :-)
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)