Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Maybe. Or maybe it makes an audible difference for the better. It definitely sounds better than all the alternatives I have tried.

Having heard the 800VA AL transformer and the 1000VA AL transformers, I agree with DK that the 1000VA transformer is vastly superior to the 800VA.

I never heard the Plitron 1000VA transformer, however.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    Darqueknight as always you are a wealth of information. I hadn't seen your write up on the Plitron before, certainly answers some of my questions! I have been digging a little deeper into the transformer issue, having a friend who owns a Transformer Manufacturing co is helping ( I think, lol.) You will laugh at what I am currently using, a deal came up for a pair of Cambridge Audio 851W power amps, 800 @4ohms bridged each. That purchase forced my hand on building an isolation unit. Not being sure what direction I would go in, I quickly grabbed what I had at hand, a 300va laminated core 1:1 isolation transformer. It works "great" and allows me to have SDA with monoblocs until I come up with (decide on a) a better unit. Having run with this set-up for a month now, I have to say I am duly impressed with the sound! Far and away better than a straight interconnect cable. I will post my findings when I have some!
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • allstock wrote: »
    You will laugh at what I am currently using, a deal came up for a pair of Cambridge Audio 851W power amps, 800 @4ohms bridged each. That purchase forced my hand on building an isolation unit. Not being sure what direction I would go in, I quickly grabbed what I had at hand, a 300va laminated core 1:1 isolation transformer. It works "great" and allows me to have SDA with monoblocs until I come up with (decide on a) a better unit.

Your solution is nothing to laugh at since it works better than a straight cable and it also works better than the stock AI-1.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    DK, if I can re-state the point you're trying to make, maybe this would clarify things. Please correct me if I'm interpreting you wrong, but I think the point you are making here is that the Avel 1000VA that we've been purchasing in these group buys is not sounding better than the 800VA stock unit because of the extra 200VA. It sounds better because it is a low-noise design built specifically for audio. It is a better, more suited for purpose unit than the 800VA is. One would think that if Avel had an 800VA unit designed specifically for audio, it might sound just as good as the 1000VA. But they don't, so we are using the 1000VA. So the extra 200VA is essentially a red herring in terms of figuring out why it sounds better. Correct?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    The placement of the instruments from the 800 to the 1000 was a big plus as well..

I don't think the 800 sucked by any means though..
  • allstock
    Technically none of these were designed to do what we are doing with them. They were designed to have AC wall voltage going threw them. They are a flavouring, or seasoning device. Every different transformer you put there is going to sound different, because they interact with the crossover in the speaker. Clearly DK's excellent research has turned up a winner, the A-V 1000va unit. I don't fully believe that is because it is an "audio" unit, likely it is just happy coincidence that unit and the Sda's are a good fit. Without another group buy there won't be any more of them. I also won't have one to compare to the several I'm going to try. I may see a correlation to the ones I try that work well vs the specs of the A-V 1000 va unit. Either way it gives me something to mess with over the winter!
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • nspindel wrote: »
    DK, if I can re-state the point you're trying to make, maybe this would clarify things. Please correct me if I'm interpreting you wrong, but I think the point you are making here is that the Avel 1000VA that we've been purchasing in these group buys is not sounding better than the 800VA stock unit because of the extra 200VA. It sounds better because it is a low-noise design built specifically for audio. It is a better, more suited for purpose unit than the 800VA is. One would think that if Avel had an 800VA unit designed specifically for audio, it might sound just as good as the 1000VA. But they don't, so we are using the 1000VA. So the extra 200VA is essentially a red herring in terms of figuring out why it sounds better. Correct?

That is correct.

I would add that the 1000VA's extra headroom may provide an audible improvement with high powered amps and bass transients.

Avel does make a 1000VA in the same series as the 800VA, but Avel said it was not recommended for our purposes. The 1000VA Plitron medical grade transformer was better in some aspects than the Avel 800VA, but the 800VA Avel was better in overall stereophonic performance.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    allstock wrote: »
    Technically none of these were designed to do what we are doing with them. They were designed to have AC wall voltage going threw them. They are a flavouring, or seasoning device. Every different transformer you put there is going to sound different, because they interact with the crossover in the speaker. Clearly DK's excellent research has turned up a winner, the A-V 1000va unit. I don't fully believe that is because it is an "audio" unit, likely it is just happy coincidence that unit and the Sda's are a good fit. Without another group buy there won't be any more of them. I also won't have one to compare to the several I'm going to try. I may see a correlation to the ones I try that work well vs the specs of the A-V 1000 va unit. Either way it gives me something to mess with over the winter!

Allstock.....you out there? Interesting to know what you found out with your implementations with isolation transformers...
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • allstock
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    allstock wrote: »

Allstock.....you out there? Interesting to know what you found out with your implementations with isolation transformers...

Yes I am here! I only mess with the rig in the winter months. I am in the process of moving and did not do any experimentation as I had planned. I am actually pretty happy the way it is currently. Fortunately I am moving to a bigger house and my listening room is going to go from 11'6" X 29' to 15' X 14'6". I know not ideal dimensions but I have an entire 1500 sq ft unfinished basement to work with if the almost square room doesn't work out!
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    We look forward to any feedback you have on other isolation transformer possibilities you might experiment with. Good luck with the move, and all the efforts & headaches that entails!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • I know I am relatively new to CP, but I have been a Polk owner (SDA-1C) since 1987, and have been dedicated to the SDA line. I have recently acquired a pair of ADCOM GFA-565 mono-block amps that I would like to use with my 2.3TLs that I acquired about a year ago. I have decided to utilize a Dreadnaught in lieu of strapping the negative terminals together. I have also decided to use the 1KVA Avel Lindberg toroid. Given that these are special order, with a minimum order quantity of 10 units, I thought I would bump this thread back to the top of the list to see if we might be able to get 9 others interested in a group buy?

Any others interested?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    If you don't get enough interest, the 800VA isn't that far off the mark.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• What does one of those 1kva's go for anyway?
  • nspindel
    A few years ago they were at $280 each if you bought 10 units. But I'm sure the price is up a bit since then, you might want to try calling Avel and ask them. Ask for Melanie.

The group buy works great because Avel ships them individually to each person who purchases, the person coordinating the transaction is just the point person for the payment.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    I still can't believe someone got themselves banned from CP in this group buy!
  • I just spoke with Melanie at Avel Lindberg. Very nice lady. She was so funny. When I said that I was calling about a certain audio grade transformer, she said "...ohhhhh I know the one you are calling about!" She is going to provide me with a quote (tomorrow) for a minimum order of 10. I'll provide the cost and schedule details as soon as I get them.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    nspindel wrote: »
    I do Neil, I remember the whole thing LOL
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    voltz wrote: »
    OK I'm in then, I doubt I'll find any SDA to need it, but never saw never and maybe someday a polkie will want a Dreadnaught.

Plus I'm in a good mood, just upgrade the crossover's in my Monitor 4's myself and only burn my self once and It sounds awesome. I went with Claritycap PX's and it works LOL and sounds really sweet without any burn in time!

Your GREAT !! Love those PX Clarity caps as well !
  • GDP
    GDP Posts: 27
    I have a question, I have a pair of 2 b's that are blade / blade can they use the dreadnaught or is it just the pin / blade version?
  • Pin blade only, blade blade are a whole different breed :)
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• I take that back some blade blade will work however you will have to examine the crossover and make sure it follows the pin blade design.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• VSAT88
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Congratulations scuba, you're out. If you're going to sling more insults at DK's research and reduce it all to a placebo effect, then I feel no reason to help you get your hands on one of these transformers. We have each other's backs around here. Check your paypal, you've been issued a full refund.

Drumminman, PM coming your way.

AWESOME Neil

I do not have a use for one but I will help out if need be on this.

If you guys cant sell it I will sell something if I have to and buy it myself. I have never read a post like this here at Club Polk..Petty does not cover it by a long shot. These guys have taught me all I know about Polk Audio speakers and I hold them in high regard. Shame on you Scuba.
  • VSAT88
    Improvisation! I love improvisation! Well done.

Now, let me betray my ignorance: What does "rattle can" mean? Does it mean that you painted the seat base with spray paint?

Thank you for the detailed description of the "build." All I need to do is to find some surplus "line control" stands -- for lack of a better term.

I want to build stands for a pair of vintage Allison 6 speakers that need to be elevated and backed up against a wall. Yours look very sturdy and about the right height. And, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them! :)

Thanks, again.
    Yes just like drumminman mentioned it's just a can of black spray paint. And yes thanks; that's a good description of the stand as "improvised". It does serve the purpose quite well, didn't cost much, and it was a fun build as well.
    If you're ever down this way I have a pair of those line control stands (minus the boat seat mounts) that are excess to my needs. They're yours for the asking. I'm sure with a little "improvisation" they would work great with your Allisons.
    I do believe it's time for me to give back a little karma to another polkie after all that I've received mostly from this thread.

Did someone say where we can get said "black spray paint" ?? LOL.
  • VSAT88
    Scott_Free wrote: »
    If anyone is selling a 800VA unit please message me. Thank you.

Yeah, me too ! LOL
  • VSAT88
    I take that back some blade blade will work however you will have to examine the crossover and make sure it follows the pin blade design.

Hey, you may have the same version of the 2bs that I
    have and they are straight thru. One cable is all that is
    required between mine. If I am right that means you can most
    definitely use a dread..At least I think that's what was explained
    to me.
    Double check and maybe this link will help. Hope I am not too far off topic..

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170934/sda-iib-single-active-wire-in-the-interconnect-isolation-transformer-question#latest
    GDP wrote: »
    I have a question, I have a pair of 2 b's that are blade / blade can they use the dreadnaught or is it just the pin / blade version?

• F1nut
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Scott_Free wrote: »
    If anyone is selling a 800VA unit please message me. Thank you.

Yeah, me too ! LOL

You can buy the 800VA version from Avel, it's a stocked item.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    I take that back some blade blade will work however you will have to examine the crossover and make sure it follows the pin blade design.

Hey, you may have the same version of the 2bs that I
    have and they are straight thru. One cable is all that is
    required between mine. If I am right that means you can most
    definitely use a dread..At least I think that's what was explained
    to me.
    Double check and maybe this link will help. Hope I am not too far off topic..

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170934/sda-iib-single-active-wire-in-the-interconnect-isolation-transformer-question#latest
    GDP wrote: »

It has nothing to do with having a single cable, all SDA's have a single cable. It has to do with the design of the crossover. The general rule is in order to use the AI-1 or Dreadnought the speakers will have the pin/blade cable/socket. There are a very limited number of blade/blade 2B's and a few other models that can use the AI-1 or Dreadnought.

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    F1, I may well be mistaken but I thought I had been told by you that my blade blade 2b speakers were of the type that can be used. It seems that we spoke in another thread about it. My 2bs have one active cable in the interconnect. Only one cable connects between the speakers, the other blade has no connection whatsoever. It terminates to nothing but a blade on the cup/backplate never attaching to the crossover network. I think I spoke with you but maybe it was someone else here and they said I could use an AI-1 / Dreadnought however I would need connect / terminate it at the speaker grounds. When I have time I will try and look back thru my threads and see if I can find it. Thanks for the advice about the 800VA transformer. I have a thread in WTB about a used one and I can wait if need be. I do not have the extra cash now to order new however I do have a case picked out. An old Eico tube Oscilloscope case gutted out. At least I thought about it anyway.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421

it was well deserved. Good times.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Some early production 2Bs and 1Cs used leftover component's from the 3rd generation. Cabinets, IC Cables and Sockets, and I recently had a 1C that had jury-rigged 1B circuit boards. Always best to check exactly what you have.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/