Bose 901s run done

Options
It looks like the Bose 901 series run is over. Some might snicker but for the time the technology was so far a field from anything else out there. I think almost a 50 year run and not to have a 50th anniversary edition more than likely says sales are no where justified in mass producing these speakers. Over at AK it was confirmed w/ a call to sales then I asked some receptionist where it was like pulling teeth getting it out of her but she did say they were going with another technology but there were plenty in stock. (Lady I you told I wasn't buying just asking) Another fav to some and widely despised here speaker system gone. Big with these was to hang them upside down from the ceilings and as some of you know had more do not place here notes than where to place them. They looked perfect for corners, nope. Before the 801 pro line came out they did get used for club monitors and p.a. by changing out the terminal lugs to mic plugs. Does anyone care ??
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Meh.....even in their day they weren't really all that. I think many people get sucked into the nostalgia they had for this time period.

They could play loud and in the 70's that was paramount. But I think in today's world the hype far exceeds the goods.

No fanfare needed..............

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    901's always crack me up. They were the first set of speakers I remember my dad having.

They were hanging from the ceiling, as leftwinger57 described.

They were powered by a pioneer spec 1 and spec 2. Now remember this was in '78.

I was never really impressed with them but I was only 9 in '78 and already caught the audio fever. :)

Now to the most memorable audio day at my house. It was when I helped my dad unhook the 901's and bring in the SDA SRS's. That was when I thought wow.... I have never been the same sense.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Sad to hear, but inevitable, now that Amar is no longer with us.
    All R&D essentially ceased in 92', for the most part, with the exception of new cone material and a return to cloth surrounds in the past decade.
    For the naysayers, if they're not your cup of tea, that's fine. I love my Series II Continentals as much as my SDAs.
    The "secret sauce" is in the Equalizer. When rebuilt with quality, audio grade components, the difference can be astounding. An awful lot of detail was lost running through the poor quality Electrolytic, Ceramic and Film Capacitors used back then.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I almost bought a pair of 901's at the time when I was looking at my first SDA-1B's. Good stuff if you had the power and the right room.
    Then again the same could be said of the earlier SDA's anyway.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    The 901 has been way too maligned by folks (like me!) who thought they knew it all based on what they read or were told.

They are very interesting loudspeakers, and the commercial versions (was that the 802? I am too lazy to check!) are pretty darned decent for sound reinforcement in a small package for a small-ish venue.

The 4.5" pincushion frame CTS (OEM) driver used in the early series of 901s is a darned nice little driver, too.

They popped up in a lot of different places, back in the 1970s in particular.

12801319773_b958bc4f1b_b.jpgmodelnine by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

:)

• westmassguy
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The 901 has been way too maligned by folks (like me!) who thought they knew it all based on what they read or were told.

They are very interesting loudspeakers, and the commercial versions (was that the 802? I am too lazy to check!) are pretty darned decent for sound reinforcement in a small package for a small-ish venue.

The 4.5" pincushion frame CTS (OEM) driver used in the early series of 901s is a darned nice little driver, too.

12801319773_b958bc4f1b_b.jpgmodelnine by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Much of the negative opinions I've read online, are from people who've never actually heard them setup properly, and given plenty of clean power. They're parroting what others have said.
    The Series I drivers were off the shelf from CTS.
    The Series IIs had improved drivers custom made for Bose by Rola and CTS.
    They used New Zealand pulp for the cones, and have slightly heavier voice coils.
    This was done to improve overall frequency response, and the heavier voice coils were needed for the new 800 series PA Speakers.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I had a pair and I loved them honestly. Suspended from the ceiling on chains because I couldn't afford the stands back then. I think properly set up (as with SDA's) with good clean power, they would surprise many I agree David. Would love to hear a set with your equalizer upgrades!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Options
    They really are a much misunderstood speaker, most only thinking "Oh, No, it's Bose", the 901's with the proper EQ in a decent sized room, with loads of clean power can really live up to the best of what's out there back then, not so much now. Anyone ever try to refoam those 9 drivers? Grrrr! Not fun but, must be done on these lovely old girls.

The direct/reflecting sound has been advanced to a much higher level by Maggies, and my much loved Martin Logans.

I remember my Mom making a pair of macrame' hangers for the next door neighbors for their 901's, too cool for school, wish I had a pic.
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • westmassguy
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    I had a pair and I loved them honestly. Suspended from the ceiling on chains because I couldn't afford the stands back then. I think properly set up (as with SDA's) with good clean power, they would surprise many I agree David. Would love to hear a set with your equalizer upgrades!
    I've rebuilt between 300-400. I've lost count actually, so there may be one lurking near you :smile:
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    stuwee wrote: »
    They really are a much misunderstood speaker, most only thinking "Oh, No, it's Bose", the 901's with the proper EQ in a decent sized room, with loads of clean power can really live up to the best of what's out there back then, not so much now. Anyone ever try to refoam those 9 drivers? Grrrr! Not fun but, must be done on these lovely old girls.

The direct/reflecting sound has been advanced to a much higher level by Maggies, and my much loved Martin Logans.

I remember my Mom making a pair of macrame' hangers for the next door neighbors for their 901's, too cool for school, wish I had a pic.

The Series I & II have treated cloth, and late model Series VIs do as well.
    When I re-edge the Series III through VI, I only use v-roll, treated cloth surrounds, not foam.
    It's not difficult, just tedious doing 18 drivers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

12801319773_b958bc4f1b_b.jpg
    modelnine by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Much of the negative opinions I've read online, are from people who've never actually heard them setup properly, and given plenty of clean power. They're parroting what others have said.
    The Series I drivers were off the shelf from CTS.
    The Series IIs had improved drivers custom made for Bose by Rola and CTS.
    They used New Zealand pulp for the cones, and have slightly heavier voice coils.
    This was done to improve overall frequency response, and the heavier voice coils were needed for the new 800 series PA Speakers.

Great information; thanks for posting it.

EDIT: Yeah, 800. I thought it was one different than the 901, I just thought it was one more ;)

The Bose 800 (see the rather poor scan below -- I need to rescan that page one of these days):

14320223969_e1f2760323_b.jpgp0063 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • westmassguy
    Options
    The 800s have an interesting history, as Lew alluded to. When the 901s were first introduced, local shops were reporting back to Bose, that local musicians were buying them for PA use. They flipped them around, put a handle on them, and changed the binding posts to 1/4". Some wrapped them in Tolex, and put corner guards on them.
    Bose created the 800s as a result of this, towards the end of the Series I production. Series II 800s had the more robust drivers. They substituted a 50 watt, 7 ohm resistor in place of the 9th driver to keep the Series/Parallel internal wiring configuration.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Way back in the '70's my buddy had two pairs of 901's, one pair facing the wall and the other on top facing forward. He powered them with two Crown DC300's and the IC150 preamp with the Bose EQs. He had a Thorens TD-125 with SME tonearm and Shure cartridge. We both worked for the same audio store and managed to convince Arnie Nudell to consider making us an Infinity dealer. Arnie came to Baltimore and we wined and dined him and took him to my buddy's house and played his system for him. If I remember correctly he was fairly impressed with the sound, but suggested that my friend really needs to get a set of Infinity Servo-Static speakers if he wanted the next step. He also turned us on to Audio Research gear and the plunge down the bunny trail began.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    When I was in grad school - there was a guy a couple of years ahead of me who had a DIY 'quad' (EQ and all) of 901s, complete with a delay line for the 'rear' pair.

Oh. And SWTPCo "Tigersaurus" amplifiers. Almost goes without saying, doesn't it?

The 901 clonies hung on chains from the ceiling (near the corners) of the living room of "The House" -- sort of a grad school coop/commune that housed a number of JHU and JHMI life science grad school students (including the woman who would, years later, become my wife... but that's another story altogether).

Lots of raucous fun had at The House.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Referring back to 78 ish my friend like I said did hang them in a pretty small room. Remember in S.F. even back then a very expensive city to live in and most people did the multiple roommate thing or even frat house style. This meant if you didn't want your gear in a common area and in your room space was tight in mostly victorian houses. He powered them w/ a Marantz 2240 I think and really never let them air out. I recently talked to him and asked if he still had them and he said no, all the surrounds rotted away. Now, I had 601s which to me was a way better choice. They had dual 8'' woofers slanted on top and mid cabinet front firing and on top also was the tweeter array. On the back by the hook up nuts was a slide switch which in symmetrical position kept the sound front firing or asymmetrical which unleashed the sound to bounce off the wall in it's rear to get that all around sound. I actually regret selling that pair. Powered by the GFA-555 they got their groove on....
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    man Rick those are fugly no Equalizer box but play fine.....that there is an audi file....
  • westmassguy
    Options
    My Continentals are a little nicer than those:
    q0udz2q8fhkg.jpg
    m2zehxf2g6un.jpg
    bamwmh7zacj8.jpg
    0pfseg77ub7x.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    very nice Dave probably the best looking Bose speakers I've seen in awhile.

I never dug the dual back splash ports on the 901's...like geesh if you want more sound coming out the front how about one more speaker in front....
  • westmassguy
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    very nice Dave probably the best looking Bose speakers I've seen in awhile.

I never dug the dual back splash ports on the 901's...like geesh if you want more sound coming out the front how about one more speaker in front....

Thanks. Those ports on the III-VIs were designed by an aerospace engineer. That's why they look like the business end of a 70s era jet engine. They switched to a ported design starting with Series III.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    And here I am in search of a pair of Series II 901s...just to play with...but as with everything, it must come to an end. Nothing lasts forever as well all know.

Here you go Ken. Time for a road trip!! :)

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/5798837620.html

hrm not worth it...don't even look like Series II as I see foam surrounds...not the folded cloth and I think wmg might agree there. Oh and the other side of the continent...definitely not worth a roadtrip lol.

That's what dirty Series II Drivers look like. They're cloth, not foam

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    My Bose 141's have served me well and will continue to at my new house. I used to dream of having 901's but that was when I was young dumb and broke, now I am old dumb and broke.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Back in the mid-70's when I was a broke 3-striper in the AF, I used to drool over 901's. I am pretty sure they were $900 new but I don't remember if that included the equalizer or not.

Never owned any Bose (mostly bought AR speakers back then) but still have some nostalgic thoughts about them.
  • maximillian
    Options
    All R&D essentially ceased in 92', for the most part, with the exception of new cone material and a return to cloth surrounds in the past decade.

Where'd you get that info from? There's still plenty of R&D at Bose going on. It's just that the market for component stereo's is not as big as it used to be so there is a shift in market focus.
  • westmassguy
    Options

Where'd you get that info from? There's still plenty of R&D at Bose going on. It's just that the market for component stereo's is not as big as it used to be so there is a shift in market focus.
    R&D on 901s ceased in 92. I had a long conversation a couple years ago, with one of Bose' retired engineers. Filled me in on quite a few things. He also mentioned they knew all about me, my website, and what I was doing with the early equalizers. That put a shiver down my spine. When I expressed concern, since Bose is one of the most litigious companies around, he laughed. He said all the tech guys were digging what I was doing, and not to worry about it.

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • maximillian
    Options
    ahh, sorry. I thought you meant all R&D and not just the 901. OK, got it. Bose is still very much an engineering company. There are suits, but it's a great place to work if you're an engineer. I joined in 2014. I wasn't a huge fan of Bose at the time, but now I love the place.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Owned a pair of 901 VI's for 14 yrs. Enjoyed them ALOT. Running the EQ line-level and having monster power and proper placement; they sang. I ran 600watts/rms @8ohms into them, compliments of Soundcraftsmen bridged amps.

For all their faults (mostly from lab-coat wearing listeners), while they weren't "great" at any particular thing, they were "good" with everything. This is why they were so popular for so long, IMO.

Agree, MOST detractors likely never heard them outside of a "showroom."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ahh, sorry. I thought you meant all R&D and not just the 901. OK, got it. Bose is still very much an engineering company. There are suits, but it's a great place to work if you're an engineer. I joined in 2014. I wasn't a huge fan of Bose at the time, but now I love the place.

Dave has become on of the best Bose repair specialist world wide from the equalizers to the reforming of the drivers etc... yeah they have to know him by now :) but his knowledge is such that he has done many of us Polkie's crossover updates & repairs that his has become a special and a outstanding member of this forum for many of us ;)

Glad your with Bose and enjoying it :) and I am sure you can appreciate like many us his talent (Dave's) & that he gives advise freely so quickly to anyone needing help on the forum!

got to love this forum and the members who have gave so much of their free time to help other enjoy their Polk's and other products since the early 2000's
    as Beavis and buthead would say: ROCK ON
    jrzkcl88gxu0.gif
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Series III's with stands. Ran them with a Sansui G9700. 200 real watts per channel. I think Canada called once for me to turn them down... ;)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Canada's like that sometimes.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a thread jacker but I just spent a week hanging out with my Pops who had recently acquired a pair of 501s. Loved the big sound they produced, but the left woofer would pop at loud volume. Quick question: where is a good starting point to look for a replacement driver?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)